Rugby World Cup 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
More good stuff here

The issue Union has, is the fans snd governing body love a good argument about the scrum when it’s a totally pointless thing. He summed it up perfectly there. A Union scrum, although contested. Slows the game down even more by them constantly collapsing or they circle, collapse and a team gets a penalty. Always been that way. Should only be allowed in a defending teams 22 so they can actually try push over the line, then, It’s exciting.

My limited knowledge lead me to believe the scrum was used to collect a number of players into a smaller area so as to free up gaps elsewhere on the pitch, thus expanding the immediate play and focusing on the speed of play and foot. Scrums have seemed punitive and usually end up so.

That’s a very good analysis. Some of the stuff in the papers today is bewildering, Stephen Jones in the Sunday Times called it “ an absolutely incredible match “ “ a magnificent England performance, probably one of the best 3 or 4 in their history” . There were all kinds of reasons why it was an absorbing match , but hardly absolutely incredible, and Englands performance against the ABs in the 2019 semi final was a standard way above yesterday , and many more better ones.

They absolutely knocked SA out of their stride , took the game to them but never looked like scoring a try. When Ford came on I thought they’d increase the lead with having two options for a drop goal. But they didn’t really get within drop goal range again. The great England forwards in the past would have broken the gain line and carried the ball into match winning positions. As a neutral I enjoyed the game, but the conditions, refereeing etc means it’s not one that will linger in the memory long.

That’s a very good analysis. Some of the stuff in the papers today is bewildering, Stephen Jones in the Sunday Times called it “ an absolutely incredible match “ “ a magnificent England performance, probably one of the best 3 or 4 in their history” . There were all kinds of reasons why it was an absorbing match , but hardly absolutely incredible, and Englands performance against the ABs in the 2019 semi final was a standard way above yesterday , and many more better ones.

They absolutely knocked SA out of their stride , took the game to them but never looked like scoring a try. When Ford came on I thought they’d increase the lead with having two options for a drop goal. But they didn’t really get within drop goal range again. The great England forwards in the past would have broken the gain line and carried the ball into match winning positions. As a neutral I enjoyed the game, but the conditions, refereeing etc means it’s not one that will linger in the memory long.
100%.. was saying even straight after the game that if it wasn’t a World Cup semi final and I wasn’t so invested it was hardly one for the ages.. and most would have turned over to watch the darts.

And you’re right… to call it one of their best performances in history is almost defeatist. Look this team did play out their socks but they were too happy to play between the 10m lines.

The issue Union has, is the fans snd governing body love a good argument about the scrum when it’s a totally pointless thing. He summed it up perfectly there. A Union scrum, although contested. Slows the game down even more by them constantly collapsing or they circle, collapse and a team gets a penalty. Always been that way. Should only be allowed in a defending teams 22 so they can actually try push over the line, then, It’s exciting.

At grass roots level, it’s also incredibly dangerous if things go badly wrong, due to poor coaching / technique and a ref who isn’t really switched on.

Let’s put it this way, I’m very glad my lad plays as a back.

Years ago it's why the Welsh were so good. Basically it defined them as a nation and their players had a lot of responsibility they took onto the pitch.
I agree. For whatever reason the worst teams the springboks and the All Blacks have had, they have still been good sides and very competitive. The Welsh have immense pride as a nation in their teams, but for long periods have had uncompetitive teams especially against the southern hemisphere teams which really have been their Achilles heel. Of course the Welsh teams, lack the resources and competition of SA and New Zealand teams, which hinders the development of their players.

I agree. For whatever reason the worst teams the springboks and the All Blacks have had, they have still been good sides and very competitive. The Welsh have immense pride as a nation in their teams, but for long periods have had uncompetitive teams especially against the southern hemisphere teams which really have been their Achilles heel. Of course the Welsh teams, lack the resources and competition of SA and New Zealand teams, which hinders the development of their players.
The world's changed. In the 70s especially when they had their great teams structural pillars of Welsh society like the mines, the steelworks, nonconformism bred a unity of outlook and purpose and rugby union represented that.

Working class there as opposed to elsewhere in the British Isles.

That environment doesn't exist anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back