Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

I can't stand Allardyce but we aren't a West Ham type club who demand to play a certain way, bearing in mind Moyes was here for 11 years and the tedium of the Walter years prior to that. Nearly the entire 90s we didn't play good football. It's when an Arteta or a Kanchelskis or for a while Barkley comes around that we see better football. We've usually always had a big target man up front and been a direct side throughout the Prem era and under Martinez fans would be booing at the ball not getting forward quick enough.

Under Martinez we were expansive but forgot how to defend and Silva is a Martinez mk 2 in waiting. Ideally you want an expansive manager who can organise a defence but unless you can find another Pochettino they aren't easy to find. It's a shame we couldn't get the Wolves manager.

There's a difference between playing direct and being camped in your own half AT HOME. Also we were skint then and cut our cloth accordingly, different times. Big Sam is worse than Moyes.

No manager can survive for long without the support of the fans.
No team can prosper if the fans don't believe in the style of football they play.
A good manager gives the fans belief in better times ahead which translates to support for team even in adversity.
Allardyce does none of this for me nor any other match going blue I know.
Coming back from Burnley I was struck by the fact the entire coach engaged in creating and singing anti-Allardyce songs for all of journey back ,in all my years of away games and I started in the Catterick era I have never witnessed such dislike for a manager.
He has absolutely no buffer of goodwill to carry him through any downturn. If we choose to stick with him and unless he has an damascene change of style there's more than a slight chance he will be dismissed part way through the season leaving us once again scrabbling round for a replacement whilst the season is in progress. Far from ideal.

With a limited manager at the helm there should be at least passion and controlled aggression and just a smidgen of defensive organisation out on the pitch, just didn't see that today (or any day for that matter).

He manages to start the wrong people and formations, choosing defensive teams to take on sides that on paper have less quality and then chooses to play four at the back with Rooney/Bolasie against the teams we should be more circumspect against. He doesn't know his best side. I'm lost to what Sam Allardyce is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back