Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25464772

I wonder if Martinez might see Ledley as a player he could use? Left sided CM who passes well and keeps on the move?

Free to talk in January about a move for no fee.

Gibson I cant see back to his best...and if he is we'll always be wondering when he *goes* again. Ledley might depend on Barry making his mind up early - though it'd still be good to have depth in these positions.

I'd like to know what we have in terms of people like Lundstram, Long, Grant, Kennedy etc. Although I think that'll have to wait until the pre-season. We defo need a CM who can weigh in with a goal or two and a striker (more than anything else a striker).

Basically, if we go into February not having to call on the likes of Naismith and Osman to come in (and being terrified about who we can get to deputise for Lukaku) we've done well.

It really is shameful that Martinez is having to be frustrated in the transfer market because unwanted players are not willing to leave at this stage.

10M surplus in the last window does a disappearing act in four months...and Kenwright has the cheek to blurt out to the world's media that the manager can get CL football for him.

Give him the money he's generated...dont have him holding on for another grim round of sell to buy which ends in frustration. We're going to lose this feller if Billy Liar continues the tricks he started during the Moyes years. Something tells me Martinez wont be the nodding dog Moyes was for very long.

He'll be off if Billy Liar starts reneging on deals concerning generation of money to spend. In other words, no: he wont last 10 years with that clown.

He looks like a man who's recently been through the Billy Liar 'Sit down, I've got some bad news on finances' routine.

"Roberto, you're like a son to me. That's why I know that when I tell you that the 10M surplus from the summer has gone on essential ground safety work I know you'll understand. I mean, you dont want the stands falling down on people's heads do you?
Good lad. Maybe in the summer we can talk about that "few bob" I promised you when you joined."

There is. But this is particularly about this transfer window and the obvious lack of resources preventing a simple 7M deal going through for a striker who is earmarked to take the place of an outgoing one and one injured for the rest of the season.

It's a legitimate concern and one that belongs in a strand discussing the window itself.

How has that wiorry come to the surface right now? We have the same loaned players as we did in September - 3.

I bring it on myself like...but still no excuse for people failing to read what's there rather than what they think is there.

I love Davek, it breaks my heart to see his deteriorating optimism over the space of 3 months.

If I say I disagree with that am I being negative.

Well someone who can bypass the news of one of Europe's best left backs committing to the club, and talking about how much he loves it here and how the club is buzzing, to say this has been dampened because of a some injuries in the squad; then yes it is negative

Dave, can you repeat this here for me:

"Well done to everyone at the club, including our chairman, for tying down the best left back in the country for the prime of his career"

It can't be that difficult to state a fact, and give credit where it is due?

I love Davek, it breaks my heart to see his deteriorating optimism over the space of 3 months.

Bryan, I was even still quite hopeful at the start of the window - especially when RM stated we'd leave this window stronger than going in. This past few days has shaken my faith in this feller now. Not his fault like...you lie down with dogs like Kenwright and you get covered in fleas. He's still a boss feller and manager like, but I'll take a huge pinch of salt when he starts talking about transfer budgets in the future.

Really disillusioned with this lot now. We have a great chance to do something and it's being thrown down the toilet again.

Heartbreaking it is.

Still...we'll spend loads in the summer...I suppose.

Bryan, I was even still quite hopeful at the start of the window - especially when RM stated we'd leave this window stronger than going in. This past few days has shaken my faith in this feller now. Not his fault like...you lie down with dogs like Kenwright and you get covered in fleas. He's still a boss feller and manager like, but I'll take a huge pinch of salt when he starts talking about transfer budgets in the future.

Really disillusioned with this lot now. We have a great chance to do something and it's being thrown down the toilet again.

Heartbreaking it is.

Read Martinez's quotes in the Express 18th January 2014

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/64522-BTSport-Martinez-should-be-running-the-economy-Mike-Calvin?p=2489994#post2489994

It's frigging exhausting. I for one am completely fed up with incessant and relentless negativity and board bashing.
It's constant and often completely unrelated.
Change the record for God's sake.

Heartbreaking it is.

I quite agree but a nominal fee for Macca and a loan signing isn't exactly awful, deals done quite early too. How many you hopeful for? I would have thought the final in would depend on Johnny shifting himself.

I quite agree but a nominal fee for Macca and a loan signing isn't exactly awful, deals done quite early too. How many you hopeful for? I would have thought the final in would depend on Johnny shifting himself.

I was expecting just two players: the one's highlighted by the manager. What we have is no cm to cover for Gibson, as promised, and a new long term injury that isn't being addressed even though 'we have money' and the window is wide open to get a replacement in.

ergo: these people aren't seriously interested in cracking the top four or even securing Europe.

I was expecting just two players: the one's highlighted by the manager. What we have is no cm to cover for Gibson, as promised, and a new long term injury that isn't being addressed even though 'we have money' and the window is wide open to get a replacement in.

ergo: these people aren't seriously interested in cracking the top four or even securing Europe.

Why do they need to address Oveido?

Luke Garbutt is out on loan. Cover.

You'd just see us waste money when it should be spent properly. Securing Lukaku etc

You have the chance to buy Deulofeu for 20m or Lukaku for 25m. Who would you buy?

Assuming they develop as we think/hope in the next 3-5 years I feel like an attacking three of Lukaku/Barkley/Del could win the league (with Coleman, McCarthy and some others hitting their primes too). If we could get them for those prices it's kind of a downer to think "just" 45m could make it happen.

That said, despite what fair market value might be (and 20m seems reasonable I suppose) there is no way Barca would sell (don't need the money) unless Del decided to force it through. But in the spirit of the question ... I think I might buy Lukaku regardless. Consistent 20 goal a year strikers (which he could be) are extremely rare. Rarer than most people think -- there are usually only a handful of players who score 20+ in one season. I also think we'd have a better chance of keeping Lukaku long-term.

While Del is special we do have someone we can build a midfield around right now. If we got Del we still don't have a striker and how would we find one? Odds are we won't hit the lottery with a cheap striker who becomes a 20 goal type. Look what Kone and Jela cost FFS. Hell we have purchased a few 5-10m types in the past ten years and essentially missed on all of them (some had one good season and some were sold for profit but none become permanent quality). I can get you some solid midfielders for 20m but that money doesn't guarantee a solid striker if you look at some of the money pissed away on strikers in the past few years.

All a bit FM of course but that's my answer: Lukaku. You'll all agree after his hat-trick tomorrow night.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back