• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Saudi Arabia Premier league

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon St Jord has sommet north of £40m in the bank mate. Unless he has been an idiot with his cash. (Wouldnt be the first). I said a while ago, its the Man in the Mirror stuff. That is down to him, not me.

And maybe I am odd, but no one can buy me. Or my values. So if Everton offered me £700k a week to put the cones out, sound. Liverpool? No chance.
700k for putting cones out?!? No wonder we couldn't get shut of big Dunc.

Yes it does, if you value anything other than money at all. Its a personal choice but it is still a choice.
Of course it's a choice but it's not like these players are being asked to do anything illegal. They're just doing their job in another country. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take the money.

Fair comment, but I don’t think that the premier league, or what is left of it gets anywhere near the same tv revenue or sponsorship levels once the Saudi super league takes the ‘Elite’ clubs away, and I’m sure there will be a drop off in attendance too without Merseyside derbies and games against city etc. It could have enormous consequences for the game in England
Speaking as a fan I'm completely confident that a league that does not yet exist won't affect my enjoyment of football as a sport to watch.

If it affects attendances to such a degree then maybe the game would be forced into a wild course of action such as lowering admission prices in response to market forces. Such a loss of revenue may affect the ability of clubs to pay £300,000 per week to individual players. So be it.

I really can't see how any of that affects my enjoyment of things. It certainly didn't in the 80s and early/mid 90s when the best players in the world were generally playing in Italy and Spain.

It does leave a potential gaping hole in finances and the ability to fulfill obligations and contracts.
A Saudi led Super League isn't happening tomorrow or suddenly and without warning. If the financial environment in English football means the best players in the world want to go and play elsewhere I'm not remotely arsed.

If I was arsed about supporting the best players in the world I'd have given up on this Everton thing a long time ago.

Speaking as a fan I'm completely confident that a league that does not yet exist won't affect my enjoyment of football as a sport to watch.

If it affects attendances to such a degree then maybe the game would be forced into a wild course of action such as lowering admission prices in response to market forces. Such a loss of revenue may affect the ability of clubs to pay £300,000 per week to individual players. So be it.

I really can't see how any of that affects my enjoyment of things. It certainly didn't in the 80s and early/mid 90s when the best players in the world were generally playing in Italy and Spain.

A Saudi led Super League isn't happening tomorrow or suddenly and without warning. If the financial environment in English football means the best players in the world want to go and play elsewhere I'm not remotely arsed.

If I was arsed about supporting the best players in the world I'd have given up on this Everton thing a long time ago.
That doesn't prevent a huge financial drop off for the clubs left behind. Football is unfortunately littered with such stories were the ladder was pulled from under clubs or even leagues and it having a serious impact. Regardless of that, those cheerleading the SA league (not including yourself in that) from some sort of 'ahh yer heads fell off' banter seem to be ignoring the moral aspect of welcoming this new wave of sportswashing, which is my own objection to this league and other involvements in sports rather than the self preservation of the prem or Everton.

Did I hear correctly from Talksport about an hour ago. No Salad deal being put to the RS £1.5m per week.
Surely not.

Of course it's a choice but it's not like these players are being asked to do anything illegal. They're just doing their job in another country. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take the money.
If you're a multi millionaire and someone offers you a job to become a multi multi millionaire in Saudi i wouldn't take it.

Your lifestyle wont change one bit you will just accumulate more money than you can actually spend, for what?
Its not life changing for these footballers.

For the likes of me and you yes but for them no, its greed, dress it up how you want its greed.

If you're a multi millionaire and someone offers you a job to become a multi multi millionaire in Saudi i wouldn't take it.

Your lifestyle wont change one bit you will just accumulate more money than you can actually spend, for what?
Its not life changing for these footballers.

For the likes of me and you yes but for them no, its greed, dress it up how you want its greed.
Someone in a previous post estimated Jordan Henderson might have £40m in the dank from his 15 year playing career in England. No one can argue that's not extremely good earnings.
But while you're still young enough to realistically keep playing at a good enough level to keep earning a good salary why would you not take the money?
It's not like he's taking the money from starving children, he's talking it from an oil rich Saudi prince. I've heard Henderson will be giving a lot of his money to charities. He'd be giving a lot less money to good causes if he stayed at Liverpool. Is it still greedy if he gives a lot of it away to good causes and sets his family up for generations to come?

Someone in a previous post estimated Jordan Henderson might have £40m in the dank from his 15 year playing career in England. No one can argue that's not extremely good earnings.
But while you're still young enough to realistically keep playing at a good enough level to keep earning a good salary why would you not take the money?
It's not like he's taking the money from starving children, he's talking it from an oil rich Saudi prince. I've heard Henderson will be giving a lot of his money to charities. He'd be giving a lot less money to good causes if he stayed at Liverpool. Is it still greedy if he gives a lot of it away to good causes and sets his family up for generations to come?
Come on!! He hasn't gone to Saudi so he can donate more to charities or he is thinking about his great great grandsons being financially secure.
Utter bollox mate. He has followed the money and to hell with his morals and beliefs for some more cash.

BTW this isn't just a pop at Henderson this is everyone of them who have gone over there.

Yes it does, if you value anything other than money at all. Its a personal choice but it is still a choice.
I think that’s the real crux of it. If someone earning 20-25k a year here went out there to earn mega money for a few years to make their families lives better I’d find it difficult to judge them too harshly. When it’s footballers who are already disgustingly rich doing it, it’s a different matter imo

Come on!! He hasn't gone to Saudi so he can donate more to charities or he is thinking about his great great grandsons being financially secure.
Utter bollox mate. He has followed the money and to hell with his morals and beliefs for some more cash.

BTW this isn't just a pop at Henderson this is everyone of them who have gone over there.
Really?? To hell with his morals??

He's moved abroad to play football. Put it in perspective. He's doing his job in another country and getting very well paid for it.

The politics, culture and beliefs of the country have nothing to do with football, the footballers or the amounts of money involved.

........ but I've worked for a military contractor selling arms to Saudi for the last 25 years so what would I know about morals?

He's moved abroad to play football. Put it in perspective. He's doing his job in another country and getting very well paid for it.

The politics, culture and beliefs of the country have nothing to do with football, the footballers or the amounts of money involved.

........ but I've worked for a military contractor selling arms to Saudi for the last 25 years so what would I know about morals?

There's always a choice.

A rich man who based his public image on supporting people's rights to be accepted then shilling that for his 30 pieces of silver to an oppressive regime getting accused of hypocrisy and greed? Hope he enjoys his wealth and accompanying loss of respect from anyone with a shred of decency.

For 700k a week I can understand moving over there on a short term basis. I would happily sleep with men for that kind of money never mind kick a ball around against plumbers whilst being treated like royalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back