2024/25 Sean Dyche

Who’s saying it is, I’ve said my expectation is 10th - 12th and I stand by that.

There is an assumption we are getting relegated - how many games did we win at this point last season and still earned 48 points. Sorry, no.

This is very much at odds with what @GrandOldTeam is saying, where we should see 17th as an achievement because we’re one of the worst 3 teams in the league.

I’m struggling with the Dyche fans here tbh, I’m getting mixed messages. What is a reasonable expectation for this season? Personally I don’t think it’s unfair to expect 12th because that’s where we finished last season without deductions, and we haven’t weakened the squad over the summer.

Yet, we also went on a run like this.

Swings and roundabouts isn't it?

We earned 48 points last season.

Last season I said that "achievement", all considered, is the most impressive of any Everton manager since Moyes finished 4th.

Hard then to say sack him after 4 games - all 4, the opposition were bookies favourite. 3 of the 4 have been games I've not expected us to get a result.

But, almost amusingly, I'm aware I've said he needs results in the next 2.

Had we lost them 1-0 I’d agree he needs time and he been unlucky but we shipped 13 goals in 4 games, we havnt even played the big boys yet. Is Branthweight going to stop us conceding 3 goals a game, it’s a lot for 1 player, not to mention the goals, 3 back post goals for Bournemouth, Watkins out jumped Keane, free header last night, Vardy hatttick on Saturday

Last season is done and dusted, this season has been an unmitigated disaster.

I would have preferred to get rid last season, but overcoming the points deductions swayed me to think he deserved another go. I think he has well and truly blown that goodwill and we are now just prolonging the inevitable as with Benitez and Lampard.
The club has demonstrated more than any that I can think of over the last few years that it is the worst when it comes to acting decisively when the manager needs replacing. Benitez and Lampard hanging round for so long when they were clearly done was ridiculous. Remember they allowed Benitez to sell Digne, spend money, then sack him.

Lampard getting about 6 extra games came very close to relegating us. A normal club would have a new manager in for Leicester, at worst Baines in temporary charge. But we get Dyche talking about margins after Vardy smokes Keane and Tarkowski repeatedly.

And the worst thing is, I don’t even think that will finish him off. Incompetent FC.

Yet, we also went on a run like this.

Swings and roundabouts isn't it?

We earned 48 points last season.

Last season I said that "achievement", all considered, is the most impressive of any Everton manager since Moyes finished 4th.

Hard then to say sack him after 4 games - all 4, the opposition were bookies favourite. 3 of the 4 have been games I've not expected us to get a result.

But, almost amusingly, I'm aware I've said he needs results in the next 2.

If you stand still in the Premier League you are going backwards.

This is in a season were it took 27 points to stay up, so naturally the sides on that extra step above are going to accumulate more points.

He did well in 2 periods last season (which may happen again in this run of games coming up), but he is never looking to evolve. Himself and Ian Woan constantly go on about what they did at Burnley and how it worked at Burnley, almost 6/7 years ago.

Moyes over his 10 years at the club evolved as a manager and as a coach.

Who’s saying it is, I’ve said my expectation is 10th - 12th and I stand by that.

There is an assumption we are getting relegated - how many games did we win at this point last season and still earned 48 points. Sorry, no.
I would be happy with that
I would be happier if the manager came out and said 'our target this season is 10th-12th because we want to improve on last season' but that is not going to happen. He is happy with lower expectations and fear of relegation.

'Who's saying it is?'
The people who are making the 'assumption we are getting relegated'

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back