Stadium Thread - ALL Kirkby/Stadium Discussion Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the part i dont understand, i can fully see the logic of being against the idea, but lets just say we do move, i can bet that over 50% of these people that say, "i wont go to Kirkby" ,will go, if only so they can say i went and it was [Poor language removed].

I agree with that. I just cant help comparing it to the smoking ban in pubs and clubs. Everyone was up in arms over it saying "I'll never go the pub if that comes in! Ruins what going the pubs about etc".

Ban comes in. The same fellers are still going the pub.

Going the football for people is like a drug, win lose or draw they go and get that fix - they go to get away from the wife, the kids, anything to have that day for themselves. They can bang the drum of not going to go...but you know they still will at some point IMO.

And SI, you wouldnt be supporting the stadium move by going the match. Its about supporting the team and club when you go and see them not the stadium.

If the move does happen, cant people just bite the bullet and take it, admit defeat even though they fought well? Bury the hatchet and get back to the matter of supporting the team? Because I'm pretty sure the ones that are Pro-DK will. Because IF it did go through, nothing would stop it. Once its built, it cant be knocked down. So its either take it on the chin if it does happen, or cut your nose to spite your face.

But probably 100% of them are all born in Liverpool Royal or Fazackerly hospital being they're the nearest main hospitals -- so on that basis, arent they scouse?

I was born and brought up in Kirkby and have always been proud of it. I left home at 16 and was given the nickname of scouse by others, I was, and remain proud to be called a scouser. Kirkby is outside the city, but it's people are very much of the city. Home is where the heart is.

I was born and brought up in Kirkby and have always been proud of it. I left home at 16 and was given the nickname of scouse by others, I was, and remain proud to be called a scouser. Kirkby is outside the city, but it's people are very much of the city. Home is where the heart is.

Where about's mate? Lived in Northwood till I moved out when I was 18.

Just as a matter of interest, how many on this forum are from or have Kirkby connections?

This forum's always seemed to be a bit incestuous in that respect to me, like.

The posh part, behind the Carters Arms. St Kev's or next door ?

I was at St Kev's 69 - 74.

Quarry Green. Didnt know behind the Carters was the posh bit hahah.

I think me Dad went to St Kev's around that time. St Kev's field aint there no more. I think there's a green patch here or there but there's a new estate on it now.

Quarry Green. Didnt know behind the Carters was the posh bit hahah.
I think me Dad went to St Kev's around that time. St Kev's field aint there no more. I think there's a green patch here or there but there's a new estate on it now.

It was when I lived there:lol: I still have relatives there so I get back home once in a while to visit.

Going the football for people is like a drug, win lose or draw they go and get that fix - they go to get away from the wife, the kids, anything to have that day for themselves. They can bang the drum of not going to go...but you know they still will at some point IMO.
What if the pub moved out-of-town to a place with poor public transport and you would have to park your car a 45-minute walk away? And if there were other options (in footballing terms "watch it on telly in the pub")?

Do you think that might have an impact on the number of customers?

What if the pub moved out-of-town to a place with poor public transport and you would have to park your car a 45-minute walk away? And if there were other options (in footballing terms "watch it on telly in the pub")?

Do you think that might have an impact on the number of customers?

Or like for example, obstructed views, poor facilitiies, stinking toilets and that. You could argue they would have an impact compared to other modern day sports stadia.

And yes, I pluralled stadium all over the show there.

Or like for example, obstructed views, poor facilitiies, stinking toilets and that. You could argue they would have an impact compared to other modern day sports stadia.

And yes, I pluralled stadium all over the show there.

The problem might well be that our traditional recruitment area, being the city of Liverpool and its surrounding areas, is eroded in part. Thus, it might not be the retention of oldies like ourselves that is the problem, but recruiting newbies instead. Unless, of course, people are prepared to tramp all the way to Kirkby from the likes of south Liverpool, the Wirral and beyond. As far as I can see, the new support will most likely appear from the Knowsley, north Liverpool, St. Helens, Skem and West Lancashire regions. Will that be enough? And I'm talking 20 years down the road, not tomorrow or the year after.

Last edited:
It will have an impact I reckon but how big is anyones guess. We have lots of support from the Wirral, and Im guessing the main transport mode is train or car. In essense, I think as Si pointed out its an additional 12 minutes on the train which isnt all that.

Its bad for people from Speke and Halewood and that you'd think as its further but then the M57 and Knowsley Expressway have halfed that journey time in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back