Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
indeed, We've struck a new formula, sell every asset and scav other peoples for a few months.

It's like cancelling your sky and watching the footy on your neighbour's telly.

It's what we do

You two have failed to account for an extra 15 million per season due to the new BT and sky deals. Not in till next years accounts.

Until the wage level increases there is no pressing problem in cashflow at the club.

If there is with those rises then is the time to panic.

Now Dave, bear in mind I'm only suggesting this....I'm not stating a fact or looking for a torrent of negative defiance, but couldn't it possibly be that yes...we do have money but Bobby prefers to spend in the summer, but that also as a not so well off club we have strict rules on the wage bill. So basically, transfer funds or not, we don't allow our wage bill to get above a certain level without checking and double-checking, and in this instance Johnnys gotta go before we take another wage on board.

I mean we all assume and expect money to be available, but I imagine we also assume and expect diligence with control of our wage bill vs income?

Bit of both of this I'd say.

Selling players to pay off debt is nothing new, lots of clubs do this. Usually it's in response to chronic mismanagement where the clubs have spent beyond their means. Being continuously in debt for 14 years despite having a negative net spend on transfer fees is extremely unusual for a club in the Premier League.

Dave - I have no inside knowledge of what is happening at Goodison, but I do know how banks behave. Yes they can see higher revenues in the future, and their argument will be pay down debt now and spend your increased revenues when you receive them.

Gone have the days of increasing debt based on future revenues - it's no longer of a case of spend now, pay later, it's reduce debt now, and spend later....
All clubs operate in a state of indebtedness. Our level of debt has, with this extra tv money, been reduced as a proportion of revenue and so the banks are good with what happens at the club. But forget about the banks, they aren't making Everton's decision making priorities - the club is. Look, and you KNOW this, there's no talk here of spending new revenue sources extravagantly. We're talking about recycling player assets...and they can't even see their way to doing that.

It's unforgivable. I don't know why you feel the need to try and argue a plausible case for this parsimony by you do yourself a disservice. I don't know..maybe you're a businessman first and a football supporter second. In that case I can understand how you just see matters as a need to cut costs to the bone and operate as lean as possible to ensure survival. But football is no ordinary business.

Your opinion on left backs means nothing.

Re:Oveido

1) Regarding the game in question he was woeful. Like all players have been woeful in at least one game during their career.

2) I think the fact I put 'VAULT ME.' indicates that I may have been joking.

3) How much of the reserves have you watched? I can guarantee you I've watched more of Garbutt than you have.

Oh and get a life Damon. Seriously, lid, the amount of time you spend trawling through GOT posts to 'prove people wrong' or 'mega vault' them is worrying for someone of your age. Have you spoke to the fit bird next door who you watch while she does the dishes yet?

If we'd listen to him on Oveido.

No oveido.

If we listen to him on Garbutt...

Shall I draw a picture?

Firstly Matt don't patronise me, and we've all got stuff wrong, does that make our football opinions invalid? I'd also hasten to point out that Azz watches the youth a bit, (lol), so I think his opinion can be trusted.

GOT under 21s, lid.

Sorry to butt in. I'm not sure what the topic is but I'm telling you now, Garbutt will not make it at Everton or at any top 10 team. I've hardly watched him but you can tell in 5 games easily if someone is going to be good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back