• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Scottish football

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 28206
  • Start date Start date
No they wouldn't.
They'd be behind Swansea and Cardiff....
Not really, as they both play in the English pyramid system. If Celtic and rangers want to be considered as big teams (which they undoubtedly are in Scotland) they need to play in the English system and test themselves against decent opposition every week. If Everton played Celtic next week I’d be confident we could get a draw even with our poor squad

Not really, as they both play in the English pyramid system. If Celtic and rangers want to be considered as big teams (which they undoubtedly are in Scotland) they need to play in the English system and test themselves against decent opposition every week. If Everton played Celtic next week I’d be confident we could get a draw even with our poor squad
So what you're saying is that Welsh teams are pining to be English and are no good as they have no success anywhere? Cool.

Really makes you wonder why the rest haven't reached the heights of PL relegation.
Point being they play in the English system as they are clubs who wanted to challenge themselves, 2 of them have played in the top flight albeit on and off over the years. Maybe Celtic and rangers should try and emulate that achievement out of their comfort zone , they have the fan base, stadium and money … they could in time establish themselves as serious contenders on a European stage.

And yes I do realise Celtic were the first British club to win the European cup but that was many years ago and football has changed in so many ways since them days

Point being they play in the English system as they are clubs who wanted to challenge themselves, 2 of them have played in the top flight albeit on and off over the years. Maybe Celtic and rangers should try and emulate that achievement out of their comfort zone , they have the fan base, stadium and money … they could in time establish themselves as serious contenders on a European stage.

And yes I do realise Celtic were the first British club to win the European cup but that was many years ago and football has changed in so many ways since them days
Yeah it's been ages since a Scottish team was in any European cup final.

Scottish football though …. What’s the point ?

Nation of only 5 million people has produced a league that is

*9th in the UEFA Co-efficient rankings.

*A national team that plays in a higher ranked league than England in the UEFA Nations League.

*One of the best derbies in the world in Celtic v Rangers.

*A UEFA Europa League Finalist last season.

*Has 3 of the best stadiums for atmosphere in Britain in Celtic Park, Ibrox, Tynecastle

*Some of the best managers and players that have ever played in England. And still the most successful manager in Alex Ferguson.

*The highest attended football league per capita in Europe.

A league that massively punches above its weight.

I don’t think Aberdeen ever agreed to join the proposed Conference League, it was just assumed by the Press that they’d be the fourth SPL club to field a Colts team. One reason they opted out was the potential damage to the Highland League, so far every Highland League club has come out against it. Hopefully the concept withers and dies.
Didnt they, didnt know that. Im just going by what read on a QP forum re them joining it then somebody saying QP were interested in place of Aberdeen when they withdrew, so presumed they joined.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back