Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought both lampard and Gerrard... Although successful , weren't very good all round players.... Lampard was a good goal scorer , but control , dribbling, assists etc weren't stand out... Gerrard drive and goals made him... Barkley is more like Gerrard than lampard.. But he looks like zindane when he dribbles... He glides and looks like he's jogging... But you notice that he is leaving players behind ... I love him... I can't decide who I enjoy watching more... Him or stones ... If we can add Gerry to that list we will be very strong if we can keep them together

Usually watch the England Games hoping to see our boy's competing at the top level, but not sure if I wan't to see ross play in the next internationals. Hodgson seems to find ways of shooting ross's confidence to shreds. Truth be told the way the lad is playing he should figure at some stage. Jags and stones have also been putting in some amazing performances, wouldn't mind them not playing both games.

In terms of natural talent he's better now than those two but he lacks Gerrards drive and hasn't got Lanpards in game intelligence and reading if a game yet.
His physical ability has always been clear to see, however (as you mention) it is those mental attributes that he to some extent currently lacks.

As I've mentioned previously, if he is to go on to be a 'great' player then he must develop those attributes: reading the game, tenacity and guile.

Those mental attributes are almost like the catalyst which multiplies and utilises a player's ability, so that they push onto the next level.

Sometimes those with lesser ability can actually perform better purely because of this; look at Naismith and how he performs above his level.

Fortunately, Ross is starting to show that he is developing these mental attributes, as last season I was quite genuinely worried he couldn't.

His physical ability has always been clear to see, however (as you mention) it is those mental attributes that he to some extent currently lacks.

As I've mentioned previously, if he is to go on to be a 'great' player then he must develop those attributes: reading the game, tenacity and guile.

Those mental attributes are almost like the catalyst which multiplies and utilises a player's ability, so that they push onto the next level.

Sometimes those with lesser ability can actually perform better purely because of this; look at Naismith and how he performs above his level.

Fortunately, Ross is starting to show that he is developing these mental attributes, as last season I was quite genuinely worried he couldn't.
All ties in with confidence with him. I think. He needs these attributes positively reinforced in games. He's started grabbing games by the scruff this year which is always good to see though and In hoping reading of the hand comes with game time where he's trusted in his favoured position in a team not under as much pressure as last year.

Reading the Soccer Saturday pundits' team's of the season thus far and only one has acknowledged the heights that Barkley has hit. Surprisingly, it's Phil Thompson too.

Crazy how good this guy can be. Has always took the game by the scruff of the neck but now looks like he knows what to do once he does.

At the minute he looks like Gazza did in 89/90 before Italia 90. Full of confidence, ability to beat people with ease and scoring and setting up goals. Not saying Barkley will have the same impact as Gazza did on the tournament next summer but the similarities are there and we (England) haven't had as talented a player since.

Makes me feel bloody old that I vividly remember how good a player was over 25 years ago though.

Barry Horne
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/barry-horne-ross-barkleys-still-10138090

Of course, one of them was the deployment of Ross Barkley. He is having a great season and is creating goals and scoring goals, but his ideal position is, if not a number 10 which is the position in demand these days, then certainly as one of the midfield three. In time, he might with experience be good enough to be a creative force in a midfield two, but at the moment the extra space he gets in a three suits him best.

You get the sense that in a midfield two, he is conscious that he has to be more disciplined and much more aware of his positional play and the risks if he was to lose the ball with nothing behind him but the back four. If you ask somebody to be creative and take risks and create goals, that's a big responsibility in itself. Ross has taken that on this season and looked much more like the player that people were talking about him becoming 12-15 months ago. Just because he has played 100 games for Everton, people forget he is still only 21. He was one, for me, of the slight rounds pegs at Reading, and as soon he was given the assurance of Gareth Barry, it was almost like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders and he was set free.
Spot on that from Horne.
I find it interesting the compromises we have to make to give our younger players such important roles.
Like one day maybe Barkley will have everything to play in a midfield 2 but until then he needs the solid platform of the 3 so we have to sacrifice playing a genuine number 10.
Likewise one day Rom might improve his link up and aerial play enough to give the defence a long ball option, allowing us to play 2 wingers. Until then he needs Kone, or at a push Naismith to help out with that if the opposition are going to press our defence hard.

As an aside Horne was doing the commentary when I re-watched the Swansea game and he was quietly excellent.
Seems to really know his stuff and is fairly eloquent.

Some observations from Glen Hoddle

Everton star Ross Barkley on course to become perfect 10 for England
  • Everton face West Brom in the Premier League on Monday
  • Ross Barkley has been used in the No 10 position this season
  • Toffees youngster has the ability to star in that role for England
By GLENN HODDLE FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY

PUBLISHED: 23:56, 26 September 2015 | UPDATED: 02:01, 27 September 2015

In some ways, I envy creative players these days. The rules have changed so defenders can’t kick them in the same way they could in the 1980s.

The pitches are near perfect in contrast to when I played, when the grass was so muddy teams were forced to play long ball.

And formations have changed so there is more flexibility for a No 10. Once it was 4-4-2 all the time and very often I would be stuck out on the left. That’s where creative players were often assigned in England.

2CA76F5900000578-0-image-a-208_1443307242227.jpg

+8
Everton playmaker Ross Barkley has shone after being played in the No 10 position this season

1F1696DA00000578-0-image-a-201_1443307172335.jpg

+8
The 21-year-old could develop to make the creative role his own for England in the years to come

You’ve even seen it in recent years with Paul Scholes or Steven Gerrard stuck out there for England.

But now, with many teams playing just one up front, the No 10 role — playing in the pocket — is more recognised and appreciated. In France and Spain, they have always realised that. In England, it has been more recent.

The stage is set for creative players now, which is why the next few weeks and months could be so important for Ross Barkley.

A lot has been said about the 21-year-old. Anyone can see that he might be a little special. And in many ways, this season is set up for him to show us what he can do. Everton take on West Bromwich Albion at Goodison Park on Monday and I’ll be interested to see whether Roberto Martinez will keep him in the No 10 role.

2C83C75C00000578-0-image-a-209_1443307367236.jpg

+8
Barkley (left) takes a shot during the Premier League draw against Swansea City last Saturday

2B35074800000578-0-image-a-210_1443307435770.jpg

+8
The young Liverpudlian scored against Watford (above) and Southampton in his first two games this term

He’s had a run in that position this season for Everton, either behind Romelu Lukaku and Arouna Kone or behind a lone striker in Lukaku.

BARKLEY LEAGUE STATS 2015/16
Appearances 6

Goals 2

Shooting accuracy 58%

Chances created 12

Passing accuracy 87%

Duels won 54%

Yellow/red card 1/0

And the fact that his manager has put his faith in him is probably why we’re seeing better performances and more goals. Last year was very inconsistent, with just the two goals, but he never seemed trusted in the playmaker role. Now he is and you’re seeing greater signs of maturity.

Creative players need to feel loved. They need to feel that even if they have an average game, their manager will persist with them. You have to be brave if you’re at the creative hub of your team — and it’s a different kind of bravery to that which a centre forward or defender needs.

I’m talking about the kind of bravery that plays the ambitious pass or takes on a player. And when it goes wrong, and the crowd are on your back, the bravery of this player means he doesn’t just give up and play the next ball safe and square but he keeps trying to create. That’s bravery, especially when the fans are frustrated. At times last season at Goodison Park, Ross experienced that.

And a different kind of mental strength is required to be consistent in those positions. It’s easier to be consistent as a holding midfielder. If you play the ball safely and tackle well, people will be satisfied. If it isn’t going so well, a couple of detrained tackles can get you back in the game.

Creating is a different art. You might wait 89 minutes for your moment. But you have to keep trying and stay strong, even though it doesn’t seem to be coming.

1EF179A600000578-0-image-a-211_1443307532430.jpg

+8
Creative players like Barkley, pictured playing at the 2014 World Cup, need to feel loved, says Glenn Hoddle

2C15AE3500000578-0-image-a-205_1443307217687.jpg

+8
Barkley still has to learn how to cope with the defensive responsibilities of playing in midfield

he's too good playing further back to be wasted, so to speak, being played behind the striker. he can cause more havoc running from deep and it allows an extra attacking player in your team. yes you may concede more, but football is all about scoring more than the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back