Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see it mentioned in any of today's posts in this thread, so what are people's thoughts on him supposedly sitting everyone down and asking them if they want to be part of Everton's immediate future.
Guardian reckons this has happened so he knows what positions to target in January.

Is it a good thing a leader of men has to ask, or should a good manager know already?

Can't see it mentioned in any of today's posts in this thread, so what are people's thoughts on him supposedly sitting everyone down and asking them if they want to be part of Everton's immediate future.
Guardian reckons this has happened so he knows what positions to target in January.

Is it a good thing a leader of men has to ask, or should a good manager know already?

He's only done 4 so far and had no one come to him and ask to leave or whatever, says he'll get round to doing them all shortly.

Good leadership. If you give people the opportunity to discuss problems openly like an adult it often resolves things and they appreciate it. Plus if someone refuses the opportunity and still acts up you have full justification to go harder line if needed.

If Mourinho had got a point away from home against superior opposition by "parking the bus" the media would be waxing lyrical about what a tactical genius he is.

The fact that we're missing six players (including the captain of Ireland) makes Sunday's result all the more impressive.

I'm really warming to our new boss.

He did .

He played exactly the same tactics at the Pit, as we did.

He's only done 4 so far and had no one come to him and ask to leave or whatever, says he'll get round to doing them all shortly.

I think that is a good move, so he can find out where exactly the players stand. If some unhappy expect them to be listed to other clubs as available.

Mind it would not mean we get shut of some players who are "past" it.

Sounds like he also wants to stay in the job longer by making the right signings.

Why are you reading what a kopite pigeon abuser thinks of our manager in an Irish newspaper?

THIS

I have no interest what Aldridge says, i won't be reading that article.

I don't care what his opinion is.

In the grand scheme of things his opinion doesn't count.

Lets face it he was never going to come out and praise us was he?

..my concern is that we’re also not very good. I fear if we go toe to toe with any team we could be beaten. I suspect it won’t be quite the same as the weekend but I doubt he will take any chances. Personally, i’d be more than happy with a point given where we were after Southampton.

Arsed if we pass it back to Pickford to hoof to Jags playing as a forward as long as win 2-3:0 again.

They also lost a lot of those games they looked pretty in (based on memory). Keeping it simple is also good, as long as the game is won.

I too would go with pragmatism every time to get the win. Especially with the team we have at the moment. I don't have any issue with that at all.

I don't see us playing fancy stuff once we are "safe", but keeping on going in the most effective manner possible for points accumulation under BS. It's the only thing he has going for him to keep the job. It would be nice to think that somewhere over the horizon, a decent footballing side is being assembled - maybe it will, maybe it won't, I guess that'll be what keeps him on beyond his current contract if that is even a possibility.

Only 3 games in mind against 2 bad teams and a jammy draw, so I shouldn't be getting too far ahead of myself. :)

I posted this when he was appointed.

I totally get why the overwhelming majority are against this. First of all, it's the typical manager merry-go-round when there's managers abroad who are worthy of a big risk. More importantly, his corruption which ultimately lost him his England job. Then, add to the fact he's out of touch with modern football and has football philosophies which are totally out of date But, to simplify it, see below.

Will he keep you up?
- Yes.

Will you be a playing a free-flowing game, entertaining to watch and looking to penetrate teams with quick, direct passing?
- No

Is he a long-term option for Everton realistically?
- No

Will he spend countless hours in training to make you better defensively & hard to beat?
- Yes

The truth is, if you're in a spot of bother and look like you may end up fighting relegation Big Sam is the 'go to man'. He'll have you as a drilled unit, aiming to keep a clean sheet. He'll make no apology that the standard of football will not be a priority objective, even at home. But, if it means winning 1-0 due to a scruffy goal he'll say it was justified. You'll probably find yourselves rarely first on Match of the Day!

Put it this way, you're going to Anfield soon. It wouldn't surprise me if you go there and draw 0-0 and just park the bus. Sam will ensure that the likes of Salah get no time on the ball at all and is doubled up. You'll ensure they get no time on the ball and will frustrate them.

I know he's got a lot of flaws as a manager and as a human. That tax 'thing' was just shameful. But, let's not kid ourselves. This sort of thing is rife now. Big Sam was caught out, how many haven't been caught? Corruption and greed is everywhere. Even multi-millionaires will still get and earn a few quid by cutting corners. Not that I'm excusing him, I still have deep hatred for him, considering he left Sundeand for England, only to end up lasting a few days.

But, when you get over the fact he's a defensive minded coach (He'll never change now) who doesn't mind playing a dull style of football - long as he gets results, he does have a proven pedigree of keeping teams up, instantly makes them concede less and generally, makes them harder to break down.

I know why some wouldn't touch him with a barge pole, but, considering your current position, is it such a poor choice? Or, is it a safe choice.

If you're in charge of appointing the Everton manager, would you go for an unproven foreign/lower league record in the hope the gamble pays off. Or, would you appoint someone who has kept every team he took over up, improving their results consistently over a short-period in every job?

Hope it works out for you. But, if Big Sam is appointed, I'd say lower your expectations and give him a chance.

Sorry to speak out of turn. Just tossing my view in the ring.

So far, he's done exactly what I said. You've had some great results (like midweek when Rooney got a hatrick), you're not leaking 2/3 goals per match anymore. Your tactics on Sunday have been described by some as "dull" "boring", Liverpool fans say "disgraceful" but ultimately - it worked. (Also winds them up which is always a bonus).
Neutrals and the media would have loved nothing more than for you to go toe-to-toe with Liverpool and lose 4-1 - Just so they can cream themselves over Liverpool's Salah/Mane/Countinho attacking trio.

Big Sam basically said "Not on my watch". Yes, if Mane had squared that ball at 2-0 it would have been game over, and Sam would have rightly took critism from your fans for your lack of attacking philosophies. But, it worked! You hung in there, and after you scored, Liverpool had a 5 minute spell where they were a bit rattled before they rallied in injury time.

I can't believe that some Liverpool fans are saying it wasn't a penatly! Lovren pushed him over, (not even subtle). Blatant penalty and Rooney never looked like missing.

I know it's still early days but considering 3 weeks ago relegation was being whispered, you've really kicked on. You've got Barkley, Bolasie and Coleman to come back too!

Looking good and I'm pleased you're back on track. Now, can you send us some more of your fringe players to help us out? Because, we're skint and in desperate need of midfielders and defenders.

;)

Last edited:
I too would go with pragmatism every time to get the win. Especially with the team we have at the moment. I don't have any issue with that at all.

I don't see us playing fancy stuff once we are "safe", but keeping on going in the most effective manner possible for points accumulation under BS. It's the only thing he has going for him to keep the job. It would be nice to think that somewhere over the horizon, a decent footballing side is being assembled - maybe it will, maybe it won't, I guess that'll be what keeps him on beyond his current contract if that is even a possibility.

Only 3 games in mind against 2 bad teams and a jammy draw, so I shouldn't be getting too far ahead of myself. :)

To be honest this was pretty much the RK approach too.

A great manager would already know, and still ask.

..as @Nymzee says, Allardyce was asked about this in his presser and said he’d already spoken with 4 players. He said no player had knocked on his door asking for a chat.

I was amazed nobody followed that question up with ‘is Barkley one of the 4 you’ve spoken with?”

Status
Not open for further replies.