2023/24 Sean Dyche

The thing is, full-backs aside, I don't think out best XI is relegation fodder... certainly levels above Luton, Sheff Utd and Burnley's.

Besides the Villa game, I don't think we've ever been set up perfectly for the players we have available and I think it's cause Dyche doesn't trust the full-backs.

I agree mate, said the same here.

But how he setup against Luton has really spooked me. Full strength team, he set up how he did, responded how he did, and even how we defended set pieces...

An absolute horror show, and one that is on the manager, IMO.

I agree mate, said the same here.

But how he setup against Luton has really spooked me. Full strength team, he set up how he did, responded how he did, and even how we defended set pieces...

An absolute horror show, and one that is on the manager, IMO.

Ive been saying the same for a fair few games mate, the set up from Dyche is wrong - and it ultimately hampers players. His ability to change things on the fly is really poor too.

I think he's gotten away with it so far with some fans because it's been "change the story" or "details", but the Luton game I think has pushed a few over that edge.

He quickly needs to change what he's doing.

Yes

Almost sure it happened either side of the world cup last season.

Leicester 0-2
Wolves 1-2
Brighton 1-4
Southampton 1-2

We did avoid 5 in a row by beating Arsenal though. But Lampard was sacked due to those defeats, so Dyche should rightly be under a lot of scrutiny. His predecessor was sacked for a very similar run of form.

That sequence 'complicated' by the intervention of the world cup during it.

There is actually a massive flaw with it but when you try and explain it to people some 'folk' they get very offended
I think some people can only understand football when viewed through the prism of statistics. You challenge a statistic, you challenge their reading of the game.

But football is not a science, at least not exclusively. You can't fall back on statistics as a replacement for decades of experience of the game and how it's played.

But that Luton game... I've never been so infuriated with a result, and Everton manager as that. Absolutely appalling.
This.

I still can't calm down over it.

And his BS about not taking the chance "to change the story" is driving me up the wall even more.

He chose to change a winning formula and then expected a change in the season's narrative.

That last post match press conference shows him rattled and not using the arrogant persona he usually adopts at press conferences. I'm not surprised when the probable new owners are seeing a shambles like that.

I think he knows he's got the Bournemouth game to take all 3 points or he's sacked and replaced by the derby.

One of the things that worries me is that week after week we get done by short corner routines
yet Dyche has changed nothing. He packs the small area and leaves the edge of the penalty box
unprotected.

Also, how is it possible that a big, ugly number 9 can hide away at a free kick and no one notices?
Their number 5 had an unchallenged header from an earlier corner that he should have nailed.

I thought by getting Dyche we would get Dyche-Ball but no. I believe Dyche will turn things around
because we have enough good players to survive but his selections and tactics are clearly failing at present.

Way too early to say that a Bournemouth defeat would mean the end of Dyche if
only because there is no money to pay off him and his team. And who would replace
him? Fat Sam?

Dyche is currently on par with his lovely 25 points from 25 games ratio!
The guy didnt want to get to carried away with himself by having 28 points from 25 games, that would not fit with his aim of 38 points a season!

Let’s be serious here, if we beat Bournemouth that doesn’t make him the right man for the job. Whether he keeps his job shouldn’t depend on the result of that game or not. The following game is as certain a defeat as you’re going to get in football, so if our owners have any sort of proactive long term vision about them they’ll be scoping out a replacement and getting rid of him after the derby regardless of what our result is against Bournemouth.

I think some people can only understand football when viewed through the prism of statistics. You challenge a statistic, you challenge their reading of the game.

But football is not a science, at least not exclusively. You can't fall back on statistics as a replacement for decades of experience of the game and how it's played.
Stats have their place. The game is so big these days and there is so much money involved and decisions being made can be worth millions of pounds hence the 'eye test' just not being enough and you need something else to back it up, that's just common sense tbh, but there has to be a balance with it. As for Xg well the big issue is that the model used to calculate it treats all players as if they are born equal. We know that football is a game based on individual talent levels and Haaland has a better chance of scoring a goal than the likes of Maupay. It also doesn't take into account the goalkeeper the striker is facing. It's a lot easier to score against Trafford (Burnleys keeper) than say Alison. There is alot more to it than this and there is a good paper online (somewhere) about the good and bad of Xg and it has it's place in the game but aslong as you are aware of how it actually works and what it's flaws are.