2023/24 Sean Dyche

Not a great style of football, but if we had 8 points back - & won last night as we did so made up with that win - we would be well pleased with Dyche, but would the brand of football change if we could buy big stars?

The consistency has been the factor all year. We've gone on decent runs then folded and then that horrific run (I think we have to attribute some of that to the points penalty).

We have a good record against the teams around us, next season has to be thinking about fine margins and increasing the pool of teams we pick up points against - improving from 16/17 to 14/15th.

We'll probably have to decide between selling Onana or Branthwaite. It would be Onana for me, then perhaps look at some free transfers or picks from the championship. I think we need a RB, RW/striker and CM (someone who is happy to have the ball).
Onana or Branthwaite? Ha! Onana has proven to be utterly superfluous for us, Branthwaite essential.

Not a fan of his style at all and that run of games without a win was inexcusable - but it's difficult to see those points accumulated over the season so far and not think that he's done some decent work all in all..

Nearly 2000 pages on a bloke who eats worms. Blimey.

Best manager we've had in years, as borne out by the results from a relatively poor squad. End of discussion, close the thread.

All the laughing emojis on this post yesterday. Now you're all smoking his pole this morning.

At some point 'good management' has become synonymous with 'football philosophy' - but really Dyche is an excellent manager - he's had much more to manage than most of the league this season.

The criticism is on 'in-game management' - but that's only a part of the package - especially if the owner and organisation is barely functioning.

Since Carlo, we have had 2 awful managers. Dyche has brought stability in really difficult circumstances. We know his strengths and weaknesses.
He is getting as much out of this average squad as he can. Judge him more after another season and 2 more transfer windows.
He has improved us from last season ,if he can improve us next season up to mid table,I don't think any other manager could do any better.

I leave all other factors to consider (there are dozens) that led to it aside for once now, just the pure prem results.

We have played 51 prem games with Dyche resulting in 62 points, in a full prem season this would be 46 points in 38 games, which is alright with the current squad. Granting we would be around a -10 goal difference, this leads to finish between 10-13 based on the last 10 seasons.

It's a step forward back to a level what can be expected for the Everton 2024 squad after 2 really underperforming seasons resultwisely.

Home form under Dyche: 26 games 35 points (10w, 5d, 11l), scored 27, conceded 31. 1.35 ppg
Away form: 26 games 27 points (6w, 9d, 10l), scored 28 conceded 44. 1.04 ppg

Which makes a total stats of 16w, 14d, 21l, with 55 scored and 75 conceded.

Not a great style of football, but if we had 8 points back - & won last night as we did so made up with that win - we would be well pleased with Dyche, but would the brand of football change if we could buy big stars?
Don't need "BIG STARS" we need consistency and a bit of quality. Paying over the odds for a name got us 8 points deducted. A blended approach similar to the end of Moyes/start of Martinez is the direction of travel. If we buy cheap and sell high but do like Brighton with good due diligence we should get back to some form of respectability.

Don't need "BIG STARS" we need consistency and a bit of quality. Paying over the odds for a name got us 8 points deducted. A blended approach similar to the end of Moyes/start of Martinez is the direction of travel. If we buy cheap and sell high but do like Brighton with good due diligence we should get back to some form of respectability.
We need a proper buyer first to do that .....

We would have all taken 40ish points and 14th-12th finish at the start of the season, so it's job done for him this season really

Hopefully there's a higher ceiling for him, but I'll happily take that again next season too

Right now it's about keeping heads above water until we're in the new ground
It’s great when we’re winning and grim when we aren’t. Can’t complain at him keeping us up with a bit to spare (assuming all goes our way on Sat) and I can’t see us changing things unless new owners come in with drastic new ideas. Add on the 8 points and I’d imagine it would just be a few gripes about the style of play.

But got to give him massive credit for last night.