2023/24 Sean Dyche

Its true isn’t it, 15 games ago it was only you who was manning the trenches mate. There was loads of “I know I said I didn’t like him, but I was wrong” type posts.

A lot of People’s opinions are reactionary as opposed to being responsive. Which is I assume why you stuck to your guns, fair play and all!

When we have a new manager next season he will be hyped up as the second coming.

You will all turn on him in the end.
I think it's about having a realistic expectations im not expecting di zerbi like football but even someone like Gary O'Neil would be decent , a manager who is versatile and can adapt without resorting to siege defense. Can everton fans be parsnikety and demanding absolutely but this is some dire football with no recent positive results to speak for

We're on a terrible run, one which deserves scrutiny.

But has he earned more points in his first full season on the pitch than the last two seasons?

If he keeps us up, as he already would have done without deductions - then it's a brilliant achievement all considered. Surviving relegation is the objective, and massive consensus at the start of the season.

Would sacking him now, or any replacement we could bring in - make any odds? No clue.

But it doesn't matter IMO, because they wont/cant sack him so instead of the negative energy around the manager - attention should be dragging them over the line. As it was under Lampard.

His job was to make sure we don't get relegated. Which i think he will do.

For me he was always a steady the ship manager and replace when the FFP issues would be eased this summer was my original thinking.

But, the accounts are far worse than what we imagined at the start of 2023. Next season will be horrific if we are still in limbo with regards to the takeover.

It's who would replace him.

It's also what it's like behind the scenes.

If he has lost respect/it's iffy behind the scenes like Koeman, then yes.

All about staying in the league - whatever gives us the best odds of that. For me, it feels Dyche or a Baines/Coleman interim. I think Dyche gives us better odds, unless it's gone bad behind the scenes.
And I agree, I might be saying "sack him now", but I wouldnt REALLY sack him now, nor will he be.

Ask me again Sunday night tho.

I think it's about having a realistic expectations im not expecting di zerbi like football but even someone like Gary O'Neil would be decent , a manager who is versatile and can adapt without resorting to siege defense. Can everton fans be parsnikety and demanding absolutely but this is some dire football with no recent positive results to speak for

You would turn on Gary O'Neil within 6 months.

I quite liked Martinez , he did get a bit annoying towards the end but getting Kendall to Finch Farm and how he spoke about the club I really liked.

He just needed a good defensive assistant manager to keep him in check.
Just like dyche with his lack of a cohesive attacking approach , Martinez had ample time to sort out our set piece frailties yet just like dyche he was too stubborn and full of hubris to make changes.

He developed Trippier and Danny Ings as well don't forget. They were doing nothing at Burnley until Sean rocked up.

Lets not downplay the 7th/10th spots with Burnley either - I get that you want to, to suggest he's never been good but he was great for us for the most part - completely changed the club that I thought would never see the top division again.

With regards to names I'm talking about the likes of Schumacher and others of that calibre; I do concede on Moyes but may add he was doing consistently well with PNE but could never get them over the line.

See my other post re Vinny - he's done a ton of truly bizarre things and I'd even argue at times attempted to play even less direct than we did last season.

As for Everton right now? Not sure what the best bet is. I mean, who's even in charge right now? I do think any manager would massively struggle now, especially one that has come from stability and a lot of influence in how they run the footballing operations (a Kompany type)... all I was suggesting with my posts is that it seems to me that it isn't the same Sean Dyche that he once was and that he needs to have a period of reflection if he wants to continue with his managerial career in Football.
The Everton job is an unbelievably difficult one at the best of times and at the moment its virtually impossible so I'm not surprised that he's weary and trying to focus on simple things. The expectation here is sky high still even though we've been awful for years and frankly a decent portion of our fan base is deluded about how good the players are and how easy it would be to turn things around. I get labelled as some sort of Dyche fanatic because I don't despise every single thing he ever does but theres no doubt that results haven't been good enough in recent months and the football isn't good to watch so people are always going to be unhappy. I feel sorry for him because a lot of fans have just never wanted him and never really given him a chance so they won't even acknowledge that keeping us up with an 8 point deduction after we've stayed up by a cumulative 6 points in the last 2 seasons would be a job well done which is sad but because of that I think its best if he leaves at the end of season whatever happens because there'll be a cloud over the club until he goes. I doubt he realised that the pressure would be anything like it is when he agreed to take the job.

Last edited:

I think sacking him now would be awfully risky, as much as he's done my head in.

We deffo should be at least exploring other possibilities come June though.
I think the forest game is the ultimate barometer on whether he can get us through the season another debacle like we experienced against Chelsea he needs to go and a caretaker manager would be a more suitable option

We still have the scum in the second derby , if we get trounced that could definitely deflate an already broken team and we usually don't become galvanized after a major defeat like some teams so it will be interesting how we play on Sunday

losing games is fine, no one expects wins all the time, its the manner of how you play and the manner of the defeats thats important

look at liverpool, one of the best run clubs with one of the best managers in the world and some of the best players in the world and they just lost 2 games in a row to atalanta and palace. even the best teams in the world lose games every now and then.

when you don't win a league game in 14 attempts or whatever and the football style is absolute crap then thats when you are going to face valid criticism