2024/25 Sean Dyche

After reading that Opta article yesterday there's a few glaring points...

We're allowing more shots on goal than last season. Transitions are an issue. To me that says the midfield as a whole aren't closing or effective in winning the ball in.

We're also not defending in a low block. Which is bizarre as we've zero pace in the fullbacks and Michael Keane who can only defend in a low block.

We're top 3 for high pressure and winning the ball in the final 3rd. We've been nowhere near clinical with that...then left the door open.

To me that says the midfield aren't closing down as effective.

In my opinion he’s trying to transition it. If you look at the first thing he did when he came in he brought Doucoure in as a hybrid 10/midfielder - meant we often had a man extra an in the centre. Hes tried to move away from that and play with a double pivot, with 4 in front.

I agree I’ve been saying since the season began the back four are playing higher, I suspect thats to support the double pivot. While Tim for what he gives at home, struggles in games were he has to be more disciplined at away. Overall I think we’re a man down in midfield but that’s intended as we try to move on from Doucoure.

Circumstances haven’t helped - the injuries at the back have been rancid and impactful. All fit though do we shore it up, last two games we’ve been far more creative and clinical.

6ft6 O'Brien sits on the bench while Michael Keane is beaten in the air to let Villa back in the game. O'Brien is seemingly 4th choice right back, despite being one of only 3 players we spent money on in the summer. Thelwell must be fed up of Dyche. N'Diaye was benched for the first 2 games, O'Brien for the first 4. Dixon acquitted himself well against Spurs but was dropped as soon as the over 35's were available in Coleman and then Young. He's an absolute fraud.
And selling Godfrey and giving young a contract go ffs

I know we've got fires going on all over the place but centre mid is a problem. Not sure tim and gana can work together.

Garner's been back for 2 games, he should be starting. Think with a midfield 3 we don't concede as easily.

Thinking Dyche ball that would mean Ndiaye being dropped. Reality should be one of McNeill or Harrison.

Issue to me was -
Brighton you take on the chin.
Spurs - gave them 2 goals, game was done.
Bournemouth - play great for 87mins and collapse.

So do you keep with the same way Vs Bournemouth and iron out the mistakes or make huge changes?

Well, he kept it the same and for 30mins worked Vs Villa.

But the bottom line is... we've conceded 13 goals in 4 games. Its not working and needs going back to basics which is...tight and compact.

This fella actually thinks he’s doing a good job. The Moye’s term knife to a gunfight is not such a detrimental statement compared to this managers achievements.

In my opinion he’s trying to transition it. If you look at the first thing he did when he came in he brought Doucoure in as a hybrid 10-midfielder - meant we often had an extra an in the centre. Hes tried to move away from that and play with a double pivot, with 4 in front.

I agree I’ve been saying since the season began the back four are playing higher, I suspect that to support the double pivot. While Tim for what he gives at home, struggles in games were he has to be more disciplined at home. Overall I think we’re a man down in midfield but that’s intended as we try to move on from Doucoure.

Circumstances haven’t helped - the injuries at the back have been rancid and impactful. All fit though do we shore it up, last two games we’ve been far more creative and clinical.
Injuries at the back ? Why the hell play Keane instead of O'Brien and Young instead of anyone?

After reading that Opta article yesterday there's a few glaring points...

We're allowing more shots on goal than last season. Transitions are an issue. To me that says the midfield as a whole aren't closing or effective in winning the ball in.

We're also not defending in a low block. Which is bizarre as we've zero pace in the fullbacks and Michael Keane who can only defend in a low block.

We're top 3 for high pressure and winning the ball in the final 3rd. We've been nowhere near clinical with that...then left the door open.

To me that says the midfield aren't closing down as effective.
Yes, today it was very noticeable that we were neither pressing high or defending deep. The number of times Villa passed the ball twice to get through our 'midfield' and then put a ball through for our speedy defence to 'race' back to try to match their forwards was crazy... I don't actually know what our strategy is, but we're not organised at all.

Nobody seems to know what to do and that is massively evident in both defensive and attacking phases. Midfield is bypassed too easily leaving the frail defence against quick attackers. We generally have little width, relying on Ndiaye and Harrison playing as wingbacks, almost forming 6 at the back, because of this they're not operating in areas where they can cause damage to the opposition. Going forward, we pass back to the keeper in 2 passes instead of looking to get forward.

Overall when you look at the 11 out there today, we are carrying way too many limited players (and have been for years). Tim and Ndaiye apart, most of the players have way more negatives than positives if you were to write a list of attributes or abilities (or lack of).

Sorry for the long post for me, I'm just trying to make sense of the everlasting loop of destruction we seem intent on traveling around.

Garner's been back for 2 games, he should be starting. Think with a midfield 3 we don't concede as easily.

Thinking Dyche ball that would mean Ndiaye being dropped. Reality should be one of McNeill or Harrison.

Issue to me was -

So do you keep with the same way Vs Bournemouth and iron out the mistakes or make huge changes?

But the bottom line is... we've conceded 13 goals in 4 games. Its not working and needs going back to basics which is...tight and compact.
Yeah. I also think both tim and gana have a tendency to hunt the ball and get out of position. Could do with a sitter. Even if we keep playing those two.

Issue to me was -

It didn’t really though. Yes we were 2 up, but it was massively against the run of play and entirely undeserved.

Against Bournemouth we deservedly had the lead.

Parking the bus and conceding 13 goals in 4 games.

And I can just imagine him talking to “Woany” about how we’d be more solid if he took Ndiaye out for another yard dog.

I think our club's future is tied his judgement of players and their abilities. Are they really bad enough to have to play like this? Or do his tactics make them this way?

Carragher was right, we play like a lower league team away in the cup. But do we need to? I can't really decide and I suppose we won't know

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back