2024/25 Sean Dyche

They would have bricked themselves if our front 3 played in their final third. They’re not good players, but Dyche had no intention of forcing mistakes he was happy to watch Southampton just pass the ball around aimlessly and for us to wait for the odd counter or set piece

Exactly that was the problem, despite we had more chances than them overall...

I don't give a flying monkeys about the possession stats, retaining the ball isn't going to happen with this manager and these players, I care about winning football matches no matter how ugly, that's what we are supposed to do.

And we aren't.

Got to praise all you fellas that went last night. I didn't even switch the telly on and deleted the recording. Liverpool were so good I had to switch that off to. Here's hoping 3 pts from Leicester and 3 from the next home game. I am taking my granddaughter to that one. Hope springs eternal.

I'm a crap supporter, I lashed my season ticket a few years ago but in all honesty are there any match going fans that actually look forward to going to a game with Dyche in charge?

The clubs post match interviewer sounds petrified to ask Dyche any serious questions about current form.

"Sean. You've got 8 injured. 4 ill. We were playing uphill tonight against the wind. I thought we were brilliant. How do you do it Sean. We're so lucky to have you here. Can i polish your shoes before we leave tonight Sean"

Btw Southampton made 10 changes last night.
We put the hard yards in. All in all very pleased with the effort the lads put in especially Ashley for keeping us in the game. Sean.

It doesn't always help you have control of the game. You can have control of a game but not have more possession. Football isn't as black and white as that which is the point I'm trying to make when people keep bringing possession up without any context of a wider game.
No your'e right, it doesn't always give you complete control or guaranteed results, also a decent counter-attacking side with low possession can be successful and entertaining.

The only thing is we are far from both of those, so do we have the players to play that system and should Dyche be trying something else

As said, it's crap, especially the Wolves and Bournemouth results last and this season and at the end of the day a manager should live and die by results no matter who they're against, but it does provide a bit of context.

The run of games we have coming up are the real test of where we are as a side.
Your argument could go the other way also.
4 of our 5 victory's in that time were against sides that finished in the bottom 5 last season.
We also played Luton twice last season and only got a point.

Got to praise all you fellas that went last night. I didn't even switch the telly on and deleted the recording. Liverpool were so good I had to switch that off to. Here's hoping 3 pts from Leicester and 3 from the next home game. I am taking my granddaughter to that one. Hope springs eternal.
Masochists to a man. Turning up at Goodison now is a willful act of self-harm. Unless you are the visiting team.

We had a depleted side last night.

People bang on about possession, but we were playing a team who pass for passing sake. They went to Brentford, Brentford had 37% possession but still beat them 3-1. They went to Newcastle, Newcastle had 22% of possession but Newcastle beat them 1-0. Against Nottingham Forest, Forest had 35% possession.

It was a crap watch, but we still should have won. The fringe players fans have been screaming to be given a chance, just didn't do it. Looking at you, Lindstrom. Looking at you, Beto.

The likes of Mangala rushed in - he had the fewest of touches of any outfield player.

Dixon, as refreshing as it was to see some pace - also lost the most duels on the pitch and to me at least, was walked through repeatedly down that side.

I didn't expect us to beat Spurs Away, or Villa Away.

Brighton are no mugs - Bournemouth was the disappointment.

I shared my view on here we'd be on <3 points prior Leicester. The next two, Leicester A and C.Palace he needs 3/4 points, minimum.

The upcoming fixture list now looks a bit kinder - we need to stay in contention come January and hope ownership is sorted and spend.

Leicester a
Palace h
Newcastle h
Ipswich a
Fulham h
Southampton a
West Ham a
Brentford h

Southampton had a depleted side more than Everton did. They made 10 changes.
The argument about possession would be valid if Everton occasionally won a match. We dont.

Are you seriously comparing playing on the counter against the second best team in the country to playing at home against probably the worst team in the league?

If we can’t exert any degree of control over a game against Southampton then what game can we?

I would wager over the course of a season that there is a big correlation between possession stats and league placement.
I forgot to add but we were 18th (40.8) on average for possession last season but finished on the same points as Brighton who were in 4th (59.8) for average possession.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back