Running

It's the ice that has stopped me in the past. However we've not had a serious winter for a few years by me so it's not been an issue. Wind and rain I can by and large cope with. I quite like cold weather running. But I'm purely a road runner, so ice and mounds of snow are no-nos.

7C87F039-0CCA-4225-9B03-8D08BD14A25A.jpeg B3EF7339-AC9A-4606-B8CB-CB685A9EA3C0.jpeg 2AD119E0-FDC6-4343-87BC-326666A72BF8.jpeg

A race I did a couple of years ago on the moors just outside Otley in West York’s.

The snow was knee deep in parts and although it was well below freezing, it was surprisingly very warm up on the tops - no wind and bright sunshine.

Good for you on effort and likewise to all who can endure the treadmill, but for me the best part of marathon training was being outside and feeling alive. I never felt that way on a treadmill.
Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely an outdoor runner. This was several years ago, needs must. Didn't fancy running central Berlin tbh, it was mad enough walking around. Jumped straight in the pool after! Don't believe I've been in a gym since

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely an outdoor runner. This was several years ago, needs must. Didn't fancy running central Berlin tbh, it was mad enough walking around. Jumped straight in the pool after! Don't believe I've been in a gym since

That said, the benefits of enduring through boredom (surely there's a better way to phrase this) are great. Best workout I ever did was 20 miles on a track; 4 miles warm up, 2 miles cold down, 14 miles progression. Ran the wu/cd clockwise but everything else was the standard left turns on a track for 56 laps. Ran a progression through my target marathon pace and then below it and finished feeling good; I knew I was going to run my target pace after that workout and I knew I could handle the mental side of it also. That's a workout I absolutely do/don't recommend to anyone.

That said, the benefits of enduring through boredom (surely there's a better way to phrase this) are great. Best workout I ever did was 20 miles on a track; 4 miles warm up, 2 miles cold down, 14 miles progression. Ran the wu/cd clockwise but everything else was the standard left turns on a track for 56 laps. Ran a progression through my target marathon pace and then below it and finished feeling good; I knew I was going to run my target pace after that workout and I knew I could handle the mental side of it also. That's a workout I absolutely do/don't recommend to anyone.

I salute anyone who can run any sort of distance doing laps, as they mentally crush you.

I won’t even enter races, that involve an out and back finish.

Agree! There used to be a Kent roadrunner marathon around a cyclopark. I used it to get me a good4age place in London. Systematically hitting every lap on target, actually wore a pace wrist band that day in case I bored myself into delerium! Achieved my target time with 30secs to spare.
Did London following year, smashed the previous year's time and set a pb, achieving what I had been trying to do for ten years. Then returned back to the same Kent cyclopark a month later and beat it again.
Purple patch and all that... gone are the days!

After not running to 13 months due to persistent Hamstring Tendonitis, I laced up the treads and went out and joined the local C25K group. I know I'm more than capable of doing a 5k given a few weeks of rehabilitation, but I though it would be giving something back too by supporting new runners.

Anyway, today it feels like my legs took a punishment beating. I did do a lot of stretches and movements when I finished the C25K session and maybe pushed a bit hard.

Still felt good though. Looking forward to tomorrows session now.

After not running to 13 months due to persistent Hamstring Tendonitis, I laced up the treads and went out and joined the local C25K group. I know I'm more than capable of doing a 5k given a few weeks of rehabilitation, but I though it would be giving something back too by supporting new runners.

Anyway, today it feels like my legs took a punishment beating. I did do a lot of stretches and movements when I finished the C25K session and maybe pushed a bit hard.

Still felt good though. Looking forward to tomorrows session now.
That’s great you’re back running , I’m presuming your first run was yesterday, you certainly need at least a day in between runs after so long out. Good luck with your comeback 👍

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back