Sean Dyche

Would you be happy with Sean Dyche??

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's impossible

I refuse to accept that Sean Dyche wasn't born as a 40 year old man, complete with beard
maxresdefault.webp

Burnley fan here, semi in peace.

I’m 38, near 39. Growing up I loved the Hafnia kit you had, I loved Kevin Sheedy, Derek Mountfield and Inchy Heath. I remember Predrag Radosavljevic and Joe Parkinson and Billy Kenny. I’ve always had a soft spot for Everton.

But some of the posts on this thread are delusional, disrespectful and utter tutt to a manager who’s team schooled you on your own pitch and popped 24 passes together before passing it into your net.

Don’t listen to what other managers say about our style. They’re making excuses after we’ve beaten their more expensive styles. Don’t judge Dyche on his shaven head and gravel voice but look at the words he says, what his players say about him.

Dyche is a bloody good manager and what he’s done is a miracle. When we beat you last month Koeman was going on about what we spent, but used your net spend as a comparison against our gross spend, ignoring the near £50 million we took in for Gray and Keane this summer.

Dyche, first and foremostly is a pragmatist. When he took us over he didn’t have a pot to piss in so built a strong defence which got us promoted. We didn’t have a huge budget our first time in the Prem so went with what he knew. We got relegated but came back up as Champions having scored more than anybody in the division. We didn’t steamroller sides playing expansive football but that was because Dyche didn’t want to do major surgery on the team, which proved the right decision after we stayed up last year.

This year we are playing better football. Steven Defour and Jack Cork are working like dogs but have quality on the ball. Some of you will sneer at this because we didn’t pay £45 million for them and Cork is English, but the reality of their performances speak for themselves.

When Dyche has had more resources he has improved the quality of our play. Our defence is incredibly organised and he gets the absolute best out of players, and if he did that with your lot you’d be 10 places higher in the league at least.

He managed Barton better than anybody ever has, plus Steven Defour is a character who was difficult last year but is now playing very well. He absolutely would have the respect of your players.

Talk of Tuchel and Ancelotti is madness. Look at the clubs Ancelotti has managed and then look where you are now ..... and I say that with all due respect. There’s no chance.

And you’d be better going Wagner than Tuchel, who has delusions of grandeur based on not actually that much.

I don’t think Dyche will get your job, and that’s fair enough ..... and obviously great for me as a Burnley fan. But stop this blythe dismissal of his qualities, it’s incredibly ignorant. He’d do a good job for you.
I get what you're saying mate, and to some extent you're right.

I think you're (understandably) taking things to heart though, rather than putting yourself in our place. With all due respect, many Wigan fans came on and told us that Roberto Martinez was the best thing since sliced bread, and that we would just be a stepping stone on his way to the Barcelona job - he was absolutely clueless though. This is someone who had genuinely schooled us on our own patch, handing us our arses with a 3-0 shellacking when we were actually pretty good, rather than a 1-0 win against a side which is basically losing to everyone. You'll forgive us for being wary.

It should also be pointed out that you probably would have said the same to us about Michael Keane in the summer. Since coming in he has looked out of his depth, and frankly looks terrified at the level of expectation and demand at this club. I'm sure he will come good when he gets his head around the step up, but we don't have time to allow a manager to do the same.

I'm not totally against Dyche, but there are reasons for our concerns, and you shouldn't see them as disrespectful.

My concern with someone like Dyche isn't so much that he's an unfashionable appointment but that his skillset has been very specifically developed and wouldn't really suit our needs.

All credit to him at Burnley - he took them up in his first season (I think?) and then, after an inevitable relegation, he went on to immediately win the Championship, which is a difficult thing to do when you consider the level of motivation he'd have to instil in a squad that had just faced a brutal reality of not being good enough for the PL.

Last season and the start of this he's done well to pull them away from the relegation places. And when he brought Burnley to Goodison a few weeks ago you could see how he's done that: set up your team to neutralise the opposition and hit them on the break. He's shown himself to be good at developing a system that works given the limitations of his squad.

The thing is, this only really needs to work 10-15 times in a season for Burnley because, with the greatest respect, anything above the bottom three is satisfactory for them at the moment.

This shouldn't be what we're looking for in a manager, for many reasons: our squad, uneven as it is, still has too much quality to deploy those sort of tactics; we supposedly have the resources to attract good players; and the stated ambition of the board is to play in the Champion's League. And, more than any of that, we as fans should at least be able to look forward to seeing expansive and exciting football rather than the reactive sort of a side that is primarily looking to avoid defeat. We had that for a large portion of Moyes's tenure and I don't think we need to see it again.

I get the appeal of a 'steady the ship' sort of coach but I don't think it's necessary for us, despite the fact we're in the bottom three. Koeman had a good squad at his disposal but couldn't figure out how to make it work. A talented and ambitious coach, even with the absence of a top striker, should be able to get a winning system in place. Dyche just feels like an unambitious compromise - which is exactly what Koeman felt like 16 months ago.

spot on

It should also be pointed out that you probably would have said the same to us about Michael Keane in the summer. Since coming in he has looked out of his depth, and frankly looks terrified at the level of expectation and demand at this club.

So has everyone this season. Keane is a very good player, but our problems are morale and organisation, no centre half would stand out in the same situation

The other thing as well, before I outstay my welcome and you tell me to do one.

All this talk of him being able to attract new players ....... does Everton really need more new players right now? You signed loads this summer and half your lot won’t even know each other yet, the last thing you need is chucking a load more into the mix.

You have a good keeper. You won’t believe me but Keane is a great defender. Schneiderlin, Klaassen, Gylfi haven’t all become bad players overnight. Lookman, Calvert-Lewin, Holgate and Kenny are all very promising. The basis of a good side is there, they just aren’t being managed properly .... and Dyche will do that.

We signed Defour last season, and whilstbthat might not mean much to you it was a big deal to us. Belgian international, a bit of pedigree, a “name player” by our standards. He showed glimpses of real quality on the ball but he wasn’t fit enough for our style so Dyche stopped playing him. He’s come back, done a proper pre-season with us and now he’s running more than most and still has that quality.

We didn’t bin him off after 3 months. We didn’t buy another player to replace him. We made him better. I look at Klaassen being written off by you lot after 10 games and just laugh.

More players is not always the answer.

Burnley fan here, semi in peace.

I’m 38, near 39. Growing up I loved the Hafnia kit you had, I loved Kevin Sheedy, Derek Mountfield and Inchy Heath. I remember Predrag Radosavljevic and Joe Parkinson and Billy Kenny. I’ve always had a soft spot for Everton.

But some of the posts on this thread are delusional, disrespectful and utter tutt to a manager who’s team schooled you on your own pitch and popped 24 passes together before passing it into your net.

Don’t listen to what other managers say about our style. They’re making excuses after we’ve beaten their more expensive styles. Don’t judge Dyche on his shaven head and gravel voice but look at the words he says, what his players say about him.

Dyche is a bloody good manager and what he’s done is a miracle. When we beat you last month Koeman was going on about what we spent, but used your net spend as a comparison against our gross spend, ignoring the near £50 million we took in for Gray and Keane this summer.

Dyche, first and foremostly is a pragmatist. When he took us over he didn’t have a pot to piss in so built a strong defence which got us promoted. We didn’t have a huge budget our first time in the Prem so went with what he knew. We got relegated but came back up as Champions having scored more than anybody in the division. We didn’t steamroller sides playing expansive football but that was because Dyche didn’t want to do major surgery on the team, which proved the right decision after we stayed up last year.

This year we are playing better football. Steven Defour and Jack Cork are working like dogs but have quality on the ball. Some of you will sneer at this because we didn’t pay £45 million for them and Cork is English, but the reality of their performances speak for themselves.

When Dyche has had more resources he has improved the quality of our play. Our defence is incredibly organised and he gets the absolute best out of players, and if he did that with your lot you’d be 10 places higher in the league at least.

He managed Barton better than anybody ever has, plus Steven Defour is a character who was difficult last year but is now playing very well. He absolutely would have the respect of your players.

Talk of Tuchel and Ancelotti is madness. Look at the clubs Ancelotti has managed and then look where you are now ..... and I say that with all due respect. There’s no chance.

And you’d be better going Wagner than Tuchel, who has delusions of grandeur based on not actually that much.

I don’t think Dyche will get your job, and that’s fair enough ..... and obviously great for me as a Burnley fan. But stop this blythe dismissal of his qualities, it’s incredibly ignorant. He’d do a good job for you.

Thanks for your post mate. Dyche is a very good manager and deserves an opportunity at a top club.

That being said I think the most important you say is "where you are now" about Ancelotti. We are in a false position having like yourselves played the best 5 teams in the league. We don't really know how much money there is behind the scenes and if/when further investment will come and how it will look. There are strong rumours of big Russian investment coming on board (putting us second to City in resources available) and this would certainly look to be the case if they could attract Ancelotti.

In essence what I'm saying is this is not a club who are likely relegation strugglers. We could still go down of course, but as a club this is a different to even two years ago, though at present there is a confusion of how different.

Dyche is therefore a risk. He is very adept at moving a club from 18th to 10th whereas we are likely looking for someone to love us from 7th to 4th. There's nothing to say Dyche can't do that, his method is very similar to Pochetino (he just doesn't have Kane, Alli and Eriksen!).

He's not my number one pick but most Evertonians know what a fantastic job he has done at Burnley and we all said how you outplayed us the other week. Cork looks a really good player as well and for my money should be getting a England call up!

Like dyche, good man and a good manager, but not the manager we need if we have any ambition to break into the top 6, he'll come and sort the defence out and move us up the table, but will he set up to beat the teams we want to challenge with? I don't think he will so a deffo no for me

So has everyone this season. Keane is a very good player, but our problems are morale and organisation, no centre half would stand out in the same situation
I'm not saying they would, but I honestly think Keane has struggled with the step up to a club with higher expectations. He looks shellshocked at times, and is one who has looked nervy when the crowd has got restless. Pickford has thrived with the added expectation, Keane has wilted. As I said in the original post, I know he's a good player, and I agree that he will improve, but I don't agree that his struggles are solely down to others.

I get what you're saying mate, and to some extent you're right.

I think you're (understandably) taking things to heart though, rather than putting yourself in our place. With all due respect, many Wigan fans came on and told us that Roberto Martinez was the best thing since sliced bread, and that we would just be a stepping stone on his way to the Barcelona job - he was absolutely clueless though. This is someone who had genuinely schooled us on our own patch, handing us our arses with a 3-0 shellacking when we were actually pretty good, rather than a 1-0 win against a side which is basically losing to everyone. You'll forgive us for being wary.

It should also be pointed out that you probably would have said the same to us about Michael Keane in the summer. Since coming in he has looked out of his depth, and frankly looks terrified at the level of expectation and demand at this club. I'm sure he will come good when he gets his head around the step up, but we don't have time to allow a manager to do the same.

I'm not totally against Dyche, but there are reasons for our concerns, and you shouldn't see them as disrespectful.

I take your point about Keane, but in response i’d say that he looks terrified because there are gaps all around him and he doesn’t know from one week to the next whether you’re playing 3 or 4 at the back and who his right back is going to be.

At Burnley when the opposition had the ball he knew Ben Mee was 10 yards to his left, Matt Lawton was 10 yards to his right, our wingers were tucked in and his central midfielders were sat in front of him. No space, no people being pulled about, organised, organised, organised.

To go from that to a revolving door defence with Cuco Martina to your right would destroy the best of them.

Last edited:
Some of the comments in here on this fella are hilarious !

Burnley are a hard working side give him credit for that but their game plan is park the bus and get a lucky goal or catch a team on a off day that kind of luck can't continue they will soon be struggling ,been there and done that under Moyes

defo a no vote for me

So basically the working man's choice? Sound. Bin those frappuccino drinking, Ode to Joy loving, continental types then. At least I can pronounce Dyche.

*Waves Union Jack*
true working men aren't brexit Ad, only bad little england sell outs, plus think of the players, having to look at dyches hairy shoulders after a game, or listening to sultry tones of the beautiful fonseca

I also take the point about style of play.

I personally think he does that at Burnley because he has to. His year at Watford they played 433 and we’re switching this year between 442, 4411 and 451. We’re not the prettiest to watch, I agree, but we’re better than we were.

The thing with us is that we have to take baby steps because we’re tiny compared to Everton. Dyche has admitted frustrations at Burnley but he goes with it because that’s our best option ..... back to that pragmatism.

I get that you don’t want a Moyes again. I don’t think Dyche is that though, I think he’s got a lot more about him.

Anyway .... i’ll leave you to it now. Best of luck this season and all others, proper club Everton and it’s been starved of success too long.

oh yes, if only to read @chicoazul previews on a Friday evening, he'd have a field day !.

I will just mention Howard came from Blackburn Rovers and If i'm right , they were a 3rd division side at the time. we do get carried away with big named managers, and ex players who have never managed any club.

I like to see managers who have served an apprentice and learned the trade as a manager coming into the club,I don't overly care from which division they come from, it seems man management is huge in the job, and our two previous have clearly not been great at that.
Dyche has those boxes ticked, so I think he should be in the reckoning at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back