2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think he could have improved on that though by making changes in the second half? Iwobi, Dacoure even McNeil and DCL all looked goosed towards the end and because we didn't really retain possession well, it was a very open game. I personally felt that if he had introduced Gray and Onana for Iwobi and Dacoure at the very least, then we would have had two players capable of driving with the ball at pace, rather than two whose influence on the game had waned.
I'd also like to have seen Keane hooked, as he looked a liability all game (well every game, he should be nowhere near the side). He mentions in his interviews about transition and Everton have always been a team that gets caught out by it, because we have very little pace about us, but I think they could sort this out better by having the holding midfielder actually sit in the holding role. Gueye constantly moves away from this area, and Maddison kept dropping in to it to pick up the ball last night. Each game, most of the break aways could be solved by having the holder behind the play, rather than constantly in front of it. It puts a lot of pressure on two centre backs who have no pace themselves.

…as I’ve already said this morning, I wasn’t thinking about substitutions those last 20mins. It might have made a difference from an attacking perspective but it carries risk defensively in a game we couldn’t lose.

Taking Iwobi off, for example, would leave a totally new right side. He was up to speed in the game and at least he looks to link with his full back. For me, Gray is a maverick substitute, one you use when chasing a game. DCL could’ve been taken off but more because of injury fear with muscle fatigue.

I can understand why Dyche decided to stick rather than twist.

Should've gone for the jugular last night, and instead ran the starting eleven (okay, ten - but without Coleman's injury, there would've been no subs) into the ground.

The fresh legs of Gray or Simms could've made a massive difference.
Or... They could have unsettled the team who were playing well in a very finely balanced and high pressure game...

…as I’ve already said this morning, I wasn’t thinking about substitutions those last 20mins. It might have made a difference from an attacking perspective but it carries risk defensively in a game we couldn’t lose.

Taking Iwobi off, for example, would leave a totally new right side. He was up to speed in the game and at least he looks to link with his full back. For me, Gray is a maverick substitute, one you use when chasing a game. DCL could’ve been taken off but more because of injury fear with muscle fatigue.

There is no guarantee it'll pay off granted, but the reward is an extra 2 points and going above 3 other teams in the table. He can't play for draws every week which it very much sounds like he is from his interviews. He has to be brave himself and trust he can make changes which positively affect the game. Otherwise what is the point of him being a manager?

Leceister are a side worse than us, bar a few good players who would walk in to our side, they were there for the taking last night.

Should've gone for the jugular last night, and instead ran the starting eleven (okay, ten - but without Coleman's injury, there would've been no subs) into the ground.

The fresh legs of  Gray or Simms could've made a massive difference.
OK, Gray on for Iwobi probably, but who would you take off for Simms? Keane? he wasn't in the best of form

There is no guarantee it'll pay off granted, but the reward is an extra 2 points and going above 3 other teams in the table. He can't play for draws every week which it very much sounds like he is from his interviews. He has to be brave himself and trust he can make changes which positively affect the game. Otherwise what is the point of him being a manager?

Leceister are a side worse than us, bar a few good players who would walk in to our side, they were there for the taking last night.

…23 shots suggests to me that we didn’t play for a draw. Saying that, the manager still has to try and ensure the team doesn’t get beat. We obviously lack quality in the top third, perhaps Gray might have forged an opportunity but look what Maura did after coming on for Spurs at the weekend.

Or... They could have unsettled the team who were playing well in a very finely balanced and high pressure game...
I understand that argument, but we are very unlikely to draw our way out of this mess. There was a window of opportunity there, late on. Both sides were utterly goosed, and some fresh legs could've made a difference.

OK, Gray on for Iwobi probably, but who would you take off for Simms? Keane? he wasn't in the best of form
DCL, perhaps? He had a good game, but his running had understandably slowed by 80 minutes.

But I didn't necessarily mean both. Just that we had options on the bench. Gray for Iwobi (or even Gray for Doucoure and bring Iwobi inside) was my main thought watching it.

Whilst it would probably straight batted, or given the “not about me” treatment, quite odd (and cowardly) that no journo in post match interviews has ever had the bottle to ask if he would intend staying in post if we go down.

Could be a waste of a question as no doubt he’d waffle his way around the answer, but might be interesting to see his initial reaction. Better than infinite questions about Dom and other teams results, which he swats away anyway.

Slight disconnect between him and the support for me. Praises the fans, wears all the branded kit, and he was my choice. Just still needs that moment where he can get on the pitch and applaud all corners of the ground 🤷‍♂️. Feels like he is the manager, the club is the club, but the 2 are a bit separate.

This.
The team was 'in balance', you always take a chance when you upset the balance, yes it can tilt in your favour, but it can easily - especially when you're not playing too well - work against you.

Edit; @allen

None of them have the experience of a relegation battle ornin the premier league, would you stake a multi million pound business on an inexperienced manager, worked so well with Frank!
All of them know when a squad is tiring enough to make subs to push on for a win

If it was me in charge, I’d absolutely have faith in putting someone in charge who could not only pull us away but push us up the table

Well, unlike others I firmly believe the B'mouth game will be a live one.

There's a point in the next 2 games for us and I think Wolves on the basis of last night looks winnable...certainly a draw there. I think 31 points gets us a shot final day. But maybe we can get a point or two more...which would give us a real shot of determining our own fate.
I'd bite your hand off for 31 points going into the final day, which is quite sad I guess

A defeat last night would've sent us down IMO.

It was as much a point gained as two points dropped for Leicester. Keeps them in the thick of it with difficult fixtures.

I would've lobbed Gray on for DCL last 15 but you would then lose that presence up top which is a big risk.

A defeat last night would've sent us down IMO.

It was as much a point gained as two points dropped for Leicester. Keeps them in the thick of it with difficult fixtures.

I would've lobbed Gray on for DCL last 15 but you would then lose that presence up top which is a big risk.

we have to perform saturday.

no more draws

With how high Doucoure was playing, Gray could’ve come on and us kept the same defensive solidity which was also wobbly for a while. Hands were on knees for the last 15-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.