Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Should Martinez be sacked? (Post-Hull poll)

Should Martinez be sacked

• Yes

Votes: 294 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 509 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The absolute earliest moment dismissal should even be considered is if we slip into the relegation zone and it appears evident he can't turn things around. I seriously doubt it will come to that extreme hypothetical.

If we finish 17th and trophyless this season I still wouldn't sack him. If we're in the same position in 12 months time perhaps things might change.

The absolute earliest moment dismissal should even be considered is if we slip into the relegation zone and it appears evident he can't turn things around. I seriously doubt it will come to that extreme hypothetical.

If we finish 17th and trophyless this season I still wouldn't sack him. If we're in the same position in 12 months time perhaps things might change.

I could live with 17th and trophyless.

If I'm honest with you, I would probably take that at the moment :(

I would only keep Roberto on, however, if there is a realisation on his behalf that EFC is not a vehicle for him to manage Barcelona lite.

In short, I personally need to see a less dogmatic approach to the game from him.

Give him until the derby, if we lose that havnig lost to west ham and city then he has to go
West Brom comes before the RS and is considerably more important. Lose that and he's gone. Leaving it to the next derby defeat would serve no purpose whatsoever. In fact it would give a new manager almost a fortnight to put his plans into shape at FF. Shades of the Royle takeover in 1994.

Unbelievable this post. Unlikely, but we could be in the bottom 3 by the end of the month. But the 'relegation zone' extends above the bottom 3 - and we're in it already and it is already 'evident he can't turn things round'! And as for keeping him into next season even if we finish 17th, well that would mean we'd have averaged a point a game over the remaining 18 games. No Board (even ours) in the most competitive, money driven league in the world would be willing to carry on without change into the following season having evidenced such an appalling season.

ad
I want Roberto to stay but I think it is fast coming to the point where the situation will have to be reviewed on a match by match basis.

If this rot continues for another half dozen games then it really will be crunch time.

We might not be able to afford the luxury of waiting until the end of the season.

Certainly if the worst comes to the worst, I for one would not expect Bobby to still be in charge the day the trap door opens.

A change would have had to have been made before that, when things were going from bad to even worse....otherwise we are going to go down without a fight, playing lacklustre, passionless crab ball.

The type of football, BTW, which will not bring you back up from the Championship especially as all the better younger players will ship out in the summer.

Because it is not the results which are scaring me as much as the seemingly fanatical belief that football must only be played one way and that it is better to lose playing that way than rolling your sleeves up and grinding out ugly wins.

What we are doing now palpably isn't working.

A change has got to come on the field and it needs to come quickly.

And if it doesn't, then a change will need to be made off the field, IMO.

I agree that things are working and that moment, and that we need to sort it out asap. I just think that, in addition to the positive stuff that can be done, things sometimes change for no discernible reason (some random backpass in a league cup match, a tackle that riles the crowd, an injury that gives someone a chance), and that sacking a manager is a nuclear option that should be held in reserve (though never discounted). There's absolutely no guarantee that it will make things better. History shows that. Cardiff, Fulham, Blackburn come easily to mind.

I think the reason why we can think of ourselves as top 8 side is because we didn't sack Moyes at time when he could easily have gone, and we reaped the benefits of that stability (of course, nothing meaningful is ever uncontested and some would still insist Moyes should have gone earlier....but let a hundred flowers bloom).

We talk of the next 5 games, which on paper could be very hard and yield very little in points. But after them It is Leicester so shuld have a win there but for me what is worrying w have 2 away games together, Arsenal and Stoke. Taking these into account we have a pretty tough 8 games coming. To be inthe relegation fight would also mean those teams below getting results and catching us up which one has to admit has been happening.

It is not easy to look at these and say at what point a manger should be asked to resign. This will be for the Board to determine.

Good post. Pretty much my position.

Actually, we also lost four on the bounce under Moyes. And we finished a season one place above the relegatio
n places. So it's not like having a mini-crisis in a season is some kind of new thing that only Martinez is guilty of. It happens to most teams at some point, outside the mega-money sides who are in a special category. One of Martinez's problems is that he raised expectations so much with last season, so now some people like to think of Everton as a top-four challenger, with anything less a failure. But the plain truth is (with the exception of 2004-5 and last season), since the inception of the Premier League, we have not been a top four team. We've been an upper-mid table side. I wish we weren't but it takes money, and Martinez has had to rely on sales and wheeler-dealing just Moyes did to progress the squad (with the exception of Lukaku, though he's funded like multiple lower-priced signings).
Viewed in that light, are we so far from the ordinary cycle of ups and downs that come in a season? I'm not so sure. Sure, it's bad. It might get worse. And no one is immune from criticism. But it's not like the present predicament is some kind of unknown hell, that requires a special kind of indignation.
I say give Martinez to the end of the season and then review things.

'I'm sorry to say again it's moyseh'

in all seriousness...

moyes lost 4 in a row 9 years ago am i right? i think it was 28th December 2005

lets face it most crap sides lose 4 games in a row quite easily in the prem.

in 2000-2001 we finished 16th
in 2001-2002 we finished 15th
in 2002-2003 we finished 7th
in 2003-2004 we finished 17th
in 2004-2005 we finished 4th

finally in the year where we lost 4 in a row we finished 11th

since then we have spent 15 million on a midfielder and 28 million on a striker and in the last 5 years our positions have been

in 2013-2014 we finished 5th
in 2012-2013 we finished 6th
in 2011-2012 we finished 7th
in 2010-2011 we finished 7th
in 2009-2010 we finished 8th
and finally in 2008-2009 we finished 5th

in fact the last time we even finished in the bottom half of the table was 9 years ago

we currently sit 13th , 6 points off 10th place newcastle

your saying well moyes lost 4 in a row so people should give martinez a chance

your clearly missing the point, moyes finished 4th the season before, an absolute miracle, he could [Poor language removed] in kenwright's cereal and fart in his missus' face and lose as many games as he wants he still wouldn't get sacked on the back of that achievement

martinez finished his first season in charge as expected, he achieved a top 6 spot and qualified for europe which is expected, anything less would be a failure considering the above.

to allow martinez a chance could send us backwards for the next 10 years and undo all the good work moyes and co done.

you may criticise spurs, or chelsea, or man city or liverpool for sacking their managers for 1 bad season, but hey there's a reason they are constatntly in the top 5-6 every year most of the time, because they stop the rot before it causes even more damage.

we could learn a thing or two about being ruthless. Why should a current successful everton side allow a person who has spent 28 million on a striker a chance to redeem himself? most clubs wouldn't if he has flopped like he has.

the mentality these days is atrocious. Its more like a 'well give a good shot and hopefully we can have a good season love', wheres the warrior mentality, where the passion and dedication of lets do these in boys, lets smash them off the park, the mentality that chelsea and city possess.

We are no longer the prem league's whipping boys that we were 14-15 years ago yet we seem to have that mentality now and martinez is the cause of it and something needs to be done about it before we end up becoming the next leeds, or the next sheffield united. or the next nottingham forest.

'I'm sorry to say again it's moyseh'

in all seriousness...

moyes lost 4 in a row 9 years ago am i right? i think it was 28th December 2005

lets face it most crap sides lose 4 games in a row quite easily in the prem.

in 2000-2001 we finished 16th
in 2001-2002 we finished 15th
in 2002-2003 we finished 7th
in 2003-2004 we finished 17th
in 2004-2005 we finished 4th

finally in the year where we lost 4 in a row we finished 11th

since then we have spent 15 million on a midfielder and 28 million on a striker and in the last 5 years our positions have been

in 2013-2014 we finished 5th
in 2012-2013 we finished 6th
in 2011-2012 we finished 7th
in 2010-2011 we finished 7th
in 2009-2010 we finished 8th
and finally in 2008-2009 we finished 5th

in fact the last time we even finished in the bottom half of the table was 9 years ago

we currently sit 13th , 6 points off 10th place newcastle

your saying well moyes lost 4 in a row so people should give martinez a chance

your clearly missing the point, moyes finished 4th the season before, an absolute miracle, he could [Poor language removed] in kenwright's cereal and fart in his missus' face and lose as many games as he wants he still wouldn't get sacked on the back of that achievement

martinez finished his first season in charge as expected, he achieved a top 6 spot and qualified for europe which is expected, anything less would be a failure considering the above.

to allow martinez a chance could send us backwards for the next 10 years and undo all the good work moyes and co done.

you may criticise spurs, or chelsea, or man city or liverpool for sacking their managers for 1 bad season, but hey there's a reason they are constatntly in the top 5-6 every year most of the time, because they stop the rot before it causes even more damage.

we could learn a thing or two about being ruthless. Why should a current successful everton side allow a person who has spent 28 million on a striker a chance to redeem himself? most clubs wouldn't if he has flopped like he has.

the mentality these days is atrocious. Its more like a 'well give a good shot and hopefully we can have a good season love', wheres the warrior mentality, where the passion and dedication of lets do these in boys, lets smash them off the park, the mentality that chelsea and city possess.

We are no longer the prem league's whipping boys that we were 14-15 years ago yet we seem to have that mentality now and martinez is the cause of it and something needs to be done about it before we end up becoming the next leeds, or the next sheffield united. or the next nottingham forest.

Think it's more to do with money personally. You can near enough put the top into wealth order most seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back