Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Semifinals: Croatia vs England

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
To a point I think that article is fair comment when it's highlighting the swirl of media BS surrounding England and Southgate in particular. What I would criticise it on though is the complete denial that a SF berth was worthless if you didn't play Argentina, Spain, Germany etc along the way. Yes England had an easy draw (made easier, as he says, by an act of surrendering a match to Belgium). However, lower rankings of opponents dont factor in that world cup matches are very strange and unpredictable affairs, and to navigate through any round is an achievement - of sorts at any rate.

For all the praise being heaped on Southgate by Shearer, Neville, Hoddle and the rest right now, would one of them seriously put his name forward the Chelsea job :)

Not on yer nelly :pint2:

Hoddle in particular.....he was scathing of Evertonians for wanting rid of Allardyce.

Let’s see him sing the praises of another “British” manager for one his pet clubs.

For all the praise being heaped on Southgate by Shearer, Neville, Hoddle and the rest right now, would one of them seriously put his name forward the Chelsea job :)

Hoddle in particular.....he was scathing of Evertonians for wanting rid of Allardyce.

Let’s see him sing the praises of another “British” manager for one his pet clubs.

Sometimes a manager fits a national side. Coleman with Wales springs to mind, and I think its similar with Southgate. He has been very involved with the whole FA youth/St Georges Park project, which many of his England squad have progressed through for ages, and his methods at England seem to be working, for now anyrate.

Club management, imo, isnt his forte.

I long been an admirer of Hoddle's approach to football, but it was hammered home to me how elitist he is by those comments he made about Allardyce/Everton. His attitude was that it was ok for us to have Sam Allardyce because we aren't fighting it out at the top of the table.

I had thought he was an evangelist for football as it should be played. Clearly that was a wrong assessment and he sees football as a game to be played only by clubs sitting on top of the league table regularly and the rest its ok to be happy with safe, unimaginative football. Let's see what he says about us this season if Silva has him purring in commentary.

I long been an admirer of Hoddle's approach to football, but it was hammered home to me how elitist he is by those comments he made about Allardyce/Everton. His attitude was that it was ok for us to have Sam Allardyce because we aren't fighting it out at the top of the table.

I had thought he was an evangelist for football as it should be played. Clearly that was a wrong assessment and he sees football as a game to be played only by clubs sitting on top of the league table regularly and the rest its ok to be happy with safe, unimaginative football. Let's see what he says about us this season if Silva has him purring in commentary.

After his comments about disabled people all those years ago, Hoddle should have been barred for life from any form of employment, paid or otherwise involving football or any other sport.

Great footballer, but a disgusting human being.

It winds me up no end, the way he`s weaselled his way back into punditry.

Ron Atkinson was rightly finished after what he said.

What Hoddle said was just as bad, but because he`s the great Glen Hoddle and not Big Ron from the Swan, it`s been swept under the carpet.

I thought what Hoddle said was way worse.

He was speaking from a deeply held relgious point of view.

And nowt scares me more than righteous religious nutz :(

After his comments about disabled people all those years ago, Hoddle should have been barred for life from any form of employment, paid or otherwise involving football or any other sport.

Great footballer, but a disgusting human being.

Didn't he explain that?

People, rightly, cringe at that 'I believe that we will win' crap my countrymen adopted at the last world cup. Utterly cringeworthy.

This 'It's coming home' crap is equally cringey/vomit inducing for me.
Do you really think that they all really mean it? It’s just a song.

Do you really think that Everton fans reallly think that ‘we’re the greatest team, the world has ever seen’? It’s just a song.

Do you really think that US golf fans mean it when they shout ‘get in the hole’ when a golfer hits a drive on a 600 yard par 5. They don’t. They just shout it because they think it’s funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back