Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sensing a pattern here?

Pochettino had a bad half season at Spurs and got fired.

It was only really the Chelsea half season that was terrible. Most of the fans wanted him to stay anyway but they were in the relegation zone, just a perfect storm. The United sacking was ridiculous, a load of mercenary players that threw him under the bus and a fan base still starry eyes for some nostalgic vision they had of Fergie’s beautiful flowing football. Most have now seen the error of their ways now they’re lumbered with Solskjaer. Spurs fans won’t be as impatient as the fools at United who chased out one of the world’s best managers. It’s trendy to hate Mourinho but no one has won like he did in the past. He dethroned Fergie and Wenger, he was the last manager to break Juve’s dominance in Italy, he mentally broke Pep and finished ahead of probably the greatest team of all time in Spain. He even dragged trophies out of a terrible United team. If Spurs give him the time he needs and the players follow him rather than chucking him under the bus because their egos got dented they’ll challenge again no question. There’s a world of difference between top players like Kane, Lloris, Son than celebrity party boys like Pogba Lingard etc. who probably got told off once and spent the rest of the season sulking.

It was only really the Chelsea half season that was terrible. Most of the fans wanted him to stay anyway but they were in the relegation zone, just a perfect storm. The United sacking was ridiculous, a load of mercenary players that threw him under the bus and a fan base still starry eyes for some nostalgic vision they had of Fergie’s beautiful flowing football. Most have now seen the error of their ways now they’re lumbered with Solskjaer. Spurs fans won’t be as impatient as the fools at United who chased out one of the world’s best managers. It’s trendy to hate Mourinho but no one has won like he did in the past. He dethroned Fergie and Wenger, he was the last manager to break Juve’s dominance in Italy, he mentally broke Pep and finished ahead of probably the greatest team of all time in Spain. He even dragged trophies out of a terrible United team. If Spurs give him the time he needs and the players follow him rather than chucking him under the bus because their egos got dented they’ll challenge again no question. There’s a world of difference between top players like Kane, Lloris, Son than celebrity party boys like Pogba Lingard etc. who probably got told off once and spent the rest of the season sulking.

United are a different beast altogether than pretty much every other football club in the country. They are arguably in the top 3 biggest clubs in the world, winning the Europa League for them is not an achievement. Every season where they don’t seriously challenge for the title is a failure. I have quite a few United supporting mates and they were adamant that they were going nowhere but rapidly backwards under him even though they finished 2nd (20 points behind City) in his second season. Just because Solskjaer has been a disastrous appointment doesn’t mean that Mourinho wasn’t a failure there.

Also massive LOL at “mentally broke Pep”. That spell at Madrid mentally broke him.

No one is arguing that Mourinho wasn’t the best manager in the world for a period. But it is now 2020. But it sounds like you’ve already got the excuse ready that the players have downed tools on him for when he fails again.

United are a different beast altogether than pretty much every other football club in the country. They are arguably in the top 3 biggest clubs in the world, winning the Europa League for them is not an achievement. Every season where they don’t seriously challenge for the title is a failure. I have quite a few United supporting mates and they were adamant that they were going nowhere but rapidly backwards under him even though they finished 2nd (20 points behind City) in his second season. Just because Solskjaer has been a disastrous appointment doesn’t mean that Mourinho wasn’t a failure there.

Also massive LOL at “mentally broke Pep”. That spell at Madrid mentally broke him.

No one is arguing that Mourinho wasn’t the best manager in the world for a period. But it is now 2020. But it sounds like you’ve already got the excuse ready that the players have downed tools on him for when he fails again.

If he fails at Spurs then fair enough, there’ll be a definite pattern. I just think some of the claims that he is finished are outlandish. On the one hand we’re hailing Ancelotti as a genius when he arguably ‘failed’ at Bayern and Napoli, yet at the same time we’re happy to laugh at Mourinho. I just don’t think talent goes away that quickly or that football can become outdated. I think Fergie could still probably school most of the managers of today, like Ancelotti said it’s not a difficult game. We’ll see how he does at Spurs, I just think quite a lot of people expect him (and Spurs) to fail when on paper they have a top manager with genuine world class forwards.

If he fails at Spurs then fair enough, there’ll be a definite pattern. I just think some of the claims that he is finished are outlandish. On the one hand we’re hailing Ancelotti as a genius when he arguably ‘failed’ at Bayern and Napoli, yet at the same time we’re happy to laugh at Mourinho. I just don’t think talent goes away that quickly or that football can become outdated. I think Fergie could still probably school most of the managers of today, like Ancelotti said it’s not a difficult game. We’ll see how he does at Spurs, I just think quite a lot of people expect him (and Spurs) to fail when on paper they have a top manager with genuine world class forwards.

The 'experts' told us how bad Mourinho was going to be for Kane....

If Liverpool go the way of City, he should be winning the league with this squad for me, in this season. Full of good players and probably deep enough, with some luck with injuries.

He'll dine out on it forever as well. He'll never get through an interview for the rest of his life without telling someone Spurs had won two leagues before he took over.

The 'experts' told us how bad Mourinho was going to be for Kane....

Most of those ‘experts’ are horrible bitter kopites who have an obsession with hating both Mourinho and Harry Kane. Mourinho because he killed their league dream under Rodgers with his B team, Kane because he detracts too much media attention away from them as England captain.

If Liverpool go the way of City, he should be winning the league with this squad for me, in this season. Full of good players and probably deep enough, with some luck with injuries.

He'll dine out on it forever as well. He'll never get through an interview for the rest of his life without telling someone Spurs had won two leagues before he took over.

If he does it though then he’ll have a point. There’s been weak seasons before and Spurs managers have had good squads and not won stuff. For all the managers that have gone through Chelsea since 2004 they have only won 5 titles and three of them have been Mourinho’s (Ancelotti and Conte the others). Quality tells.

@Yid4life
Bit of a random question. Just curious, over the years have you ever seen Salman Rushdie at Spurs games?
Just re-read his book Step Across this Line, he devotes a chapter to explaining how he became a Spurs fan. As a Spurs fan, you might really enjoy it if you haven’t already read it

There’s no more hiding places for Mourinho, no more excuses about not having the players he needs. Levy to my astonishment has backed him completely in the transfer market (although he must cry himself to sleep every night). Like Smaug being parted from his treasure. If Jose can’t get that team firing now then its curtains for him.

They will challenge for the title this year but just come up short. I’m going for a top 4 finish for them.

If he does it though then he’ll have a point. There’s been weak seasons before and Spurs managers have had good squads and not won stuff. For all the managers that have gone through Chelsea since 2004 they have only won 5 titles and three of them have been Mourinho’s (Ancelotti and Conte the others). Quality tells.

Definitely has a point, it would be a big achievement. Heavy that they've already dropped 5 points though. Difficult to hit that 90+ mark.

@Yid4life
Bit of a random question. Just curious, over the years have you ever seen Salman Rushdie at Spurs games?
Just re-read his book Step Across this Line, he devotes a chapter to explaining how he became a Spurs fan. As a Spurs fan, you might really enjoy it if you haven’t already read it

I haven't mate. I will look it up. We have quite a few random people supporting Spurs, i can only imagine they must have done something REALLY bad in a past life. I'd love to know what i did or who i was. I dread to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back