Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2024/25 Seamus Coleman

It’s even more crazy when people then turn around and go on about how much he would be willing to sacrifice for our club. Clearly some dead rubber internationals is too much to ask him to give up at his massive age. I could understand somewhat if he had a potential tournament to look forward to like.
I think this is my take on it too. I think it's admirable that he wants to represent his country but there are mitigating circumstances here. He is 35 and has had his fair share of injury issues of late. The nations league is effectively a friendly competition and the next actual proper competition that Ireland may or may not qualify for and odds suggest they won't is the world cup in 2 years.

So is it really worth him playing these games if he knows it could jeopardise his Everton career. Really only he knows but obviously his love for country is great and he is very loyal to them.

He was definitely good, but in all honestly if he was that good there would have been offers for him. As far as I'm aware there has never been an offer made for him in his entire time at Everton. Baines, obviously yes as he was arguably world class, but nothing ever came in for Seamus.

Nothing was ever reported. Has never been able to cross or reliably stop a cross.

But for 2 seasons was exceptional.

Could almost say he extended his contract with us so he could still be picked for Ireland.

Retired from us, then Ireland aren't gonna be picking a retired player are they.

This is a top shout and something id never thought of.

Surely he could have popped back to Ireland and played a season in that league while being the best player and picking up caps that way?

Seamus though hes living in the UK is still very imbedded in the local community both in Donegal and Ireland in general. He was front and center this week doing all the media and grassroots bits.

In the summer you see him up at Croker at the GAA, hes actually Dessie Farrells cousin as well.

Was handy himself he would have played underage for Donegal with a lot of the great Donegal team who won the All Ireland in 2012. Its a whole scape people in the UK dont really understand. Its all part of what makes him who he is.

View attachment 272413

He pops over to ireland and is polite to people? Could have played for Donegal at something or other 12 years ago?

That makes him who he is?

Bit lost there...

Nothing was ever reported. Has never been able to cross or reliably stop a cross.

But for 2 seasons was exceptional.

This is a top shout and something id never thought of.

Surely he could have popped back to Ireland and played a season in that league while being the best player and picking up caps that way?

He pops over to ireland and is polite to people? Could have played for Donegal at something or other 12 years ago?

That makes him who he is?

Bit lost there...

That's why i said its a whole scape people in the UK dont understand. ;)

I think this is my take on it too. I think it's admirable that he wants to represent his country but there are mitigating circumstances here. He is 35 and has had his fair share of injury issues of late. The nations league is effectively a friendly competition and the next actual proper competition that Ireland may or may not qualify for and odds suggest they won't is the world cup in 2 years.

So is it really worth him playing these games if he knows it could jeopardise his Everton career. Really only he knows but obviously his love for country is great and he is very loyal to them.

If his priority is his country over his club then that’s fine, but I’d rather him just come out and say it rather than continue to play this character of super top greatest Evertonian the world has ever seen. I suppose he’ll hobble on to fist pump and scowl at the Gwladys when we next win a game though so it’ll all be sound.

The shouts of Club versus Country are tedious IMHO. Putting Coleman to one side, any player, whatever his nationality, agrees his future plan with his Club and respective Country and they go with it. Injuries can happen playing for Club or Country, but being involved with both can be beneficial too (PR, marketing, fitness, training, techniques and camaraderie in another setting).

Plus, contact to attract other players (e.g. Coleman’s role in attracting players such as O’Brien). Personally, I’d love him to tap-up Evan Ferguson and some of the younger generation too.

Overall, given his service and original £60k outlay etc, in the case of Séamus, talk of wasting money on him is the least of our worries. Every manager and player he has worked with, and for, extols his virtues yet some haters on here are just looking for another excuse to moan or try and turn fans against him. There’s enough negative rubbish around our Club. Fire burns in Séamus for Everton and Ireland. Here’s hoping he’s back playing for both soon.

That's why i said its a whole scape people in the UK dont understand. ;)

I'd say "outside of Ireland" cos im not in the UK but it just sounds like a famous bloke from a small place to me & going back from time to time?

If his priority is his country over his club then that’s fine, but I’d rather him just come out and say it rather than continue to play this character of super top greatest Evertonian the world has ever seen. I suppose he’ll hobble on to fist pump and scowl at the Gwladys when we next win a game though so it’ll all be sound.

Hes got 73 caps. He would need another 30 to be in the top 6 for ireland.

I suspect we can see when he retires how many caps he has.

The shouts of Club versus Country are tedious IMHO. Putting Coleman to one side, any player, whatever his nationality, agrees his future plan with his Club and respective Country and they go with it. Injuries can happen playing for Club or Country, but being involved with both can be beneficial too (PR, marketing, fitness, training, techniques and camaraderie in another setting).

Plus, contact to attract other players (e.g. Coleman’s role in attracting players such as O’Brien). Personally, I’d love him to tap-up Evan Ferguson and some of the younger generation too.

Overall, given his service and original £60k outlay etc, in the case of Séamus, talk of wasting money on him is the least of our worries. Every manager and player he has worked with, and for, extols his virtues yet some haters on here are just looking for another excuse to moan or try and turn fans against him. There’s enough negative rubbish around our Club. Fire burns in Séamus for Everton and Ireland. Here’s hoping he’s back playing for both soon.

How many Irish players have joined the club since Coleman was signed?

How many of them have gone onto become top players? Was O'Brien a massive coup?

If "Fire burns in Séamus for Everton and Ireland" then you would step back from one or both when you see it affecting the other.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back