Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The man has said on many occasions he wants a cm in this window. He's now saying the window is shut.

Fair enough, if it's a ploy and he does get someone in at cm in the next 6 days then job done. If it really is the end of the window then that's not hit a target he set out very specifically to be met.

I'm not criticising our manager her, btw. The problem, as we all know, lies elsewhere.

...he has said CM cover for Gibson was a priority, but perhaps Gibson is closer to fitness than was thought a month or so ago. He has plenty of CM options and maybe thinks he can get by until Gibson returns.

The man has said on many occasions he wants a cm in this window. He's now saying the window is shut.

Fair enough, if it's a ploy and he does get someone in at cm in the next 6 days then job done. If it really is the end of the window then that's not hit a target he set out very specifically to be met.

I'm not criticising our manager her, btw. The problem, as we all know, lies elsewhere.

He says in today's Echo that his top 2 targets for this window were McGeady and Traore and he's delighted that he got them both and we're now strong enough to challenge for the top 4 right to the end.

...he has said CM cover for Gibson was a priority, but perhaps Gibson is closer to fitness than was thought a month or so ago. He has plenty of CM options and maybe thinks he can get by until Gibson returns.

Sorry Egg, but have to strongly disagree...Gibson is a sicknote...if either of McCarthy or Barry gets injured, we are in shyte street...not at the end, right in the middle because the only cover we have, is Osman...unless of course Roberto does what I have been advocating for some time [unashamed punt I know] and put a certain Mr Stones into that slot...just imagine Stones and McCarthy in those holding roles...mouth watering I tell you...well, for me anyway as I know many on the Forum thinks that Stones as a holding midfielder is a Nuts idea, and so am I...

@SkySportsNews: Sky Sources: AC Milan midfielder Antonio Nocerino having medical with West Ham #SSN

Is this some sort of sick joke? He's quality.

Let's hijack this one as well.

Cant see Gibson making it this season myself.

I dont know about midfield options. It seems to me that if you look to play someone ahead of Osman when Barkley is sidelined then you have to reshuffle the pack an awful lot. I'm not keen on Pienaar coming inside now. He's found some form of late and he's best deployed out wide. Naismith is not an option, he's too slow of thought and has limited mobility anyway.

These are the reasons Martinez (who chooses his words carefully, I believe) stated a few times we needed CM cover in this window.

Sorry Egg, but have to strongly disagree...Gibson is a sicknote...if either of McCarthy or Barry gets injured, we are in shyte street...not at the end, right in the middle because the only cover we have, is Osman...unless of course Roberto does what I have been advocating for some time [unashamed punt I know] and put a certain Mr Stones into that slot...just imagine Stones and McCarthy in those holding roles...mouth watering I tell you...well, for me anyway as I know many on the Forum thinks that Stones as a holding midfielder is a Nuts idea, and so am I...

I dont. I think he has poise and good distribution. He'd get the nod to start a game in cm way ahead of Osman for me. However, we shouldn't be needing to put players into unusual positions given our savings in this and the last window.

although i agree we need another cm , i cant agree with playing stones there mate .

i think if we get an injury or for the man city game which barry misses i think barkley will play in his place.

mcgeady mccarthy barkley pienaar
....................mirallas
.....................lukaku

i think if we are really unlucky and miss 2 cm players he would have to go 442 with...

mcgeady osman barkley pienaar
..............traore lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back