Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
He slows the game down , doesn't tackle, work hard, head the ball and is careless in possession
He's not careless in possession. That's a myth that I disproved a number of pages back.

As for the rest. That's when he's played as a 10. It's difficult defending as a 10 because you are always outnumbered and in a way Barkley always gives the impression he is going through the motions because he knows the player he's pressing has an easy pass.

It's a bit like the token efforts strikers put in to make keepers kick it long.

He was replaced by Gerry because we changed system.

Ross isn't a winger and doesn't have the pace that Del does. Deulofeu is a winger and had the pace to threaten City on the counter.

And no he wasn't a bloody striker. He played as a No.10 - off the striker - which is his position.
Thought Koeman's system on Saturday was quite bold playing a true 433. In that system I could understand Ross not starting.

However it was clear that, from an offensive point of view, the 433 wasn't working. There was nobody within the midfield 3 capable of taking advantage of the counter attack opportunities, and there was no link from midfield to the front 3. So the ball just kept on coming back at us and cities defence had a pretty easy game.

When Del came off I would have replaced him with Ross in a slightly withdrawn central role and changed to a front 2. Sort of a 4312 if you like. Wouldn't have changed our defensive set up but I reckon would have made us more effective on the break.

He's not careless in possession. That's a myth that I disproved a number of pages back.

As for the rest. That's when he's played as a 10. It's difficult defending as a 10 because you are always outnumbered and in a way Barkley always gives the impression he is going through the motions because he knows the player he's pressing has an easy pass.

It's a bit like the token efforts strikers put in to make keepers kick it long.

Not careless but he tends to keep his head down and hold on to the ball too long in an attacking position instead of looking for a pass. Very frustrating when watching on TV and you can see the pass but he can't because he hasn't looked.

As in winning it back etc? Or finding space?

Hes much more of a Siggurdson, Erriksen, Ozil type player than he is a Gerrard Lampard player.

That point wasn't made on the programme, but for me it would be about making space rather than winning the ball, this is where he goes missing I think and it may be more to do with his footballing nouse than anything else.

That point wasn't made on the programme, but for me it would be about making space rather than winning the ball, this is where he goes missing I think and it may be more to do with his footballing nouse than anything else.

I don't buy him being an unintelligent footballer, think its more down to overcoming the fact hes a marked man now (teams have to do a job to stop him) and maybe being more selfish.

End of the day, we win everyone gets praised. We don't, its Ross Barkley's fault.

In most eyes he went from awesome, to dip in form, to utter dross that should be sold since Jan this year apparently.

Not careless but he tends to keep his head down and hold on to the ball too long in an attacking position instead of looking for a pass. Very frustrating when watching on TV and you can see the pass but he can't because he hasn't looked.
In tight spaces when the game quickens up he struggles but I think in the centre he would be fine.

Thought Koeman's system on Saturday was quite bold playing a true 433. In that system I could understand Ross not starting.

However it was clear that, from an offensive point of view, the 433 wasn't working. There was nobody within the midfield 3 capable of taking advantage of the counter attack opportunities, and there was no link from midfield to the front 3. So the ball just kept on coming back at us and cities defence had a pretty easy game.

When Del came off I would have replaced him with Ross in a slightly withdrawn central role and changed to a front 2. Sort of a 4312 if you like. Wouldn't have changed our defensive set up but I reckon would have made us more effective on the break.

Then again, he's the bloke paid £6mil a year to make the calls, not us.

I too thought Ross would come on. But given the state of City's assault on our goal it's no surprise that Koeman didn't twist, IMO.

A non-issue. The only issue is that whenever Barks does get his starting place back, he performs like everybody knows he can.

Then again, he's the bloke paid £6mil a year to make the calls, not us.

I too thought Ross would come on. But given the state of City's assault on our goal it's no surprise that Koeman didn't twist, IMO.

A non-issue. The only issue is that whenever Barks does get his starting place back, he performs like everybody knows he can.
So r u saying we cant question Koemans decisions?. He"s the guy on 6m so what he says goes.
It didnt happen so that makes it a non issue. Thats being pretty dismissive in my view. I thought forums like this were to encourage POVs not dismiss them.

There is an issue here and that is Ronalds tactical judgement. When McCarthy came on we effectively went to a defensive 8. That decision led to us conceding far more chances and on another day would have lost 2 or 3. An outstanding GK display by Stek was the only thing that prevented that.

Now I dont know if Ross coming on for Del would have changed the pattern of play. But you cant argue that we didnt concede more territory and chances after Macca came on. It was clear to see and, I would imagine, backed up by stats.Ron made an error in my view. He hasnt made many so far but that doesnt mean that he cant be called into question.

So r u saying we cant question Koemans decisions?. He"s the guy on 6m so what he says goes.
It didnt happen so that makes it a non issue. Thats being pretty dismissive in my view. I thought forums like this were to encourage POVs not dismiss them.

There is an issue here and that is Ronalds tactical judgement. When McCarthy came on we effectively went to a defensive 8. That decision led to us conceding far more chances and on another day would have lost 2 or 3. An outstanding GK display by Stek was the only thing that prevented that.

Now I dont know if Ross coming on for Del would have changed the pattern of play. But you cant argue that we didnt concede more territory and chances after Macca came on. It was clear to see and, I would imagine, backed up by stats.Ron made an error in my view. He hasnt made many so far but that doesnt mean that he cant be called into question.

Not at all - we have every right to question the manager.

However, given we have lost 1 league game in 8, and are currently 6th, and have got a very respectable result against the best side in the league at their own place, I don't think it's an issue. That's not being dismissive, it's just a bit of common sense and reasoning.

I don't know what game you were watching but when we 'effectively went to a defensive eight', we didn't concede any more ground or possession than we had been doing - City hammered us all game, not just in the last 20 minutes or so.

And while I respect that Barkley coming on may have changed the game in our favour, Ron obviously deemed that he wasn't the right person to come on at that stage - and as I said, he's the one who's paid to make sure that first and foremost we didn't lose that game - and while it's not the 'negative' style that Moyes always adapted at big sides (albeit he was good vs City), it was a more pragmatic approach.

It was in no way a baffling decision either, considering Ross's recent form.

See United yesterday. Two average sides in all honesty, but they had a gameplan and stuck to it. Had we been a goal down, as opposed to a goal-up/level, I think we'd have seen Ross come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.