Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Should Martinez be sacked? (Post-Hull poll)

Should Martinez be sacked

• Yes

Votes: 294 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 509 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
'I'm sorry to say again it's moyseh'

in all seriousness...

moyes lost 4 in a row 9 years ago am i right? i think it was 28th December 2005

lets face it most crap sides lose 4 games in a row quite easily in the prem.

in 2000-2001 we finished 16th
in 2001-2002 we finished 15th
in 2002-2003 we finished 7th
in 2003-2004 we finished 17th
in 2004-2005 we finished 4th

finally in the year where we lost 4 in a row we finished 11th

since then we have spent 15 million on a midfielder and 28 million on a striker and in the last 5 years our positions have been

in 2013-2014 we finished 5th
in 2012-2013 we finished 6th
in 2011-2012 we finished 7th
in 2010-2011 we finished 7th
in 2009-2010 we finished 8th
and finally in 2008-2009 we finished 5th

in fact the last time we even finished in the bottom half of the table was 9 years ago

we currently sit 13th , 6 points off 10th place newcastle

your saying well moyes lost 4 in a row so people should give martinez a chance

your clearly missing the point, moyes finished 4th the season before, an absolute miracle, he could [Poor language removed] in kenwright's cereal and fart in his missus' face and lose as many games as he wants he still wouldn't get sacked on the back of that achievement

martinez finished his first season in charge as expected, he achieved a top 6 spot and qualified for europe which is expected, anything less would be a failure considering the above.

to allow martinez a chance could send us backwards for the next 10 years and undo all the good work moyes and co done.

you may criticise spurs, or chelsea, or man city or liverpool for sacking their managers for 1 bad season, but hey there's a reason they are constatntly in the top 5-6 every year most of the time, because they stop the rot before it causes even more damage.

we could learn a thing or two about being ruthless. Why should a current successful everton side allow a person who has spent 28 million on a striker a chance to redeem himself? most clubs wouldn't if he has flopped like he has.

the mentality these days is atrocious. Its more like a 'well give a good shot and hopefully we can have a good season love', wheres the warrior mentality, where the passion and dedication of lets do these in boys, lets smash them off the park, the mentality that chelsea and city possess.

We are no longer the prem league's whipping boys that we were 14-15 years ago yet we seem to have that mentality now and martinez is the cause of it and something needs to be done about it before we end up becoming the next leeds, or the next sheffield united. or the next nottingham forest.

I take your point, but my thought is that it's because we didn't sack Moyes when we were, as you point out, not very good, that we became established more as a top eight team, as you point out. You could argue that we're still a top-8 team, despite the recent, serious problems. What we're not, historically in the PL, is a top four team, so if there was negativity directed towards Martinez for not finishing in the top four, then he's a victim of his own success.

"to allow martinez a chance could send us backwards for the next 10 years and undo all the good work moyes and co done."

Our lack of defensive intensity, throughout the team, is a real worry. It 's needs to be sorted out. But do you really believe this? Giving Martinez a chance last season to undo all the good work Moyes had done resulted in better results that Moyes achieved (by and large). Does a poor run of form weigh more that an entire season?
I'd say the jury's still out, because Martinez feels like a manager hungry to learn about the game, not one who's just standing still. He deserves the chance to figure out what's wrong. If he consistently shows he can't rethink the defensive side of his game then fair enough. But, for me at least, we're not there yet.

Finally, as for changing the manager every year...I'd say the examples you give - Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea - serve my argument too. It didn't do them a lot of good - Spurs have been the poster boy for churning managers, splashing cash, and getting little in return. Money has kept these sides in the top 5, not some new messiah manager. I still remember being excited by the possible arrival of Mike Walker.

. Robles
Coleman. Stones. Jags. Baines
Mirallas. Besic. Barry. Oviedo
Lukaku. Etoo

Team vs West Ham
Subs barkley for barry/besic
Naismith for etoo
Kone for lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back