• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Scottish football

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 28206
  • Start date Start date
In fairness to John Beaton, he wasn't caught singing Rangers songs. He just went to a Rangers supporters bar for a drink...

I can only imagine the meltdown from TRFC fans if Willie Colum had gone to The Brazen Head, or any other Celtic fans pub, after Saturdays game.
With his eyesight...he couldn't find it

He's an absolutel;y abysmal ref, but early in his career the papers up here focussed on how he was the most high profile Catholic referee. This must have put pressure on him.

I hate it when he's in charge of a Celtic game. He awarded Rangers a penalty against Celtic and replays showed he couldn't have seen the incident, so he just totally sh@t it and gave Rangers a penalty for a dive by Kirk Broadfoot.

I always feel he gives Celtic nothing as he's petrified of being labelled a Celtic fan with a whistle.

In my opinion, Rangers know exactly what they're doing here. They don't have to worry about Rangers supporting refs, so they put pressure on referees who are, or who they deem to be, Celtic supporters.
He's awarded quite a few of those for Rangers, defo playing with his mind a bit the catholic/Celtic thing from early on and probably trying to "show them" he's not a Celtic fan or something daft. That said he's just a crap ref mate.

What's your opinion on both teams having the same amount of penalties given for them and Celtic not having any given against them in the league (IIRC)? That's another daft angle of the whole penalty incident and both sets of fans shouting at each other about penalties lol

Love the drama at least, feels a bit more of a banter season this one. Still think Celtic are just better than Rangers, but at least the fume/memes/statements/concomitants are gonna be on point

He's awarded quite a few of those for Rangers, defo playing with his mind a bit the catholic/Celtic thing from early on and probably trying to "show them" he's not a Celtic fan or something daft. That said he's just a crap ref mate.

What's your opinion on both teams having the same amount of penalties given for them and Celtic not having any given against them in the league (IIRC)? That's another daft angle of the whole penalty incident and both sets of fans shouting at each other about penalties lol

Love the drama at least, feels a bit more of a banter season this one. Still think Celtic are just better than Rangers, but at least the fume/memes/statements/concomitants are gonna be on point
With the money both teams have they can afford to sign better players, and will tend to have the best teams in the league. There is obviously going to be less penalty opportunities in either teams box, than in the oppositions.

Having said that, other teams will still mount attacks from time to time and will get into the oppositions penalty area. I would need to see any incidents that should have been penalties against Celtic.

I try to be honest, and if I genuinely feel Celtic should have conceded a penalty I will admit it. Off the top of my head, I can't remember any controversial calls that have gone in Celtic's favour this season.

I do remember a game at Hampden against Kilmarnock in which I felt Killie should probably have had a penalty. I'm a bit old school, and I felt the Killie player went down looking for a penalty after he was held but, as we have seen in Rangers games, these days a slight tug on a jersey is considered a penalty, so we definitely got off with one there.

With the money both teams have they can afford to sign better players, and will tend to have the best teams in the league. There is obviously going to be less penalty opportunities in either teams box, than in the oppositions.

Having said that, other teams will still mount attacks from time to time and will get into the oppositions penalty area. I would need to see any incidents that should have been penalties against Celtic.

I try to be honest, and if I genuinely feel Celtic should have conceded a penalty I will admit it. Off the top of my head, I can't remember any controversial calls that have gone in Celtic's favour this season.

I do remember a game at Hampden against Kilmarnock in which I felt Killie should probably have had a penalty. I'm a bit old school, and I felt the Killie player went down looking for a penalty after he was held but, as we have seen in Rangers games, these days a slight tug on a jersey is considered a penalty, so we definitely got off with one there.
I mean as volume/number of pens given - it's the same for both teams, but apparently Rangers have it easier or something. Vaguely remember one from earlier in the season that was also a bit piss given for you guys, but I obviously don't watch every single game I can.

I like it when teams are a bit more brave against the Old Firm personally, good to see and I prefer entertaining football than either team winning 3-4:0 every match and waiting for the all-important derbies really. It adds more to the above-mentione drama/memes/banter lol especially now that both teams lose a few every other day.

As a side story - my first, uh, meeting with football fans in Glasgow was when I moved in ~September 2012 - you'd just smashed someone in a cup game and I saw several very drunk Celtic fans try and understand what a traffic light is, then they just stopped traffic altogether to cross the junction diagonally, stopped pretty much midway, pointed at each other saying "You... you tw@" to each other and had a small brawl for 20 sec, then just got up, laughed it off and went on their way singing. Don't know what happened there but I was in absolute awe.

Also at the fact no cars started blaring their horns or anything, everyone just waiting, watching.

I
As a side story - my first, uh, meeting with football fans in Glasgow was when I moved in ~September 2012 - you'd just smashed someone in a cup game and I saw several very drunk Celtic fans try and understand what a traffic light is, then they just stopped traffic altogether to cross the junction diagonally, stopped pretty much midway, pointed at each other saying "You... you tw@" to each other and had a small brawl for 20 sec, then just got up, laughed it off and went on their way singing. Don't know what happened there but I was in absolute awe.

Also at the fact no cars started blaring their horns or anything, everyone just waiting, watching.

I'm filling up here. I'm just so damn proud. 🙂

I'd imagine Celtic don't concede many penalties because the ball often isn't in their box?

With both sides being the best teams in the country you'd expect them to get more penalties, and concede less, than most other teams.

The penalty awarded to Kilmarnock the other day was the first time rangers have concede a penalty in two years. That's TWO YEARS! Strangely enough Rangers also wrote a letter of complaint about that game as well.

The Kilmarnock penalty stopped rangers creating a new world record for go]the longest time without conceding a penalty in a league game. I'm sure that was just a coincidence, and the award had nothing whatsoever to do with our officials being shown to beat the record of a team, Barcelona, who have been accused bribing referees.

One thing about being a Rangers director, you're hardly likely to suffer from writers cramp penning letters to complain abut penalties that have been given against your team. You get the impression Conor Goldson could pick the ball up and run around the penalty box bouncing the ball like a goalkeeper from the 70's and our officials still wouldn't award a penalty.

Now that Rangers have set the ball rolling, perhaps other teams will ask to hear the audio from officials at controversial incidents? I wonder if Aberdeen have considered asking to hear the conversation between the officials when they were denied two penalties in the recent League Cup final, the second one in particular looked a clear penalty?

With both sides being the best teams in the country you'd expect them to get more penalties, and concede less, than most other teams.

The penalty awarded to Kilmarnock the other day was the first time rangers have concede a penalty in two years. That's TWO YEARS! Strangely enough Rangers also wrote a letter of complaint about that game as well.

The Kilmarnock penalty stopped rangers creating a new world record for go]the longest time without conceding a penalty in a league game. I'm sure that was just a coincidence, and the award had nothing whatsoever to do with our officials being shown to beat the record of a team, Barcelona, who have been accused bribing referees.

One thing about being a Rangers director, you're hardly likely to suffer from writers cramp penning letters to complain abut penalties that have been given against your team. You get the impression Conor Goldson could pick the ball up and run around the penalty box bouncing the ball like a goalkeeper from the 70's and our officials still wouldn't award a penalty.

Now that Rangers have set the ball rolling, perhaps other teams will ask to hear the audio from officials at controversial incidents? I wonder if Aberdeen have considered asking to hear the conversation between the officials when they were denied two penalties in the recent League Cup final, the second one in particular looked a clear penalty?
What's a win if you don't complain in an official statement and letter to the FA? You just don't know how to party mate.

As I said above - maybe the initial moaning will be good for the league(s). The decisions being broadcasted isn't an unheard of thing in other sports, so why is it so hush-hush for footy? NBA refs have to give an explanation in front of the cameras for everyone to see about decisions that are challenged, fairly sure it's similar in rugby/american football, but not here for some reason lol

How long is it going to take to finish the work at Lesser Hampden? You could have built the Spurs stadium quicker.
Its a complete joke Lesser Hampden and embarrassing, so it is. Apparently they moved into Big Hampden for this season to get the work done and completed and so have a ground ready for next season but now, apparently theyre not finishing it. The money theyve spent and the time its taken on a glorified bus stop is unbelievable. The stand opposite the hampden side stand was to be a stand taking up the rest of the half until Willie Haughey and the club committee decided it would be better just to have a small stand for themselves and guests so that how its small with about 40 seats and heard they were going to build a hotel at the Somerville Road end of the ground but dont know whats happening with that. QP arent even allowed to play or train on it on it but the Celtic youth team play their european games on it and Scotland do their training on it, you couldnt make it up!!!!! Leeann Dempster the CEO has a lot to answer for and quite glad shes now away or going soon as apparently she had a lot to do with it and the mess. The whole club is a mess and like said pleased Dempster the CEO, Marijn Beuker the DoF and Robin Veldman the manager are all now away as they didnt have a clue. Dempster you never heard from her, no communications from the club with whats happening anywhere, Beuker is away to Ajax as DoF and his plan/project was a complete shambles with it all being done by data and not signing players over 22 so no experience in the squad apart from 3/4 players and Robin Veldman just didnt have a clue what he was doing and had to go by what Beuker was telling him and not do things his way. The word is that they are getting Calum Davidson in as manager, which i hope is not not true as think thats going backwards even more. If it was me i'd be going for somebody like Tam Courts ex-Dundee Utd with somebody like Gary Bowyer as DoF.

And excitement continues to mount in Buckie , 10 days now to the big Scottish Cup 4th round match v Celtic at Parkhead. All the local businesses are putting on green and white displays in their windows , and there’s a bit of a buzz about.

Celtic , not surprisingly, turned down Buckie’s cheeky request to allow them to play in their traditional home strip of Green and white hoops , booo! But they did allow the request for 5,000 tickets , not bad considering the town’s population is about 10,000. The last I heard over 2,000 tickets had been sold .

Playing wise, postponement of the last three home games has meant the Jags have only played twice in the past month , not ideal but hopefully Saturdays‘s away game at Huntly will go ahead. Buckie Thistle are one of the best teams in the Highland League, have some decent players , but … they are all part time. A home tie against a lower level Scottish Championship team on a wet and windy January afternoon would have been interesting, but the gap to Celtic is too huge . Three or four Buckie players are Celtic fans , so it’s a dream tie for them and the hope is that Celtic put out a strong team. It’ll be a grand day out , with no real expectations other than to enjoy the day.
‘Mon ‘I Jags 🙂

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back