2024/25 Sean Dyche

I think that was poor from Textor. Dyche knows, as do we, that when the ownership changes, so does the management. It was only ever going to be for a few seasons.

For Textor to question and, imo, undermine him in that way was really thoughtless and unprofessional.
Well this is the kind of owner we're getting. Palace fans think he's a looper and are happy to see the back of him. Now is he more loopy than Moshiri? We will see.

Well this is the kind of owner we're getting. Palace fans think he's a looper and are happy to see the back of him. Now is he more loopy than Moshiri? We will see.

Did they think the same when he personally paid for them to sign Wharton last January or when he paid to fund their new 20m academy?

@Alan Whittle you heard the same mate as I got it on good authority he did both

There's a lack of decency involved in saying "can he deal with good players?"

I mean, I wonder that myself.

But as his prospective new boss, there's just no need for him to say that on TV.
Dyche is pragmatic enough to understand the position he's in so that aspect doesn't overly worry me, but it sends a difficult message to a squad that's already likely low on morale to be talking about wanting to bring in a higher calibre of player. Especially when he's relying on the ones we have to keep us in the division this season to protect his potential investment.

Maybe some players might see it as a challenge but others might think what's the point if this guy is going to replace me anyway.

Dyche is pragmatic enough to understand the position he's in so that aspect doesn't overly worry me, but it sends a difficult message to a squad that's already likely low on morale to be talking about wanting to bring in a higher calibre of player. Especially when he's relying on the ones we have to keep us in the division this season to protect his potential investment.

Maybe some players might see it as a challenge but others might think what's the point if this guy is going to replace me anyway.
Yeah, it just wasn't necessary.

I found the interview useful in understanding a bit more about the guy and the way he does things. He seems passionate and straightforward - which are two things I admire.

So if his aim was to communicate a bit more to Evertonians what he's about, then mission accomplished.

But there was nothing useful about questioning Dyche's capability with players who aren't tall Irish centre backs. Something along the lines of wanting to meet with Dyche and talk about his plans for the club would've been fine. You can hint at direction without straight-up questioning a person's ability.

Yeah, it just wasn't necessary.

I found the interview useful in understanding a bit more about the guy and the way he does things. He seems passionate and straightforward - which are two things I admire.

So if his aim was to communicate a bit more to Evertonians what he's about, then mission accomplished.

But there was nothing useful about questioning Dyche's capability with players who aren't tall Irish centre backs. Something along the lines of wanting to meet with Dyche and talk about his plans for the club would've been fine. You can hint at direction without straight-up questioning a person's ability.
I guess on the flipside if there's a positive it's that Dyche has been coming across as a guy with a sense of invincibility - both in terms of the great job he himself seems to believe he's doing, and also from the fact there's no one there to sack him (or we can't afford it). So a little reminder of his mortality might be due- after all he's been happy to criticise the players for failings like Bournemouth but who is critiquing his performance?

At the same time you can do that without also further undermining the players, which "could he manage better players?" also does.

I guess on the flipside if there's a positive it's that Dyche has been coming across as a guy with a sense of invincibility - both in terms of the great job he himself seems to believe he's doing, and also from the fact there's no one there to sack him (or we can't afford it). So a little reminder of his mortality might be due- after all he's been happy to criticise the players for failings like Bournemouth but who is critiquing his performance?

At the same time you can do that without also further undermining the players, which "could he manage better players?" also does.
Yes, again I agree that would be a reasonable motivation to let Dyche know these things.

I just keep coming back to it not needing to be public.

I guess if Textor is hyper-honest and hyper-straightforward then plain speaking about anything fits that kind of personality type and it’s something we’ll need to get used to.

Tony mate, any player who hears that will think one of three ways.

Great they're gonna start rewarding talent and I'll finally get the chance to get games and show how good I am.

Crap they're gonna bring in someone better than me and I'll be sold or dropped.

Great they're gonna bring in players that can improve the team and I'll get to show how good I can be with better teammates around me.

Of those three answers anyone in category two we shouldn't want anywhere near the club.

And that's the ones who won't be happy hearing this

For me mate it's slightly different.

I think Textor is VERY clued up on what the feeling is around the club.

The Dyche thing seemed like a warning shot across his bow, kinda like 'bs excuses about fans and atmospheres won't wash it's about your own job performance.

Yes, again I agree that would be a reasonable motivation to let Dyche know these things.

I just keep coming back to it not needing to be public.

I guess if Textor is hyper-honest and hyper-straightforward then plain speaking about anything fits that kind of personality type and it’s something we’ll need to get used to.

He's definitely plain speaking mate, see his comments in France and Brazil which got him some negative criticism (but were both absolutely spot on comments)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back