2023/24 Sean Dyche

Nobody's saying he's the greatest living Everton manager 😴
Great Everton Managers are judged on the trophy’s they win, I’ve had the great pleasure to have watched the Catterick and Kendall years but I got a bit of stick after suggesting that if Dyche keeps us up it should genuinely be considered one of the great Everton managerial achievements.

What Dyche has accomplished with Everton is really as expected. It's not pretty, but we are mostly well organized and robust. Perhaps in the future we can dream of a different type of football, but then we need quality players.

De Zerbi is perhaps the most hyped manager, and by all accounts, he has done a lot of good. But he also learns that it is difficult to achieve success with a style of play if you don't have the players for it. De Zerbi's style is about creating "counterattacks" by inviting pressure high into the pitch, but then you are dependent on having players who are pressure resistant, and players who can exploit the spaces that arise. With a quality player like Mitoma injured, and partly Solly March, this tactic has become ineffective.

Brighton have also struggled, under De Zerbi, against defenses that are balanced. Despite the fact that he largely uses positional play principles, or zone attacks. The problem is that he does not have the same quality players as Manchester City and Arsenal.

Tactics/style of play is about finding weaknesses in the opponents, and emphasizing the players' strengths. As a rule, the best players will always win if you have equal conditions, but by, for example, creating chaotic matches with many duels and second balls with high intensity, players like Kevin De Bruyne, Silva, etc., will not get to use their strengths, and must play to a greater extent on the opponent's strengths.

So Dyche has essentially done what any sensible manager would have done. He has assessed the strengths of the team and assessed that this is the style that will give us the most points over 38 games. Fortunately for us, he has not fallen for today's hipster ideology, and that there is only one right way to play. The right way to play is the style that maximizes the potential of the players.
I disagree, he would play the same way with Brighton’s players

I think he's absolutely entitled to claim complete ownership of this achievement. It's not success as we used to define it, but it is an achievement. And it was done DESPITE the ownership and management of the club, IN SPITE of the Premier League, and completely off their own bat (with the fans the only ones contributing).

He's entitled to feel vindicated and tell a few home truths now. He was the right man at the right time. Many other managers would have crumbled or run for the hills. How he turned them around after the 6-0 at Chelsea - a result that opened the door to mutinous players throwing him under the bus - I'll never know, but he has kept us up twice now in perilous situations. I don't know how many more Houdini acts he should be expected to perform, but he deserves better than the rabble currently not overseeing the club.

He's done a stunningly good job. With very little funds he's taken a bottom 4 side and turned it into a side that's going to be ending the season on about 50 points... if it wasn't for the points deduction that is.

It was pretty relaxing in the ground today for the first time in a long time. Now we are 100% mathematically safe, I couldn’t care less how Dyche approaches the final games, try out some new formations, give the kids a go, Warrington, Hunt, Chermiti etc. Let’s enjoy it before the fume resumes in August