Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably because more suitable players are usually available in summer windows.

Roberto Martinez probably has his eye in a few players, and probably has more chance of getting them at the end of the season. Why spend big now on players who are stop gaps, when we can loan re-inforcements now, then use any money better in June?

This.

This all over

Greg O'Keefe just explained to me on Twitter that the club are keeping the money from the player sales safe until the summer, apparently it's a plan!

So, we are 1 point off 4th, best chance of CL in years and they are keeping the powder dry?

Sorry but I just ain't buying it! Watch the Jelavic money disappear along with the profits from the summer window.

I really, really pray that I am wrong, but experience of this situation tells me I am not.

I think it's a good plan tbh. Don't forget, we as fans have no idea who is available possibly now vs who is possibly available in the summer. If there's any chance for eg lukaku is a possibility for the summer then yeah save the penny's!

It's probably because more suitable players are usually available in summer windows.

Roberto Martinez probably has his eye in a few players, and probably has more chance of getting them at the end of the season. Why spend big now on players who are stop gaps, when we can loan re-inforcements now, then use any money better in June?

Groucho the last thing we need in this thread are sensible posts

Please leave

Because that could possibly nail CL football mate.

This time next year we might not be in the position we are now.

Greg O'Keefe just explained to me on Twitter that the club are keeping the money from the player sales safe until the summer, apparently it's a plan!

So, we are 1 point off 4th, best chance of CL in years and they are keeping the powder dry?

Sorry but I just ain't buying it! Watch the Jelavic money disappear along with the profits from the summer window.

I really, really pray that I am wrong, but experience of this situation tells me I am not.
my biggest problem with this is that you basically double the money you have if you make Champions League(especially finishing 3rd or better in the league). Lets say that they have 15mil for the summer, if they spend that 15mil now and get Champions League, they have all that money basically just waiting for them again and players already signed and bedded.

I understand the logistics of saving the money for a rainy day but i think its short sighted to wait to improve the squad for next season when this season is completely up in the air.

*edit* and yes i know if they spend the 15mil on players and dont make the Champions League there wouldnt be any money left over. I dunno, its just we're so fn close to having huge success and basically saying 'ehhh, NEXT year will be the year!' is frustrating to me. sorry if i sound like im whinging. they didnt improve last year and the team was in virtually the same spot. Just frustrating getting so close only to fall away because everyone is knackered..

Last edited:

bobby has said several times that he likes to have long term plans. he's clearly planning big stuff for summer. in the other hand, if heitinga finally gets ofloaded to italy we can very well see some last day action i think...

Groucho the last thing we need in this thread is sensible posts

Please leave

Hang on a mo, I can see both sides, I am not slating the board here.

We have a genuine chance of pushing on, and we are going to risk deferring it another season then?

Barkley could break his leg, players might go off form, stranger things have happened!

It's exactly the right thing to do, Lukaku & Traore would cost us in excess of 30 million in transfer fees alone so we'd hardly be able to attract better even if they would come.

The player we can attract now on a permanent deal and those we can attract if we make top 4 are vastly different.

Shane long for 6 mill or Lukaku on loan with the money in the bank, it's a no brainer.

my biggest problem with this is that you basically double the money you have if you make Champions League(especially finishing 3rd or better in the league). Lets say that they have 15mil for the summer, if they spend that 15mil now and get Champions League, they have all that money basically just waiting for them again and players already signed and bedded.

I understand the logistics of saving the money for a rainy day but i think its short sighted to wait to improve the squad for next season when this season is completely up in the air.

*edit* and yes i know if they spend the 15mil on players and dont make the Champions League there wouldnt be any money left over. I dunno, its just we're so fn close to having huge success and basically saying 'ehhh, NEXT year will be the year!' is frustrating to me. sorry if i sound like im whinging. they didnt improve last year and the team was in virtually the same spot. Just frustrating getting so close only to fall away because everyone is knackered..

Two words....

Simon Davies

Right the people on here bleating on about spending the money to get CL football this season

Do you not think Martinez would spend the money he has if he could get the players he wants

90% Of the posters on here just want signings for the sake of signings, I bet my house that if we went out and spent 15m on a CM nobody had heard of from Spain/South America you would be all buzzing your tits off jizzing all over this forum

Players will arrive when the right ones are there to get at the right price, Sick of lads on here posting target after target because they sit on Football Manager every night and think there some world wide scout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back