Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Should Martinez be sacked? (Post-Hull poll)

Should Martinez be sacked

• Yes

Votes: 294 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 509 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
January 31st

By then we'll have played: West Ham (home, FA Cup), Man City (home), West Brom (home) and Palace (away) plus any possible further FA Cup ties. If we're still deep in the mire after the Palace game then there's no future in debating this. There are 3 opportunities in those 4 games (losing to City with some measure of pride and effort would be acceptable). The game on Tuesday is fairly pivotal to the state of mind of the manager and the players - lose this one and it looks like it may all come crashing down. Get a win or a replay and it's a stay of execution. Get nothing much (lose or draw) against a battling Albion and then fail to beat (presumably an equally battling) Palace and there's nowhere to hide. With games against Liverpool and Chelsea to follow it would be quite likely we would be on the precipice of the bottom 3 come mid February.

So, in summary - for me he's got until the end of January to turn things around.

January 31st

By then we'll have played: West Ham (home, FA Cup), Man City (home), West Brom (home) and Palace (away) plus any possible further FA Cup ties. If we're still deep in the mire after the Palace game then there's no future in debating this. There are 3 opportunities in those 4 games (losing to City with some measure of pride and effort would be acceptable). The game on Tuesday is fairly pivotal to the state of mind of the manager and the players - lose this one and it looks like it may all come crashing down. Get a win or a replay and it's a stay of execution. Get nothing much (lose or draw) against a battling Albion and then fail to beat (presumably an equally battling) Palace and there's nowhere to hide. With games against Liverpool and Chelsea to follow it would be quite likely we would be on the precipice of the bottom 3 come mid February.

So, in summary - for me he's got until the end of January to turn things around.

Can't argue with that summary mate.

January 31st

Martinez is lucky he has a chairman like Bill.
Almost all other prem boardrooms would have looked at the current situation, the performances, his signings, and the next 2 league fixtures against the back drop of the Jan window. They would probably ( based on current performance ) foresee us getting nothing v city, 0/1 POINT v West Brom (new manager bounce) and seeing us in bottom 3 perhaps with only a week left in the window - If we had a 'chief exec' type chairman he would have ben gone after Hull.

January 31st

That's a realistic timeframe. I hope he turns it around, I really do.

But what I've seen with my own eyes does not suggest that he will.

Would be delighted to be wrong like, despite certain posters making this a black v white argument. We all (well nearly all) want him to succeed.

I honestly don't think he should be sacked. I no he should rectify the problem if certain players are not playing for him ie dropping players ect but as well as that if he does what will everyone be saying then.
I do think he is the right man for the job and would hate to see him leave us or get sacked because I no his football will be successful. I don't think he will be sacked I could see him resigning before I could see him been sacked
A few years ago moyes finished 17th with us done great the following year you will see we will come good we just need to work on certain aspects of our play ie if your in the oppositions half with 7 off your team mates with you don't turn around and pass back to your keeper keep attacking we need to get rid off that bainesy needs to get more forward as does Coleman and get the assists and crosses like previous seasons we are missing baines crosses a saying don't try fix something that's not broke let baines do what he is class at.
We need Rw and Lw cover for mirallas mcgeadys not good enough send atsu back get CB in plus GK maybe cm get rid off dead ends like Gibson osman bench Naismith technicaly not good enough a work horse tho in my defence .
As you please :-)

the real question is why shouldn't martinez be sacked

is 21 points from 20 games an acceptable return for a man who has been given more money to spend than moyes and signed our most expensive player...a striker yet he is failing to score consistently.

is it acceptable to lose 4 games in a row in the league

is it acceptable that we have gone from a team who beat hull 2-0 last season to a team who lost 2-0 to them this season

is it acceptable that we couldn't beat a recently promoted leicester city on the first day of the season given that their biggest signing of the season was a brighton player

is it acceptable that we blew a 2-0 lead against arsenal with 10 minutes to play

is it acceptable that we conceded 6 goals at home to chelsea

is it acceptable to lose at home to crystal palace, a team who are so bad they have just sacked their manager

is it acceptable that we had no fight in our carling cup match against swansea and got raped 3-0 without swansea even moving out of 2nd gear

is it acceptable that we performed like we didn't even care about the derby and that a last minute thunderbolt strike by jagielka in an otherwise uneventful derby saved his butt

is it acceptable that up until the penalty we had failed to register a single attempt at goal against a poor united side at old trafford in the first half which was emphasised by baines penalty miss.

is it acceptable that we failed to score at home against swansea?

is it acceptable that we couldn't salvage anything against tottenham despite taking the lead?

is it acceptable that we could only draw at home to hull?

is it acceptable that we capitulated and crumbled against southampton and let them bum us to victory?

is it acceptable to have only scored in 2 out of the last 7 games?

is it acceptable to lose at home to stoke?

is it acceptable to lose against newcastle after taking the lead?

is it acceptable for us to have the second worst defence in the league?

is it acceptable that we have scored the same amount of goals as spurs who are 5th yet we are 13th and yet are 13 points behind them?

answer me this...

moyes was particularly painful to watch at time, but he did not let us rot, we may have lost 2-0 to man utd one week but would follow it up with a 2-1 win against a fulham or a norwich the following week.

I've just got newfound optimism that we'll come out guns blazing against West Ham and Lukaku will get a hat-trick.

But don't worry, I'm going to sleep soon and I'll wake up as per.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back