Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me mental but I'd like to see how Ross would fair on the wing for a few games, for me he lacks in some areas as a central player:

Tackling/breaking up play = no, not enough positional anticipation, a lot of his (rare) attempts to challenge for the ball are on players who have already gone past him through the middle.
No. 10 = no, he gets tunnel vision for the goal in central advanced areas and is never looking to lay off or pass.

However:
Running with the ball = yes
Early delivery from wide = seen this a few times now
Delivery from advanced wide? = unknown, but our wing-backs over-lap and do this anyway.

While Gerard is injured I think Ross cutting in from right and Kev cutting in from left could cause some real problems and remove our irritating predictabilty.

Call me mental but I'd like to see how Ross would fair on the wing for a few games, for me he lacks in some areas as a central player:

Tackling/breaking up play = no, not enough positional anticipation, a lot of his (rare) attempts to challenge for the ball are on players who have already gone past him through the middle.
No. 10 = no, he gets tunnel vision for the goal in central advanced areas and is never looking to lay off or pass.

However:
Delivery from advanced wide? = unknown, but our wing-backs over-lap and do this anyway.

While Gerard is injured I think Ross cutting in from right and Kev cutting in from left could cause some real problems and remove our irritating predictabilty.

Roberto will love this. Anything that prevents him starting two wingers, and keep playing two defensive midfielders.

At the end of the day Barkley is playing number 10 and is meant to be next big thing yet hardly ever creates chances nevermind set up a goal.
Pretty sure he put it on lukakus head for a clear goal five yards out but rom mistimed his leap. Then he played through mcarthy who should have done better. Plus he scored a rocket and had a good shot saved. That's off the top of my head so yeah. He did nothing yesterday.

However:

He played on the wing for most of last season and struggled. He needs to play in a settled position this season and not be moved around.

However:

....if you were an opposition manager or wide player you'd be chuffed because Barkley isn't so good going back towards his own goal. I saw him for young England against a minor country some seasons back and a young full back had a field day against him. They had to bring Barkley off in the end.

.....you know what I mean, he's easy to run past.

Yeah definitely, slightly less of a problem on the wing than in the middle.

Honestly I don't remember seeing a lot of him on the wing, I guess I have just blanked out last season.

Hello mental.

Wasn't this tried last year, and isn't it just playing yet another player out of position?

It was tried time and time again last year, and I don't remember it working well once. What's the definition of insanity again?

Honestly, being played out of position is the last thing Barkley needs. His confidence was dented badly last season by his inability to perform to the crowd's and his own standards.

Pretty sure he put it on lukakus head for a clear goal five yards out but rom mistimed his leap. Then he played through mcarthy who should have done better. Plus he scored a rocket and had a good shot saved. That's off the top of my head so yeah. He did nothing yesterday.

Hahaha spot on.....it's mental how many blues seem against this lad or seem to only see what they wanna see.

Yes he doesn't make every single pass, No he doesn't have the creativity yet of a 28yr old Fabregas or whatever age David silva is....

But he does create chances (is it his fault no one finishes them?) he does things on the ball our other players could only dream of, he scores rockets!! And he's a 21yr old blue FFS.....

The same people will moan there ass's off when he moves on...and really sets the world alight under a top class manager.

Hahaha spot on.....it's mental how many blues seem against this lad or seem to only see what they wanna see.

Yes he doesn't make every single pass, No he doesn't have the creativity yet of a 28yr old Fabregas or whatever age David silva is....

But he does create chances (is it his fault no one finishes them?) he does things on the ball our other players could only dream of, he scores rockets!! And he's a 21yr old blue FFS.....

The same people will moan there ass's off when he moves on...and really sets the world alight under a top class manager.
I couldn't agree with you more. I'm happy to see him trying stuff even if it doesn't come off. There's very few other players we have who try to get things going. He had an absolute horror shot in the first half but it's good that he's having a pop. Give the ball to the likes of Barry or mcarthy there and it will end up back with our centre backs. I just find this place bizarre half the time, people complain we are rubbish going forward yet say Barkley was bad yesterday. He was the only player from a central point of view who actually had a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back