• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Saudi Arabia Premier league

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difference is the Chinese government taxed the foreigners out of their league in favour of homegrown players.
This Saudi thing is the actual government trying to buy their way in.
FIFA will strike a deal with the Saudis just like golf has. They've wanted to rival UEFA and the CL for a while now and this could be there only chance.

This could be the end of the dominance of the premier league and I'm all for it
I agree that that would be a good thing, but to see the amounts of money being paid and previously good character players such as Kante, already millionaires ten times over, happy to sell themselves to the Saudis' sportswashing is galling.

I could accept somebody on the breadline agreeing to take a job in Saudi knowing that it could secure their family's future. But for these players who already have enough money for several generations of their families, it's sickening.

PL clubs price everyone else out of buying the best players for 30+ years: best league in the world

Saudis do it: GAmEs gOnE, LAd

Game went decades ago, cryarses.

Gonna be great watching all the Brexit gammons pretend they care about human rights violations now, though.
It's a bit different though isn't it? I don't recall a time when Premier League clubs went in and started offering players 20/50 times their current salaries. It's like taking a player from the Bundesliga, already on the equivalent £40k a week, and flying in with an offer of £1m a week despite there being no competition for his signature.

The game went decades ago, fully agree. It's been obscene for almost all of my life (born in the late 80s), and it's becoming increasingly difficult to continue following teams/players when there's literally nothing any of us have in common with any of 'em.

We see the sabotage of Everton by its own board, Everton paying players none of the fans wanted and whom the fans knew would be disastrous signings (Alli) £100k a week, clubs in the Championship just a few years ago lashing £70m on players and now owned by oil states (Newcastle), and now even players deemed untouchable (Ronaldo) and with probably half a billion already in the bank, happy to sell themselves for another quick half a billion. I think he even did a Demba Ba (praying to Allah on his knees) celebration recently, it was pathetic. Funny how money can change your religion in a few weeks.

It's a bit different though isn't it? I don't recall a time when Premier League clubs went in and started offering players 20/50 times their current salaries. It's like taking a player from the Bundesliga, already on the equivalent £40k a week, and flying in with an offer of £1m a week despite there being no competition for his signature.

The game went decades ago, fully agree. It's been obscene for almost all of my life (born in the late 80s), and it's becoming increasingly difficult to continue following teams/players when there's literally nothing any of us have in common with any of 'em.

We see the sabotage of Everton by its own board, Everton paying players none of the fans wanted and whom the fans knew would be disastrous signings (Alli) £100k a week, clubs in the Championship just a few years ago lashing £70m on players and now owned by oil states (Newcastle), and now even players deemed untouchable (Ronaldo) and with probably half a billion already in the bank, happy to sell themselves for another quick half a billion. I think he even did a Demba Ba (praying to Allah on his knees) celebration recently, it was pathetic. Funny how money can change your religion in a few weeks.
I honestly don’t think it is all that different.

I get your point about the multipliers involved but that’s just the Saudis flexing straight out of the gate. The PL is a long established product that players will take some tempting to ignore/give up; those seeking an almighty wedge have already been burned by failed attempts from Russia and China to lure talent away, so Saudis obviously feel like they have to show they mean business.

I honestly don’t think it is all that different.

I get your point about the multipliers involved but that’s just the Saudis flexing straight out of the gate. The PL is a long established product that players will take some tempting to ignore/give up; those seeking an almighty wedge have already been burned by failed attempts from Russia and China to lure talent away, so Saudis obviously feel like they have to show they mean business.

This lot will be a lot more serious than China and will keep pumping money into this project.

Consider the fact that a big reason we're in a financial mess is because we couldn't get high earners off the books...and still have £100k a week Gomes here.

But Chelsea can just turf them out. I bet they didn't even ask the players if they want to go there.
I imagine it would be a case of telling them to go there for a year on huge money and then go wherever they want to go to. Chelsea don't lose anything from this as they get their money back and the player has to endure one year in a tin pot league on ridiculous money before moving on.

I imagine it would be a case of telling them to go there for a year on huge money and then go wherever they want to go to. Chelsea don't lose anything from this as they get their money back and the player has to endure one year in a tin pot league on ridiculous money before moving on.

Absolutely. Cos it's an infinite money pit there.

Alright Mendy lad. Go to Saudi for a year, maybe 6 months. Double your wages. Then they can cancel you contract and you can go somewhere else. PIF have done us, them, and you a favour.

Happened in China and Russia until the pin got put back.

Was listening to a podcast that made a point that teams now like Chelsea, Newcastle, City won't get punished for gross mismanagement as they'll find a monetary way around it. Everyone else...nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back