Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
This can all be summed up by whether we believe Ross has a naturally high football IQ or not. Some players don't need to be taught certain things and have an innate ability to just feel the game better. You can tell Ross has to think and grind over what is the right thing to do with the ball. Which is why he is at his best when he has no options and can just run at players and/or just let one rip from outside the box.

Compare this to players who have lesser Natural ability but feel the game better. They know what needs to happen but don't have the ability to consistently do it bc of ability/physical limitations.

I think we tend to be harsher on the former example, like Ross. It's bc we are all thinking of what he could be if he just figured it out. My fear is Ross just lacks a little something in the football IQ dept and will be a very nice player, one capable of some awesome moments, but not a truly class one bc of this limitation

I hope I'm wrong
Going to the game gives (in my opinion) a much more comprehensive and balanced view of an individual players performances.

Obviously there is still some subjectivity to it as people have different opinions (and some are just entrenched in their view), but you see more.

For me, Barkley yesterday and okay to goodish performance, slightly increased by his well taken goal. Nothing specular and still with concerns.

If you watch on TV then you see his goal (great as mentioned) and his shot in the first half, showing his ability to switch between feet.

What it doesn't show however is his inability or unwillingness to put a tackle in, and his tendency to sometimes let the play pass him idly.

Neither does it show his mazy runs which more often than not end up with us losing the ball, as he fails to distribute the ball or take a shot.

They were aspects that I noticed yesterday that were evident in many of his performances last season.

I'm not criticising Ross here if that's how it may appear as he was influential in the game with his goal, yet he's still far off being a top player.

Technically he has the attributes however I've said all along that he lacks mental attributes like composure, guile and tenacity.

They can be developed but they're much harder to coach than tactical attributes. If he can enhance them then arguably he can flourish this season.

Personally, people who mention him as a MOTM contender are being slightly over zealous. That's just my humble opinion though.

For me Galloway and Jagielka were more consistent and influential throughout the game bar Ross scoring the necessary goal.

I utterly agree @Pittsburgh Footy and I've mentioned similar concerns regarding Ross and his apparent 'potential' in the past.

Technically he's extremely gifted and that's for all to see, but it is the application of this ability where he tends to lack. It's mental attributes.

Unless he develops his decision making and adds some persistence, guile and exertion to his game then he'll never become a great player.

He'll always be a good player as the talent is there, but it's another step up. Hopefully it is a lack of experience rather than fundamental issues.

People have always compared him to Gazza and although I like Ross, he is nowhere near the level Gascoigne was at similar ages.

He had abundance of talent which he exerted on games, but was also on times a bloody 'yard-dog' who'd get stuck in. Ross doesn't at all.

He wasn't even our best younger player last season, let alone one of the best in the UK, Europe or beyond. Still a long way to go...

I utterly agree @Pittsburgh Footy and I've mentioned similar concerns regarding Ross and his apparent 'potential' in the past.

Technically he's extremely gifted and that's for all to see, but it is the application of this ability where he tends to lack. It's mental attributes.

Unless he develops his decision making and adds some persistence, guile and exertion to his game then he'll never become a great player.

He'll always be a good player as the talent is there, but it's another step up. Hopefully it is a lack of experience rather than fundamental issues.

People have always compared him to Gazza and although I like Ross, he is nowhere near the level Gascoigne was at similar ages.

He had abundance of talent which he exerted on games, but was also on times a bloody 'yard-dog' who'd get stuck in. Ross doesn't at all.

He wasn't even our best younger player last season, let alone one of the best in the UK, Europe or beyond. Still a long way to go...

I think its definitely an experience thing, I think he has it in him, he just has to figure out the mental part of the game, like you said. Experience will help him with hopefully help with decision making and when to pass the ball off or keep it for himself. It almost seems like he forgets what he is doing and starts just dribbling around. He is and will always be a good player and at times showing qualities of a great player. It now is in Ross's hands to go from good to great.

So why is everyone so desperate for creativity when apparently Barkley is so creative? Wehardly ever have clear cut chances which says it all

Problem for Ross is that he has too many fans still butt hurt over Rooney leaving desperate for him to step into waynes shoes and if he doesn't do it instantly he's not good enough.

Does anyone remember Bale, Suarez or Ronaldo being as good as they are now at age 21? No neither do I just let the lad develop ffs

You do realise playing behind the striker your job is to create chances?

Yes and he creates chances, maybe not as many as we'd like but he creates them... If they aren't converted then he doesn't get an assist. Why not rage at the people not converting the chances he creates ? Should have had two assists yesterday but they weren't put away... And yet you try and make out he can't even create a chance.

And Gazza getting "stuck in" pretty much ended his potential and almost his career.

So why is everyone so desperate for creativity when apparently Barkley is so creative? Wehardly ever have clear cut chances which says it all
If he rasp goals in like that and has another playmaker with him you will see the potentential of Ross- in that midfield what would Fabregas create??????

Yes and he creates chances, maybe not as many as we'd like but he creates them... If they aren't converted then he doesn't get an assist. Why not rage at the people not converting the chances he creates ? Should have had two assists yesterday but they weren't put away... And yet you try and make out he can't even create a chance.

I do believe there was a stat last season that did say he created a lot of chances.

http://www.squawka.com/players/ross...eason-2014/2015#126#all-matches#1-38#by-match

33 chances created last season.

Problem for Ross is that he has too many fans still butt hurt over Rooney leaving desperate for him to step into waynes shoes and if he doesn't do it instantly he's not good enough.

Does anyone remember Bale, Suarez or Ronaldo being as good as they are now at age 21? No neither do I just let the lad develop ffs

Good points Gerrard stats when he was 20 was poor as well. It took him 4 seasons at the rs to start getting very good stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back