Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather look at the acual table and see the points we have compared to a fictional nonsense one but maybe that's just me.
You are correct but the point is that we need a few games with a proper forward line to make a judgement. Our board ensured forwards were a luxury item prior to the last fortnight.

8 more games before the November international break. We need to have seen progression by that point with a decent number of points on the board. I think that's the time to make a better assessment of the season.

So far, it's been nowhere near good enough. So we need a big improvement in the next couple of months, and by improvement I mean results. No other statistic or metric matters.

We're 7th in the xPts should-have-been table this morning. Good stuff.

I know a lot of people don't place much importance on stats and data (although worth pointing out here that Brighton's rise has been driven almost entirely on the clever use of stats and data), but accepting that the sample size here is pretty small, it's the main reason I'm not panicking. My perception watching the games is that we've been unlucky and that we should have scored more goals and got more points than we have. The data backs this up. The actual worry, from my perspective, again born out by the stats, is that defensively we've looked much less secure than I'd expect from a Dyche team.

Go back to last season and it's the reverse. At this point under Lampard we were on 2 points, but we were overperforming on our xGA and it led to some OTT perceptions that we'd sorted our defence out with the Tarkowski and Coady coming in.

The data tells us at the moment we've scored far fewer goals than we should have, but we've conceded almost the number that we should have too. On the one hand that gives me some comfort because we've brought in new attacking players who are only just getting up and running so you'd hope that will help on getting the ball in the net, but the red flag is the defensive numbers - that has to improve.

Same bunch of loser players who've stank the place out for every manager yet every metric has us going in the right direction on the pitch.

Who'd you get in charge to play beautiful, fluid football when Patterson can't play a 5-yard pass to the man in front or Gana gives it away cheaply under no pressure? Who'd you get in charge when the club can't rub two pennies together and is selling every player they can without reinvesting in the squad? Lampard stunk the gaff out worse and longer before anyone turned all because he's got a bit of prestige to his name.

We're among the worst fans in the country. Fans are chomping at the bit to turn on another manager despite the owner and board killing the club in front of our eyes.

United fans every week protest their owners despite the money they spend, ours put their tails between their legs because 'Chairman Bill' told them to.
Arsed to play beautiful - I want us to win.

Patterson can't play a forward pass because we play no right winger, he did that fine last year interestingly enough.
Gana's given it away easily when asked to do anything more than a defensive mid, which for us he doesn't do.
Onana can't be a jack of all trades because he just can't, he's not that type of player, yet Dyche uses him like that.

Fans are chomping at the bits because he's a defensive manager who can't set us up to defend and let all his defenders go, we're playing crap (result wise, style wise of course we are, it's Sean "4-4-facking-2" Dyche but it'd be okay if we got results), the guy's ingame management is abysmal, he obviously can't set up the team to play as a team other than "lump it to the big guy" and depend on a moment of magic, and he insists to play favourites until it's way too late.

All of the above? Manager's decisions. Nothing to do with who is on the board. It could be Jesus of Nazareth as owner and Sean Dyche will still be a dinosaur. A proper Kenwright hire, in that way, so yeah we are in this situation because he hired him but the buck stops there with fat Bill.

Pile on the apologies though, it's the players, the DoF, the academy, the stadium, the pitch, lack of luck, tea lady, Dom's clothing, the ghost of Tom Davies' skateboard, "Villa are in Europe so it's okay it could've been a basketball score", "Wolves are obviously better than us", "we shouldn't expect anything from Fulham at home", and last but not least, the chairman of course. Everything but the manager and his mistakes.

The table doesn’t lie. But I don’t think anyone needs a math equation to figure out if we had a striker the first three matches, we likely get results out of two of them.
I think people need to remember the opposition. Fulham were rancid that day and Wolves are poor. We gifted both 3 points. We'd be lucky to get another 4 or 5 games against opposition that bad this season.

We are bang in trouble and Dyche is a large part of the reason why.

I’ve said a few times that we need to give the manager 10 games and then see how things are going. Overall in the season we need probably 10 wins and 10 draws to be assured of safety, there are 38 games in a season, we have only had 4 so far.
I think 3 of them have been close, we’ve been in the games and should have gotten positive results from 3 of the 4 games.
Hopefully after the international break we will have Harrison back and McNeil will be more match fit.
I think against Sheffield Utd you could at least see patterns of play and what we were trying to do offensively. The players that are out there are playing for the manager and the club.

The having is irrelevant a chara, as a mere contributor rather then the protaginset of the debate, that need is not one that needs to be sated! lol

I don't understand what you are saying in the first paragraph here, "over 38 games" we are on a hiding to nothing - with a striker....how do you know this. Its opinion not fact. Brighton had a higher XG - great - thats not reality.

6 wins in 23 is 18 points, without a centre forward - in 23 - how many in the 23 are draws on average within that - that has comfortably us safe - thanks for providing that stat.

The managing of the skip fire is systemic, part of the systemic disfunction of the club and specifically the footballing dept has been a lack of consistency, coherence, long term development and sustainability of the management team - a new manager every six months, a new investment made, some players are winners some are losers, the whol cycle begins again - all the time incrementally dropping lower and lower - that is the true gasoline on the skip fire and this is what you are suggesting in the progressive step. Definitely not, its stupid continuing doing what has gotten us here.

The dude was hired to get the to get the best out of limited players and funds - mission accomplished if we look around we are premier league team kept up somehow by a manager with no centre forward for his run and in the end no full backs - for my money we were the worst team to ever stay up and only did so because of the manager doing exactly - getting the best out of limited players and funds. Transforming the worst team ever to stay up, is a process not event - weve started the season with injury crisis and in his first game and half of having a fit Centre forward we have gotten two results. We and he have more pieces of the puzzle to come back and improve.

Ultimately you are trying to predict the future here - he has already succeeded is what many (if i remember correctly) thought was a lost cause when he came in - he for the first time this week got a centre forward and we have more players to come.

Lets be honest from day 1 you werent a fan so without any objective evidence your mind is made up - there's no point making stats now to predict the future, own the opinion, its not objective as you were against before he took one game - but thats fine - you arent a fan. When things arent going well you'l stick the boot in - but there is plenty of context to what's going on and a lot of evidence of what you wish isn't in the best interests of the club - its how we got here. The skipfire has been buring for a while, if only changing the manager would discernably change that - i think we are the perfect of example of how changing managers repeatedly leads us to pass, lets not repeat the same mistake.
I agree with just about nothing of that but no point to wax lyrical forever like that mate - he's just objectively and subjectively not a good manager.

On average 6 in 23 is about that or worse as we were last year after 23 games. Saying "...but with a striker" is the same as what I said about xG - not based in reality as there's no proof it will happen. We had a striker the other day and we still could've easily lost if it wasn't for a freak save/situation/post... thing ( lol ) at the end with Pickford.

On the last paragraph - from the day we were rumoured I've said I'd be okay if he changed his ways and he wasn't still stuck in Burnley land; late subs, nonsense selections/teams, lack of identity (not talking about "style" here, rather efficiency). I'm shockingly not against him, I don't want this to be a Lampard situation again, which it is - we're 1 out of 12 currently, that's in no way a good start and it falls on the manager for obvious mistakes we all saw - that's on Dyche.

Last season, btw, I've said my piece a million times, but we could've been safe several games earlier, but he only knows 1 thing, and unlucky for him that 1 thing got a stupid red card against Tottenham - it showed the team isn't built around a striker but around the guy who plays behind, who is apparently only Doucoure lol as when he went away we changed, in no order, to hoofball with 3 at the back, hoofball with 4 at the back, etc., instead of doing the unthinkable - retaining the same shape that works and putting any other player in the Doucoure position. It's not like Doucoure himself is prime Mesut Ozil, the lad controls the ball with his shinpads 9/10 times ffs.

What I'm saying is I'd love Gravelvoice if he'd changed his ways, but right now we're the blue Burnley and he seems to not have changed/adapted his was 1 iota. We're preparing to fail and go to the Championship unless he adapts. Which he won't, because 1) evidence, eye test, statistics and actual football on display tell us he won't, 2) he's Sean Dyche. People memed on him for being a football dinosaur, and I honestly held hope that it's just memes, but it isn't really, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back