Russia / Everton

Are we in trouble?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Chelsea will be fine. We, meanwhile, will become the next Derby, only worse. The bigger they are, the harder they fall - and we are as obese as Mr Usmanov.

Some very good points being made on here, and I agree with a lot of them. But for me personally it might be time to find a different hobby or a smaller club to support if we don't at the very least sever ties with Usamov, USM and MegaFon. To the point made above, though, we may find out that it's impossible for Moshiri to sever those ties due to how much of his finances are propped up by Usamov. At a time where I want nothing more than to be engrossed in football to distract from the anxiety of a world order teetering on the brink, it's impossible because it doesn't work like that.

Just because there are other, worse owners and sponsors in football does not make our associations acceptable. It never had to be this way. Not to say that another alternative would necessarily be better, but Moshiri's ownership has turned into a nightmare for this club in a lot of ways.
I'm not remotely principled enough to stop supporting Everton over this. Considering what's happening to our cost of living for the foreseeable future over this, I'm happy to keep one of the things I enjoy in my life

Matt Law also Tweeting tonight that Abramovich will be getting offers to buy Chelsea later this week.

Looks like another petro dollar country, or the Ineos owner who failed a few years ago to buy Chelsea.
Happy for the Chelsea fans if they force a sale through this week. I don't want to see a long standing football club badly affected by all this.

If Moshiri sells us it'll likely be to some businessman from Eastern Europe, Middle East or Asia and many of the mega wealthy multi billionaires from those parts of the world have made their money from less than liberal means.

Or we could be lucky and get bought out by some Yank Hedge Fund who are squeaky clean (if you dont include Tax evasion, donations to dodgy political parties and/or links to funding terrorism) and bleed us dry as an investment to make a return on.
Make as many excuses and comparisons as you like
What we are seeing at present is bordering on a disaster for all of us. And we have a man supporting us who sits alongside Putin as a friend and a sympathiser to all he does.

You can’t in anyway be comfortable with this arrangement we have with AU
I personally believe it devalues is as a club

Personally I believe we should distance ourselves from any of the sponsorship in place - at least for the interim

Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov, who has commercial ties with Everton, has seen his assets frozen by the European Union as the ramifications continue following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Proper source this.

https://www.[Publication is blacklisted]/static/uploads/6/2021/10/GettyImages-1344298936-1140x760.jpg

This is Bramley Moore Dock webcam. Check back for updates.

Unfortunately we have much bigger fish to fry right now, you haven't noticed?

Well we are making it a big fish to fry yes.

The government have decided that an independent nation attacking another independent nation becomes an issue for us.

I'm not sure why that gets more attention than other independent countries going to war with others.

Well seems to be some positive news from the BBC tonight.

China could be pulling away from Russia, seems the West uniting has spooked them, the speed at which it happened to ruin Russia economically has them fearing it could happen to them down the line.

Taiwan and the countries near the South China sea will be happy if this is the case.

I don't think anybody could justify what Putin has done. It was one thing discussing potentially moving in to provide safety to Russian speakers in Eastern Ukraine, but a whole scale invasion was completely out of line.

It's worth noting as well, the Chinese are really not massively hawkish in their approach. They could be a lot more hawkish, given their own power, but seem to be trying to avoid provocations from the US (mainly under Trump) and focus on a policy of rapid GDP and revenue growth. They seem to understand war actually greatly damages this as opposed to enhances it. I would imagine privately they don't view the enormous risk Putin has taken very favourably.

In fairness to the west too, most of the leaders have shown (in a relative sense) some sense and maturity around the question of just exploding to war. Yes there are a lot of right wing cretins kicking about (in today's right wing paper there is a piece attacking striking workers as Putin supporters) an you have the general incompetency of Truss nearly causing a nuclear war with a needless flippant remark. But on the whole, it has been reasonably measured (I obviously price in the generalised Russophobia / "send em all home" "sanction everyone" sort of nonsense we have. It's probably a comment on Britain, but it could have been worse.

The hope now, is Putin is deposed, a more open minded successor can follow which can allow sanctions to be lifted and trade to occur more freely. That should hopefully avoid a massive inflationary spike, which we need like a hole in the head currently, when children are being left without food before this little escapade.

My own stance has always been, get a peaceful solution, remove sanctions that just punish the poorest, remove Putin and the world to try and move forward in something approaching a mutually beneficial manner. I am even prepared to let the jingoist Brits try to delude them/ourselves that we are the good guys, if we can get to some sort of calm equilibrium from all of this.

Interesting point is, watch how people start to hate ALL Russians, when there’s probably millions who are like WTF Putin lad!
No Russian wants invasion. They wanted their kinsmen in Donbass from being killed by neo-nazis, but I doubt they wanted a full scale invasion.

Last edited:
Firstly Dave, it's not as if Usmanov would ever have sunk anything remotely close to £14B into Everton, so realistically the new owner won't need quite that much to complete a deal.

And secondly, as I've previously stated I remain very confident that when Moshiri decides to sell - as his links to USM and all the sanctions will, I feel sure, almost certainly force him to strongly consider and extremely seriously - a more than suitably heeled and willing purchaser will be found.

Furthermore, as it will be Moshiri selling and not the current Chairman, no new owner would be as daft as Moshiri was to do a deal that meant the current Chairman not only benefitted enormously financially from the sale of the majority of his shareholding AND remained in situ in the Chair.

I'll concede that it's not the best way it could have happened but for me, it'll be a win-win - new ownership and a completely new Board of Directors... new money, new ideas, a true new beginning.

And forgive me for saying this but, as someone who labelled Moshiri little more than a carpetbagger when he first arrived and for a long time afterwards, I would have thought that you for one would welcome his (hopefully soon) departure and arrival of new money, new BoD and new ideas ?

I cant think that anyone really believes we can attract a wealthy owner to take over from those two. What would they want with a club in debt to the tune of hundreds of millions and a team that are relegation candidates and have an archaic stadium with zero revenue potential and a beach where a new stadium is supposed to be?

It's utter bunkum to believe Usmanov leaving isn't a calamity because he can be replaced. No billionaire is coming in for this basket case of a club.

Well we are making it a big fish to fry yes.

The government have decided that an independent nation attacking another independent nation becomes an issue for us.

I'm not sure why that gets more attention than other independent countries going to war with others.
Because our lives are at immediate risk... that certainly gets my attention. So if you're saying it's all about self interests.... well yes, so what?

I cant think that anyone really believes we can attract a wealthy owner to take over from those two. What would they want with a club in debt to the tune of hundreds of millions and a team that are relegation candidates and have an archaic stadium with zero revenue potential and a beach where a new stadium is supposed to be?

It's utter bunkum to believe Usmanov leaving isn't a calamity because he can be replaced. No billionaire is coming in for this basket case of a club.
Kim's ya Man...

IMG_20220301_230056.jpg

My own stance has always been, get a peaceful solution, remove sanctions that just punish the poorest, remove Putin and the world to try and move forward in something approaching a mutually beneficial manner. I am even prepared to let the jingoist Brits try to delude them/ourselves that we are the good guys, if we can get to some sort of calm equilibrium from all of this.
There you go, problem solved, all it needs now is for someone to pop over there and implement that and we can get on with the relegation battle free from worry of total collapse. That's probably a more eloquent way of expressing the standard favourite wish for 'World Peace'.

Status
Not open for further replies.