Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said a bad word against any of the 3 signings mentioned mate, 1 was a proven top quality player cast aside by a new manager and was delighted we got him in, the other was a very promising young player - whose only gripe i had was about the amount up front we payed, although i stated that long term he'd justify it
as for gibbo i honestly didnt have much clue about him when he signed so cant comment

If you have full faith in McGeady mate then you havn't seen him play much, he's not some young kid you can mold into a better player, hes fully developed and hugely flawed, think mcfadden for a lot of pace and absolutely no brain or vision, can vault this if it floats ya boat but if he signs he will provide nothing to the team besides frustration

Did you just imply that McFadden had pace?

McGeady has always looked decent but frustrating when I've seen him... So in other words, typical for the position he plays.

Mirallas hasn't done much this season either, but you know hes got it In him somewhere. McGeady might not be Ronaldo, but hes not Gueye either. He would be an option at a bargain price.

And id trust Martinez to get the best out of him too.

Id even love to see how Martinez got on with Bily... Think he'd be a completely different player...

I have full faith in McGeady.

Gibson, Barry, McCarthy - people never learn.

We cant be turning to Naismith and Jelavic. That will just kill the season stone dead.

Agree with most of that. Other than the last two sentences. When jelavic slots. we riot.

McGeady was completely stifled by Trappatoni in the Irish team. McGeady was totally unsuited to the style favoured by Trap , in fact any attacking talented unpredictable player was totally unsuited to football under Trappatoni. Remember how he treated Gibson and didn't bring Coleman to the Euros two years ago.
McGeady was rated at 11m not many years ago,is heading into the best years of his career,as a free transfer or close to it he must be well worth a gamble for som team.

McGeady has always looked decent but frustrating when I've seen him... So in other words, typical for the position he plays.

Mirallas hasn't done much this season either, but you know hes got it In him somewhere. McGeady might not be Ronaldo, but hes not Gueye either. He would be an option at a bargain price.

And id trust Martinez to get the best out of him too.

Id even love to see how Martinez got on with Bily... Think he'd be a completely different player...

Bily would never have made it in the premier league. Not strong or quick enough and he gave the ball away too much. He serves as a decent reminder as to how poor the wingers have been at everton over the last 10 years though. We've had Bily, McFadden, Davies, kilbane, osman, gueye out wide for us for most of the last 10 years and yet people are turning their noses up at mcgeady.

we'll get Finnbogason if jelavic goes.

Wouldn't say no to that tbh. These type of players need to be taken a chance on sometimes IMO cos for every Afonso Alves you can get from the Eredivisie, there's a Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, if you catch my drift?!.

Finnbogason isn't your typical No.9, big, strong, plays right up against the CB. He's small'ish and nimble, finds the spaces well, can come deep, can play on the shoulder and gets into the right areas to score goals and in Holland, he certainly knows where the goal is.

McGeady looks nailed-on now Deulofeu is injured. Ah well, he'll have to do.

I don't think McGeady would be all that bad tbh!. He always turned it on in the big CL games for Celtic and as improved whilst playing in Russia, and on a cheap deal in Jan, would be a good squad player IMO.

Can play on either wing and what I like about him, is he's a throw back winger that likes to try and beat a man and get to the byline and whip crosses in.

Granit Xhaka. Anyone seen much of him. Swiss central midfielder linked a couple of times.

Showed real promise at Basel in the early part of his career, not heard a lot of him whilst at Gladbach but I cant see him being cheap. Permenant Barry replacement potentially?.

Still think we should keep an eye on Fernando's situation at Porto, the lad we was in for in the summer!. Gonna possibly be a free next summer as his deal is running out but didn't want to come to us due to us not being in the CL, could we possibly qualify and be able to entice him, as he's a quality?!!.

Now that Deulofeu is injured I really think we will either sign McGeady or Ince in january. Roberto has shown interest in both of them in the past and given that they'll be available for 5M or less I think they represent good value. If I had to choose I would take Ince only because he is younger and has more potential but both of them would offer us pace, trickery and scoring chances. Would be happy with any of them.

Then sign a CM for 5 or 6M and spend the rest, or save it for the summer, on a quality striker.I know top strikers aren't cheap but we could get a good one for 15M or so. If we buy smart in january and sign say Ince and and Nathko or the Czech kid linked a couple of days ago, we should surely have something like 10 or 15M for the summer.

* I have no idea how much money we've got left or how much we are gonna get in the summer, but with whats left of the Fellaini + Victor money + the famous TV money + anything we get for Heitinga and eventualy Jelavic I think 15M is realistics. Thats if the black hole that is Kenwright doesn't disappear it...

Lets be honest, we are hoping to get in the top 4, hell some are even talking about winning the league. How poor would a January with just McGeady and Finnbogason coming in. 2 Celtic rejects effectively

Lets be honest, we are hoping to get in the top 4, hell some are even talking about winning the league. How poor would a January with just McGeady and Finnbogason coming in. 2 Celtic rejects effectively

Hows Finnbogason a Celtic reject?. They could never afford him, or they never wanted to sell. He's decent and someone worth taking a chance on IMO and working under van Basten can only be a good thing for him!.

Man Utd many years ago bought a unknown Norwegian on the cheap and he helped them to a lot of success, even helped them win a CL final!. Sometimes you've just got to take that chance on players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back