Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think France will get to the final from this half. I think I've reached "grumpy old man" status now, though, because no one side in this tournament has impressed me.

I don't think the standard is all that. Hence, England are well in with a chance.

When you look at the quality of the "big" international sides - there can be no question that football is witnessing a decline in players with actual ability.

I made reference to this in a previous discussion over the lack of top level strikers out there at present in Europe.

Poses the question, is it a temporary blip or has the need for footballers to now press like lunatics for 90 minutes changed how we develop players ? Seems to be ability on the ball is secondary to pace & stamina at the highest level now.

They went out in 2010 because they messed up a winnable group. They went out in 2014 because they lost a group that Costa Rica won.

I really can’t believe how many people want to fight on whether England are showing more consistency with advancing under Southgate than they did before. He’s now won more knockout ties than England did post-1966 to his taking over. This is unprecedented for England!
They went out in 2010 because Goal Line technology wasn't a thing and they ran into a Germany side that was extremely good. that 2014 group was a group of death. If Gareth Southgate got given a group that hard he would be sent home as well. We'll done to Southgate on getting easier draws I suppose?

They went out in 2010 because Goal Line technology wasn't a thing and they ran into a Germany side that was extremely good. that 2014 group was a group of death. If Gareth Southgate got given a group that hard he would be sent home as well. We'll done to Southgate on getting easier draws I suppose?
Costa Rica won the group!

They went out in 2010 because they messed up a winnable group. They went out in 2014 because they lost a group that Costa Rica won.

I really can’t believe how many people want to fight on whether England are showing more consistency with advancing under Southgate than they did before. He’s now won more knockout ties than England did post-1966 to his taking over. This is unprecedented for England!
Not sure if you are aware, but we now have better players which mean we should be doing better

Why are you talking about historical tournaments, this is unprecedented nonsense

When you look at the quality of the "big" international sides - there can be no question that football is witnessing a decline in players with actual ability.

I made reference to this in a previous discussion over the lack of top level strikers out there at present in Europe.

Poses the question, is it a temporary blip or has the need for footballers to now press like lunatics for 90 minutes changed how we develop players ? Seems to be ability on the ball is secondary to pace & stamina at the highest level now.
Yer deffo a decline

Athletes first footballers second now

Yeah, runners and pressing like maniacs changed the game.
Classic number 10s of the past are gone/going extinct, you know types of the players who were there for beautiful passes and moves while they had less talented to run for them.

We had Robert Prosinecki like that here in Croatia in the 90s, he would smoke a pack of cigarettes in half times haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back