2023/24 Sean Dyche

If I was you I would have said, in the league, just so I could be correct.

If you know your history and what not.
If I was you I'd read the entire previous posts instead of being a bit of a knob here - you're usually someone I have a lot of time for, have defended, and have always treated with equal respect re: opinion and everything, but I see the true colour now that we've won literally 2 games of "arsed reading all that", so that's okay too :)

Mate stick to Burnley, this we missed countless chances is nonsense. Out of 34 games we have probably dominated, chances wise about 4 maybe 5. Plenty of draws we’ve been 2nd best, Newcastle, Villa, Fulham, palace. Just off the top of my head.

Get back to the Burnley forum, where I’m sure you still have a thread about your greatest ever manager. At Everton he’s one of our worst 👍 so will be forgotten very quickly in years from now
Good grief, that's an embarrassing take

If I was you I'd read the entire previous posts instead of being a bit of a knob here - you're usually someone I have a lot of time for, have defended, and have always treated with equal respect re: opinion and everything, but I see the true colour now that we've won literally 2 games of "arsed reading all that", so that's okay too :)

Apologies mate, didn’t mean to personally offend, genuinely!

Just having the craic and squeezing the pips, didn’t mean to personally offend.

Keep her country! ;)

How experienced? Is Ashley Young at 38 years of age a standard example? I don't think buying players in their mid 20s is too outrageous but they'd count as EXPERIENCED as well wouldn't they?

As for starting 'every game'....

RS (W) - Didn't Start
Forest (W) - Started
Chelsea (L) - Started
Burnley (W) - Started
Newcastle (D) - Started
Bournemouth (L) - Didn't Start
Man U (L) - Didn't Start
West Ham (L) - Didn't Start
Brighton (D) - Didn't Start
Palace (D) - Started
Man City (L) - Started
Tottenham (D) - Started
Fulham (D) - Started
Aston Villa (D) - Didn't Start
Wolves (L) - Didn't Start
Man City (L) - Didn't Start
Tottenham (L) - Didn't Start
Burnley (W) - Didn't Start
Chelsea (W) - Started
Newcastle (W) - Started
Nott Forest (W) - Started
Man U (L) - Started
Cry Pal (W) - Started

I could go on but he clearly hasn't started every game as you indicated earlier. I've missed the FA Cup and League Cup games out as they don't form the 38 matches you're talking about but feel free to guess what the percentages look like for start / didn't start.
I don’t think a semantics arguement regarding young is the way to win an arguement.

Of the 28 PL games he has been available for he has started 23 and come on as a sub in 4. Yes it’s not starting every game but he has on the main, been pretty appalling and yet still forced into the team nearly every time he is available.

Random thought looking over our April results, we have won 10 points this month despite a negative goal difference. Another win tomorrow and Dyche is likely on for manager of the month despite squeezing in a 6-0 defeat.

Random thought looking over our April results, we have won 10 points this month despite a negative goal difference. Another win tomorrow and Dyche is likely on for manager of the month despite squeezing in a 6-0 defeat.
I was speaking with a Norwich fan the other day, and they are the only club in PL history to have finished 3rd with a negative goal difference for that season. Quite remarkable.

Yes, now do the ones where were chasing a score and he was put on instead of anyone that could run at the opposing team.

Experienced as in 27-29+, which is his forte, which is what we'll go for again - it's building a team for the short term and being unable to get rid of some of the same players.

He's played 27 games, a lot of those as a starter, when there were other options available.

As I said to Neil - glad you're enjoying this, no idea where you (as in, plural, as he was holding down fort Dyche on his own) were hiding from January up to a week ago, stay happy with turd mediocrity and managerial ineptitude. It is, as I've been told a few times, what we deserve now apparently.
Having a brief look at his transfers there's definitely some that fall into that category and some even older. But there's also younger ones that Burnley sold on for healthy profit so much like your statement that Ashley Young starts EVERY game it appears to be a not entirely accurate definition. Playing 27 games, some as starter, is you must admit quite different to your original assertion.

I'm not gonna sit and analyse every substitution, how that particular match was going and optimal substitution strategies as that would likely involve having to sit and watch the games in full again for anything like a clear and accurate idea. A ridiculously involved endeavour I'd hope you'd agree. I'd be foolish to do it based on memory as you've already quite clearly demonstrated that the memory can hold false truths in regards to accurate specifics.

Perhaps a transfer policy based solely along the lines of Chermiti type deals would be beneficial but there's no demonstrable way of knowing that is there?

Not sure where you get the idea that I'm 'enjoying' this or that I believe we/Everton 'deserve' whatever this is now to be truthful. Saying that Dyche is doing a decent job given the current situation at the club and for the meantime seems a sensible if conservative choice until the club as a whole enters more stable waters isn't a glowing endorsement or a statement of long term ambition. There's a degree of hyperbole in how you're responding to it.

Since January I've posted in here (by which I mean this particular thread) not many times but definitely had done so before the derby win. About as regularly as before January I'd imagine but I haven't done the sums. It's just that sometimes it seems a little pointless having the same exchanges when the replies are often based on entirely made-up statements rather than accurate rebuttals containing actual facts.

There are other parts of the site, and subjects, I find more enjoyable, relaxed and less pointlessly hostile. That's where I've been 'hiding' since January.

I don’t think a semantics arguement regarding young is the way to win an arguement.

Of the 28 PL games he has been available for he has started 23 and come on as a sub in 4. Yes it’s not starting every game but he has on the main, been pretty appalling and yet still forced into the team nearly every time he is available.
Of the alternatives who has been consistently available and performed consistently well when called upon? To my mind neither Coleman nor Patterson falls into those categories. Godfrey did alright on Wednesday but again I'm not of the opinion that he's been notably better than others over the course of the season.

I'm not particularly enamoured by Ashley Young but I do get the feeling that from some quarters there's a particular focus on him where the negatives are amplified and the positives ignored. Understandable given some are looking at him in particular as a stick to beat the manager with. He's certainly not alone in having consistently played while being pretty appalling if that's the chosen definition of his performances.

Having a brief look at his transfers there's definitely some that fall into that category and some even older. But there's also younger ones that Burnley sold on for healthy profit so much like your statement that Ashley Young starts EVERY game it appears to be a not entirely accurate definition. Playing 27 games, some as starter, is you must admit quite different to your original assertion.

I'm not gonna sit and analyse every substitution, how that particular match was going and optimal substitution strategies as that would likely involve having to sit and watch the games in full again for anything like a clear and accurate idea. A ridiculously involved endeavour I'd hope you'd agree. I'd be foolish to do it based on memory as you've already quite clearly demonstrated that the memory can hold false truths in regards to accurate specifics.

Perhaps a transfer policy based solely along the lines of Chermiti type deals would be beneficial but there's no demonstrable way of knowing that is there?

Not sure where you get the idea that I'm 'enjoying' this or that I believe we/Everton 'deserve' whatever this is now to be truthful. Saying that Dyche is doing a decent job given the current situation at the club and for the meantime seems a sensible if conservative choice until the club as a whole enters more stable waters isn't a glowing endorsement or a statement of long term ambition. There's a degree of hyperbole in how you're responding to it.

Since January I've posted in here (by which I mean this particular thread) not many times but definitely had done so before the derby win. About as regularly as before January I'd imagine but I haven't done the sums. It's just that sometimes it seems a little pointless having the same exchanges when the replies are often based on entirely made-up statements rather than accurate rebuttals containing actual facts.

There are other parts of the site, and subjects, I find more enjoyable, relaxed and less pointlessly hostile. That's where I've been 'hiding' since January.
First off I said he's played everywhere except CB and ST, not every game - however as already pointed out he's played in nearly every game he's been available for anyway, regardless of how crap his form is or in general what the situation is. Weird that you've hopped on that as some overanalytical point, but to reiterate:
His track record is of "EXPERIENCED" players - he brought in Young to be an experienecd and cool head, played him at left back, he was atrocious, he's played everywhere except as a striker or CB since and had literally 2 good games.
Yeah, he didn't - he still did the previous 5 or so as well as having to be shoehorned in in various positions, especially when chasing a result and we need someone to run at them, instead of anyone younger or who can actually run.
Second off - he was brought in as a left back, which is where he was instantly slotted and was horrid before leaving that to an actual left back (similar to how for 4 games Branthwaite "wasn't ready" and Keane was playing). Since then he's been tried at right mid, centre mid, right back - all but 2 games, literally, he's been a net negative. He got us a penalty by whining, fair enough, and did okay once more recently, but he's picked up red cards, fouls, done poorly many more times and in costlier situations. Hell, even against Forest he was a walking penalty kick for them, but luckily the ref was from Luton or something or the other.

Anyway, "Chermiti type deals" is what we should go for but Dyche is hellbent on "earning a chance", whatever this means, so the same Chermiti types play 1 to 10 min a month, tops, which is utterly pointless. This isn't giving a player a chance - it's being stubborn.

He did walk into some good players during his 10+ years, Branthwaite included, but they also had to sit out long periods of time for no reason as experienced players had already "proven" their "experience", no doubt (not gonna bother finding a quote, but the man has said the exact same thing for years ffs - "experienced", "we gave it/did our best", "the fans were great") - McNeil is a player people point out often; the same McNeil played literally 1 minute of football in his first year at Burnley, then 80 minutes over half a season (in 1 game) before being given an actual fair chance; Keane was less as he was loaned in for 6 months before making it permanent and featuring more, and so on. Trippier was mentioned recently too, which is a great point - he was playing some fantastic stuff in the Championship and getting assists and goals but in the Prem he was instantly unable to go past the half way line, which is... well, the same as Dyche sets up now.

Point is, unless it's some generational talent or an instantly good enough player - he won't be playing any time soon. This is backed by Dyche himself admitting he sees no potential in anyone from the youth team. I don't want us to give him any kind of money and we shouldn't be surprised when we inevitably do (as we won't sack him) and he gets us a bunch of shockingly limited but tall players in their prime (26-29) and a bunch of 33+ free transfers, for the experience.

I got the idea you're enjoying Dyche's reign because of your avatar of Dyche with the hearts and all lol and because you've come back to defending him because we've won 2 games. We can't keep ignoring half the season being dire because of an obvious purple patch which started with a fluke of a goal vs Burnley as we could've played for 400 more minutes and didn't look like scoring.

Mate stick to Burnley, this we missed countless chances is nonsense. Out of 34 games we have probably dominated, chances wise about 4 maybe 5. Plenty of draws we’ve been 2nd best, Newcastle, Villa, Fulham, palace. Just off the top of my head.

Get back to the Burnley forum, where I’m sure you still have a thread about your greatest ever manager. At Everton he’s one of our worst 👍 so will be forgotten very quickly in years from now
Bit sad that isn't it?

Just giving an opinion on a football message board, in good faith, about your manager that was our manager for a good 9.5 years.

He isn't our 'greatest ever manager' and he certainly isn't one of your worst, but what he did was a good job and for that I will always be thankful and be somewhat supportive of any club he manages in the future... A bit like I'm doing now!

You might not like it, but if he leads you into your new stadium then he will be remembered for as long as the club functions.

Bit sad that isn't it?

Just giving an opinion on a football message board, in good faith, about your manager that was our manager for a good 9.5 years.

He isn't our 'greatest ever manager' and he certainly isn't one of your worst, but what he did was a good job and for that I will always be thankful and be somewhat supportive of any club he manages in the future... A bit like I'm doing now!

You might not like it, but if he leads you into your new stadium then he will be remembered for as long as the club functions.

Wouldn’t stress mate, the anti Dyche thing is being found out and lads are getting tetchy.

Most fans I think are living in the real world and can see the job he’s doing in this skip fire.

You can skip the thread really, all you’ll hear is, dog turd football, 14 games and I have ambition, again, again and again.

Be a long summer, with 0 craic.

Dont know how people can be so down and unhappy, given the couple of days we’ve had, but takes all types I guess.

You’re very welcome on here by the way, hope yee make a fist of it, oh and sell us Odobert! ;)

Last edited: