Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of our managerial searches in recent years have been utterly dreadful though, our only criteria for a manager is 'PL experience' we limit our market massively. I go back to the Dyche appointment, Kenwright and co wanted Dyche whereas it was reported Thelwell wanted Corberan, well from a profile point of view Corberan and Dyche are about as opposite as it gets. We need joined up thinking when it comes to this stuff.
Agreed, it's been a mess and they don't really know what they want.

It's part of the reason that I'd rather Dyche and the team came good this season - I don't think we have the finances to support a decent manager so we'll just get another desperate one.

Judge Dyche over the next 3/4 games, players will be back and we have some winnable fixtures again
If we aren’t on 7 points minimum after the next 4. And then a 2 week break to Liverpool, he maybe gone. I think the moshiri of 12 months ago, would definitely have sacked him, Luckily for Dinosaur Dyche he may not be that bothered anymore

All of our managerial searches in recent years have been utterly dreadful though, our only criteria for a manager is 'PL experience' we limit our market massively. I go back to the Dyche appointment, Kenwright and co wanted Dyche whereas it was reported Thelwell wanted Corberan, well from a profile point of view Corberan and Dyche are about as opposite as it gets. We need joined up thinking when it comes to this stuff.
What I have an issue with as well, we are buying plyers to suit dyche. I’d have bet my left Bollock the striker we sign being over 6ft 2”
Beto May turn out to be brilliant.

I suppose it’s bette to be bigger and average than small and average.

Also moshiri Wanted Bielsa, who would have got the job if he’d said yes. Think Corberan worked under him at Leeds
I know some will point to silva and lampard, but I’d prefer a young manager, who wants to play the modern way.

When dyche gets sacked, do we appoint another long ball merchant, who’s happy with 35% possession most weeks

What I have an issue with as well, we are buying plyers to suit dyche. I’d have bet my left Bollock the striker we sign being over 6ft 2”

Also moshiri Wanted Bielsa, who would have got the job if he’d said yes. Think Corberan worked under him at Leeds
I know some will point to silva and lampard, but I’d prefer a young manager, who wants to play the modern way.

When dyche gets sacked, do we appoint another long ball merchant, who’s happy with 35% possession most weeks
Beto can play with the ball at feet though which is a bonus and Chermiti clearly wants it too his feet. Id be really interested to see who comes next as in terms of the 'PL experience' mob we are running out of options tbh.

I'll wait until we have a full strength side a few games before demanding his head. He has been let down but that doesn't mean he can get away with the dirge he's serving up currently.

Looks like a huge strength of Beto is his pace in behind, I would like us to utilise that and not keep hoofing to his head.

Mad how they sorted the attack out but then let the midfield and defence fall apart. Will we ever have a balanced squad instead of square pegs round holes?

Dyche boosted us last season, and was a big contribution to keeping us up.

He did that without a striker (vs Lamps who kept us up with a striker + Gordon). It was incredible.

What he's dealing with now is our top-down culture that permits negligence and mediocrity.

As such we've come back to the new season soft, after a bang average pre-season of games, and key signings (Young is not one) done late. That's not all down to Dyche. The fact that this chaotic, complacency in club ops and dealings has continued during Dyche's reign shows to what extent it's out of his control with BK, Thelwell and co. His statement that we'd 'missed some of our targets' was as muted an objection to sloppiness from the Board and Ops as a decent club guy like Dyche will ever make.

But now it's done. We cannot let the board's archaic ineptitude define us or we'd have already been relegated.

So from here it has to be sleeves up, build the team's fitness (again!), and pray Beto delivers and DCL shows up. Then we'll be OK. Dyche can only really do something about the first two, albeit I too would like to see the quality of delivery in the final third drastically improved (as per last post), which Dyche and team can work on.

Last edited:
I agree with just about nothing of that but no point to wax lyrical forever like that mate - he's just objectively and subjectively not a good manager.

On average 6 in 23 is about that or worse as we were last year after 23 games. Saying "...but with a striker" is the same as what I said about xG - not based in reality as there's no proof it will happen. We had a striker the other day and we still could've easily lost if it wasn't for a freak save/situation/post... thing ( lol ) at the end with Pickford.

On the last paragraph - from the day we were rumoured I've said I'd be okay if he changed his ways and he wasn't still stuck in Burnley land; late subs, nonsense selections/teams, lack of identity (not talking about "style" here, rather efficiency). I'm shockingly not against him, I don't want this to be a Lampard situation again, which it is - we're 1 out of 12 currently, that's in no way a good start and it falls on the manager for obvious mistakes we all saw - that's on Dyche.

Last season, btw, I've said my piece a million times, but we could've been safe several games earlier, but he only knows 1 thing, and unlucky for him that 1 thing got a stupid red card against Tottenham - it showed the team isn't built around a striker but around the guy who plays behind, who is apparently only Doucoure lol as when he went away we changed, in no order, to hoofball with 3 at the back, hoofball with 4 at the back, etc., instead of doing the unthinkable - retaining the same shape that works and putting any other player in the Doucoure position. It's not like Doucoure himself is prime Mesut Ozil, the lad controls the ball with his shinpads 9/10 times ffs.

What I'm saying is I'd love Gravelvoice if he'd changed his ways, but right now we're the blue Burnley and he seems to not have changed/adapted his was 1 iota. We're preparing to fail and go to the Championship unless he adapts. Which he won't, because 1) evidence, eye test, statistics and actual football on display tell us he won't, 2) he's Sean Dyche. People memed on him for being a football dinosaur, and I honestly held hope that it's just memes, but it isn't really, is it?

Respectfully agree/disagree mate, we're not going to meet here.

On the 6 in 23 average - you've gone to binary presuming a win and a loss - there are three outcomes, a win, a draw and a loss if you apply the frequency of draws to the average of the sample - then you have different outcome and not relegation relegation. Our XG is very high for our chance conversion at the moment - that fine but its not results, so the stat doesn't carry much rela life objectivity despite indicating a trend - not the same thing as getting a striker, i think its safe to say objectively the requirement has been screaming out for so long, one indicates a subjective trends the other exists in objective reality to influence - they aren't the same thing at all.

Im not quite sure what are the nonsense selections, late subs or lack of identity - for me we have far more coherence in terms of identity then we have had under our last two managers, team selections - i think that's an overlay harsh criticism - hes essentially had to play who ever was fit - again having to manage a sin not of his making. On one or two occasions id be critical on late subs, but i go back to my previous point of the squad being so short - his options to change it have included limited subs and often two keepers.

I think you've jumped massively here. I believe every manager deserves his shot with his own window to influence it. Keeping us up without a centre forward and laterally full back - was incredible. Hes earned collateral. Right now the dogs in the street know, we haven't put out our best players yet, if nothing changes ill hold my hand up and say im wrong, but at the moment i think the man deserves a fair crack of the whip at least half of the season and look at the trend. Lets see how he dies with a centre forward and getting the players hes signed fit and on the pitch - i think then fair criticism if required woudl be more fitting. Id have a red line on risk of relegation myself.

I think we vary it al ot - yes we go direct, but sometimes that very sensible if you are struggling with a press. I think at the moment we are very narrow and compact, i think because of that there is to much space down the flanks and that is how we are being hurt. I look at that and i say is that down the tactics or is it the players. Teh full backs can be got at because, they get little protection its not Garners game and Danjuma looks rusty to me - so hes not at the point in his fitness where he can up and down the line. I see an improvement both as an outlet, lkine breaking but also protection on the flanks when McNeill and Harrison come in. Im more concerned with the back four dropping deep and the gap between them and midfield TBH.

On Doucoure there a couple of things, playing with a two in midfield we didn't have control of a game under Lampard, our midfield isnt good enough not to go with a three and instead of going with a 10 we play his as say an 8 and a half. To be very fair to him - hes been impactful, hes been our best players in my opinion since Dyche has come in, maybe apart from Pickford. But it is an area we could add variance - we know the problem there and its systemic with limits.

Ultimately this comes down to change, or pace of change, for me its a process and not event, we have players to come into influence things and weve played a game and half since the manager finally got a centre forward that has yielded a win and a draw. If when all of that comes to pass and results remain to go south - ill come back and say you were right mate. ;)

Last edited:

Who replaces dyche though? What wizard is going to get a tune out of the players we have?

Perhaps the players are speaking out (behind the managers back) because he is making them work for their pay packets.
Well we've added five players and got Branthwaite back from loan so I think it is lazy just saying all the players are crap. I actually like the business done but we needed more, at least another 2 or 3.

However it is his job to get them playing, scoring, keeping clean sheets and on that he's not dooing great really. He won't last unless we or he sorts us out. We desperately need clean sheets if goals will be a struggle(I don't think they will once everyone is fit) .

I agree with just about nothing of that but no point to wax lyrical forever like that mate - he's just objectively and subjectively not a good manager.

On average 6 in 23 is about that or worse as we were last year after 23 games. Saying "...but with a striker" is the same as what I said about xG - not based in reality as there's no proof it will happen. We had a striker the other day and we still could've easily lost if it wasn't for a freak save/situation/post... thing ( lol ) at the end with Pickford.

On the last paragraph - from the day we were rumoured I've said I'd be okay if he changed his ways and he wasn't still stuck in Burnley land; late subs, nonsense selections/teams, lack of identity (not talking about "style" here, rather efficiency). I'm shockingly not against him, I don't want this to be a Lampard situation again, which it is - we're 1 out of 12 currently, that's in no way a good start and it falls on the manager for obvious mistakes we all saw - that's on Dyche.

Last season, btw, I've said my piece a million times, but we could've been safe several games earlier, but he only knows 1 thing, and unlucky for him that 1 thing got a stupid red card against Tottenham - it showed the team isn't built around a striker but around the guy who plays behind, who is apparently only Doucoure lol as when he went away we changed, in no order, to hoofball with 3 at the back, hoofball with 4 at the back, etc., instead of doing the unthinkable - retaining the same shape that works and putting any other player in the Doucoure position. It's not like Doucoure himself is prime Mesut Ozil, the lad controls the ball with his shinpads 9/10 times ffs.

What I'm saying is I'd love Gravelvoice if he'd changed his ways, but right now we're the blue Burnley and he seems to not have changed/adapted his was 1 iota. We're preparing to fail and go to the Championship unless he adapts. Which he won't, because 1) evidence, eye test, statistics and actual football on display tell us he won't, 2) he's Sean Dyche. People memed on him for being a football dinosaur, and I honestly held hope that it's just memes, but it isn't really, is it?

He’s not won 6 in 23, you’re giving him too much credit.

Hope not.

And had the easiest start to the season of all the prem teams

Not true.

1693822073878.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back