Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Round of 8 (AKA The Quarter-Finals)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Austria/Turkey and Switzerland/Italy were good games but everything has either been tight, frustrating or a cruise for the winning team
I really enjoyed the Austria / Netherlands game . Yesterday's Spain /Germany match was decent and that's about it for me.

The two tournament favourites France and England have stunk the place out

I really enjoyed the Austria / Netherlands game . Yesterday's Spain /Germany match was decent and that's about it for me.

The two tournament favourites France and England have stunk the place out

It would be very bad for football if France and England were in the final. A victory for regressive, Stone Age, negative football and two dinosaur managers.

Spain IMO are not getting enough credit for what they did yesterday. They weathered that German battering and still found the strength to come out and get the winner at the death. Showed a lot of character although they did go a bit England in the lead up to Germany's equaliser
It depends on how you view this current German side. Historically, this was one of the greatest results in Spanish football history. Germany are the apex predator of European football, the big boss that you have to defeat to complete the game. It's no coincidence that of the four major tournaments that Germany has hosted, they won the 1974 World Cup and were eliminated only by last-minute goals in the other three - by Holland at Euro 88, Italy at the 2006 World Cup, and Spain yesterday. Basically, the only way to beat them is at the death - and up to now only the eventual champion has done that. If Spain go on to win this tournament, this result will take on historical dimensions and full credit will flow. It will be seen as the key game, in many ways.

However, if you look at this current German side as what they actually are - forgetting the shirt and the glorious, terrifying tradition - they are a sub-par group by their standards who are being rebuilt after an unprecedented era of humilation that saw World Cup defeats by Mexico, South Korea and Japan and a qualification defeat by North Macedonia. Nagelsmann has created a foundation to recuperate with this tournament. They played with distinction and went to their limits and they might even have won that game in the end, but they are not the West Germany of the 1970s or 1980s. France are.

If Spain go out to France - which I think they will - then yesterday will be seen as merely a dramatic clash of two flawed sides building towards the future, an interesting cul de sac in a tournament where the French ground down all-comers before losing to England in the final. Perhaps.

It depends on how you view this current German side. Historically, this was one of the greatest results in Spanish football history. Germany are the apex predator of European football, the big boss that you have to defeat to complete the game. It's no coincidence that of the four major tournaments that Germany has hosted, they won the 1974 World Cup and were eliminated only by last-minute goals in the other three - by Holland at Euro 88, Italy at the 2006 World Cup, and Spain yesterday. Basically, the only way to beat them is at the death - and up to now only the eventual champion has done that. If Spain go on to win this tournament, this result will take on historical dimensions and full credit will flow. It will be seen as the key game, in many ways.

However, if you look at this current German side as what they actually are - forgetting the shirt and the glorious, terrifying tradition - they are a sub-par group by their standards who are being rebuilt after an unprecedented era of humilation that saw World Cup defeats by Mexico, South Korea and Japan and a qualification defeat by North Macedonia. Nagelsmann has created a foundation to recuperate with this tournament. They played with distinction and went to their limits and they might even have won that game in the end, but they are not the West Germany of the 1970s or 1980s. France are.

If Spain go out to France - which I think they will - then yesterday will be seen as merely a dramatic clash of two flawed sides building towards the future, an interesting cul de sac in a tournament where the French ground down all-comers before losing to England in the final. Perhaps.
Yes fair point. I have a feeling Spain might knock France out though (although my predictions are usually wrong)

Yes fair point. I have a feeling Spain might knock France out though (although my predictions are usually wrong)
I think they'll do very well to do that without Morata, Carvajal (a huge loss), Pedri, and Le Normande. That's a lot of surgery for one match.

The way he goes on you would think he is best mates with all the England squad
That's always the giveaway with sports presenters. Do they think they are pals with the jocks? Think Richard Keys. Beta man trying to hang out with the alphas. It only gets more toxic over time.

Last edited:
I'm going to love watching that over-hyped obscene Bellingham exiting the field of play at about 7 tonight crying bucket loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back