Sean Dyche

Would you be happy with Sean Dyche??

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he in the top 10 of world managers? Top 20? Top 50? No so why would you want him here, Kenwright ambitions being shown by some people on here bet you voted for destination Kirkby as well

Nobody starts at the top. perhaps given the opportunity he could be one of those you have mentioned.

Football management is a big con anyway.

My concern with someone like Dyche isn't so much that he's an unfashionable appointment but that his skillset has been very specifically developed and wouldn't really suit our needs.

All credit to him at Burnley - he took them up in his first season (I think?) and then, after an inevitable relegation, he went on to immediately win the Championship, which is a difficult thing to do when you consider the level of motivation he'd have to instil in a squad that had just faced a brutal reality of not being good enough for the PL.

Last season and the start of this he's done well to pull them away from the relegation places. And when he brought Burnley to Goodison a few weeks ago you could see how he's done that: set up your team to neutralise the opposition and hit them on the break. He's shown himself to be good at developing a system that works given the limitations of his squad.

The thing is, this only really needs to work 10-15 times in a season for Burnley because, with the greatest respect, anything above the bottom three is satisfactory for them at the moment.

This shouldn't be what we're looking for in a manager, for many reasons: our squad, uneven as it is, still has too much quality to deploy those sort of tactics; we supposedly have the resources to attract good players; and the stated ambition of the board is to play in the Champion's League. And, more than any of that, we as fans should at least be able to look forward to seeing expansive and exciting football rather than the reactive sort of a side that is primarily looking to avoid defeat. We had that for a large portion of Moyes's tenure and I don't think we need to see it again.

I get the appeal of a 'steady the ship' sort of coach but I don't think it's necessary for us, despite the fact we're in the bottom three. Koeman had a good squad at his disposal but couldn't figure out how to make it work. A talented and ambitious coach, even with the absence of a top striker, should be able to get a winning system in place. Dyche just feels like an unambitious compromise - which is exactly what Koeman felt like 16 months ago.

Is he in the top 10 of world managers? Top 20? Top 50? No so why would you want him here, Kenwright ambitions being shown by some people on here bet you voted for destination Kirkby as well
I voted yes , just because you really don't want him and posted it twice.
Think he could come in and stabilise the club, seems able to set a team up to do a job, bit like Moyes mk2, can he take us to the next level or attracted the players needed to get us there not sure, and its as you say not very ambitious.

I voted yes , just because you really don't want him and posted it twice.
Think he could come in and stabilise the club, seems able to set a team up to do a job, bit like Moyes mk2, can he take us to the next level or attracted the players needed to get us there not sure, and its as you say not very ambitious.
I voted yes.

But I pressed the wrong button.

Dyche is to us what Moyes was to Man Utd when they appointed him. Safe, but dumb and specifically tailored for his own existing team - he has no clue of what awaits him at Everton. We need someone with a lot more of a pedigree.

Personality aside, he's a good manager and would stabilise us at worse. Wether he could take us further, who knows. As long as he didn't bring Chris Wood or any of Burnley with him that would be fine.

We've just bought Burnley's best player! Dyche has had to overcome the sale of players like Ings, Trippier and Keane.

And at least Burnley have a couple of centre forwards. Perhaps they could spare one for us to overcome the sale of Lukaku.

You rarely start at the top

Exceptions would be Zidane and Guardiola obviously, but most of the best managers had to start lower down before bagging a big club

Look at Alex Ferguson. Won the second tier title with St Mirren before going on to conquer the Old Firm as manager of Aberdeen

Dyche could have way more in his locker, and he just needs an up and coming club to realise it

He'd have my backing if he came here. Looks like he'd "get" the club as well, which is a big bonus

My worry would be that he plays a brand of football that's very meat and potato and, if we are to break into the top 4-6 in the next few years, I can't imagine it's going to yield consistent results.

He's also never managed a team that has players of the standard of ours. Yes, of course, they aren't performing but how are they going to react to the no nonsense approach, based on the fact they haven't responded well to Koeman?

I don't think he's an inspiring choice.

If he goes to Leicester or West Ham and does a job at that level, typically the league until the top 7, then i'd definitely pursue him.

For now though just seems too soon for someone who hasn't shown alot of tactical flexibility beyond whether to put one or two brutes up front.

image.webp

What a magnificent looking man. Get him in Mosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back