Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ how many times are you going to pedal this nonsense? Martinez has confirmed he has money but does not want to spend it now. You think he's lying, and is protecting Bill cos that's what side his bread is buttered? If Martinez thought he would not be gettin the money he's brought into the club he'd walk. You post groundless negative garbage when we should all be on the up

'Nonsense' and 'groundless garbage'. The Everton manager said he wanted to replace Gibson this window as a priority (you DO remember that dont you 'Kev'?). He now isn't going to do that. That means he's either changed his mind on his view (highly unlikely given that the cm situation has gotten even worse since he made that statement) or he doesn't have the cash to do it.

I know which one most people will believe it is.

'Nonsense' and 'groundless garbage'. The Everton manager said he wanted to replace Gibson this window as a priority (you DO remember that dont you 'Kev'?). He now isn't going to do that. That means he's either changed his mind on his view (highly unlikely given that the cm situation has gotten even worse since he made that statement) or he doesn't have the cash to do it.

'You may very well believe that. I couldn't possibly comment'.

There is always the chance of an opportunistic late deadline day deal but I think it would be just that, opportunistic. We may see an u-21 player for the future if one of the Dundee United kids can be had but their club probably wants to hold on to the end of the season. I think we're taking a gamble as fresh CM legs would be really useful for depth/cover.

You're sadly, probably right. Youth prospects is what I'd expect now, we've loaned a few more out so there should be space.

I suspect the Heitinga deal is a formality and Traore & McGeady is filling up his & Jelavic's space on the wage bill. If we're going to give Baines and Barkley more money then how are we going to pay new signings without selling someone on similar wedge.

They're not going to spend monies from asset sales on salaries. I'd be inclined to believe Roberto here.

Christ how many times are you going to pedal this nonsense? Martinez has confirmed he has money but does not want to spend it now. You think he's lying, and is protecting Bill cos that's what side his bread is buttered? If Martinez thought he would not be gettin the money he's brought into the club he'd walk. You post groundless negative garbage when we should all be on the up

He's got McGeady, Piemaar slips inside, his agenda changed when he realised he could get him now.
You do really believe Martinez has bee told there's no money and he's covering (five months into the job?)? His reputation is gold, if there is anything about Everton he doesn't like he walks.

Don't want to take this thread off on a tangent, but that's simply overstating the influence the fans had on the change. The simple truth is that Hicks & Gillet HAD to sell or have the banks foreclose on the club. The banks decided to sell not the owners and it was a financially driven decision not influenced one iota by fan power regardless what the kopites would have you believe.

Oh I know but that's just bloody funny.

He's got McGeady, Piemaar slips inside, his agenda changed when he realised he could get him now.
You do really believe Martinez has bee told there's no money and he's covering (five months into the job?)? His reputation is gold, if there is anything about Everton he doesn't like he walks.

Take that Davek

A manager who openly criticizes his chairman, that's something other chairmen take note of when looking for prospective employees.

Whatever your view on who decides on transfers during this window the fact is that we are currently ONE POINT from 4th place with just 16 games left to play. As others have said it is a big opportunity to push the club forward.
It is all about what the club believes it can achieve in my eyes, If it truly believes it can make 4th then the money should be spent to improve the team now...if it thinks that it can't compete with the other clubs in the mix then we wait until the summer and try to push on then.
In my opinion the second option screams of a lack of ambition and, baring a lot of luck, almost certainly guarantees us finishing as also-rans.
We've had this opportunity for a couple of seasons now, if we don't grab it then I really doubt it'll keep coming round.

Whatever your view on who decides on transfers during this window the fact is that we are currently ONE POINT from 4th place with just 16 games left to play. As others have said it is a big opportunity to push the club forward.
It is all about what the club believes it can achieve in my eyes, If it truly believes it can make 4th then the money should be spent to improve the team now...if it thinks that it can't compete with the other clubs in the mix then we wait until the summer and try to push on then.
In my opinion the second option screams of a lack of ambition and, baring a lot of luck, almost certainly guarantees us finishing as also-rans.
We've had this opportunity for a couple of seasons now, if we don't grab it then I really doubt it'll keep coming round.

Are you saying Martinez lacks ambition there?

January just isn't the best time to buy....loans yes, buys no.

Roberto is in complete control. Don't beleive the doom-Sayers on forums....listen to what the main man says and judge him on that.

Are you saying Martinez lacks ambition there?

No, I'm saying that we are in a great position to finish top 4...if we don't because of the size of our squad/injuries then there is justification for critisism as we have the opportunity to resolve that before it happens.
Whether that critisism is for Martinez or the board is dependent on who decides if we spend or not

January just isn't the best time to buy....loans yes, buys no.

Roberto is in complete control. Don't beleive the doom-Sayers on forums....listen to what the main man says and judge him on that.

The man has said on many occasions he wants a cm in this window. He's now saying the window is shut.

Fair enough, if it's a ploy and he does get someone in at cm in the next 6 days then job done. If it really is the end of the window then that's not hit a target he set out very specifically to be met.

I'm not criticising our manager her, btw. The problem, as we all know, lies elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back