Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Should Martinez be sacked? (Post-Hull poll)

Should Martinez be sacked

• Yes

Votes: 294 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 509 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
question of interest. if Martinez won us both europa and FA Cup this season but also got us relegated, would people still want him sacked?

would kind of give the impression we're a cup team like, but if mid-table finishes but constantly in europe and winning things is bad, then fair enough.

if your answer is no, would winning one of them and getting relegated deserve sacking?

i'm not really sure what my answer is, but tbh, if he won us a trophy but got us relegated, i'd possibly take it. The reality is, we'd win the championship with ease and bounce straight back up anyway so that would be another trophy, so it would only be one season away from the prem.

In a word Yes. It could be damn hard if nigh impossible for many years to get back into the PL.

question of interest. if Martinez won us both europa and FA Cup this season but also got us relegated, would people still want him sacked?

would kind of give the impression we're a cup team like, but if mid-table finishes but constantly in europe and winning things is bad, then fair enough.

if your answer is no, would winning one of them and getting relegated deserve sacking?

i'm not really sure what my answer is, but tbh, if he won us a trophy but got us relegated, i'd possibly take it. The reality is, we'd win the championship with ease and bounce straight back up anyway so that would be another trophy, so it would only be one season away from the prem.

I know what your saying mate but reality is we are Everton football club and we don't do relegation. The championship and lower leagues are for small clubs, yo yo clubs. We should be winning trophies and finishing in respectable league positions but for whatever reason the players have downed tools and are refusing to earn their wage currently.

Do another poll after the Citch game. Will be interesting.

I've got that down as a 0 pointer so don't see it making any difference. After WBA would be interesting.

Looking at the next 5 games: If we took 7 points from them would you be happy? Oh, that is aimed at the forum not just you hktoffee.

The championship is a tough league to get out of. It's full of ex prem teams who thought they could boucne straight back up.

If we can underperform enough to get relegated with this team (and we won't, we shouldn't be anywhere near that), we can certainly underperform enough not to get promoted again, too.

Like yeah we're good enough to win it but also we're good enough to finish 4th in the prem. If we've finished 18th, things already aren't going to plan.

If we got relegated Martinez should be thrown in a cage outside St George's Hall so we can all hurl abuse and other objects at him.

We won't be relgated though

Our best players would potentially leave. Don't underestimate the quality and the fight of the championship. Most relegated teams don't bounce straight back up. Some established top flight teams haven't got back since being relegated. For a trophy? No way.

In a word Yes. It could be damn hard if nigh impossible for many years to get back into the PL.

Yeah but you don't sack someone as a punishment. You do it to bring in someone better. If we go down, would be be able to find a manager who'd cope with the championship better than martinez?

It's a moot point anyway, because a) it won't happen and b) we know what happens when martinez wins a tropy and gets relegated, he pisses off to another top flight team.

I was going to wait until the final whistle out of respect, but what's the point in that?

QPR, Hull, West Brom, Palace, Burnley and Leicester have all gained points on us today.

Elsewhere, Sunderland were 2-0 down away to Man City but showed the sort of fight required in a battle to level the game 2-2.

Oh, and Burnley have come from behind THREE TIMES at Newcastle, where we were recently well beaten.

If you still think for a second that we can't be dragged into the relegation mix, please wake up.

I voted No.

We're not too big, or too good to be dragged into the relegation battle, but it's too soon to sack the manager.

Qualifying for Europe from our league position is pretty much a pipedream now so we need to step back a bit and keep things in perspective. If, come mid-March, we're stuck in a relegation battle, then's the time to seriously think about changing the manager.

I was going to wait until the final whistle out of respect, but what's the point in that?

QPR, Hull, West Brom, Palace, Burnley and Leicester have all gained points on us today.

Elsewhere, Sunderland were 2-0 down away to Man City but showed the sort of fight required in a battle to level the game 2-2.

Oh, and Burnley have come from behind THREE TIMES at Newcastle, where we were recently well beaten.

If you still think for a second that we can't be dragged into the relegation mix, please wake up.

We've already been dragged into the relegation mix.

Or maybe he was just making knee jerk and ill thought out changes without ensuring that the players understood exactly what he was asking of them

We've got quite a few players who are underperforming, so he had to change things round. I think that the goals against Newcastle were largely down to individual errors.

We should have cut out the cross that led to Cisse's goal and tracked the runner to see the ball out of play. We should have cleared our lines in the lead up to Perez's goal. And Barkley miscontrolled the ball for the third. Distin overcompensated for Garbutt, which wasn't necessary as Baines was playing in front of him, and got dragged out to the left wing far too often. Alcaraz had to come over to cover for him and that left Coleman as the only man in the middle. Barkley saw the danger and tried to plug the gap.

Distin worries me at the best of times with his poor positional sense and the way that he tries to dribble out of tight corners. You don't see the teams with the strong defensive records, particularly Chelsea, doing that. They clear their lines. We shoot ourselves in the foot far too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back