Steve Round being groomed for the Managers Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The chances of that happening are about the same as Elvis being spotted having a Chang & a sausage roll at the Stoke game imo.

There's an awful lot to be said for having continuity at a club in our situation. There are two types of clubs that can bunt managers in and out regularly and still do 'ok'.

The first is your City or Chelsea style of club for whom money isn't an object. New managers tend to want their own players, and only really rich clubs can afford to have a large enough turnover of players to give the new manager the kind of squad they want. The rest, and especially relatively poor clubs like us, would be giving the new manager much the same squad as the old one. Given that the resources would stay the same it seems sensible to have someone that knows the players and appreciates their talents.

The second type of club is one for whom a manager is more like a coach. They have other staff that look after the buying of players. This means they can have a continuity of style, and buy players that fit into that style from senior level down to youth level. The coach is then limited to training them. When you know a club plays a certain way, and has players to fit that system, changing coach isn't really that big of an issue. Whilst Irvine was saying he wants that at Everton, I don't think we have it yet, so it's quite possible that a new coach would want to change the style of play, and that's very hard without changing the playing staff significantly.

The other thing to consider of course is that very few of us know what Steve Round is like as a coach. We don't have access to the work he does in training or in a scouting capacity. All we see is how he behaves on match day. I'd say that's a very small part of his job.

his history doesn't indicate a yes man but one with very set ideas about how to approach coaching and management. think there is a chance he could be along the lines of an AVB which is something we will need if we get into Europe where hard Scottish stares may not be enough. his experience of the game is probably higher than any manager who has had a couple good seasons in the championship, also stability has definitely been key to the blues progress recently. I can easily see this happening and if he gets an assistant who can bark orders at them then it may be the most effective decision.

How anyone, unless they know the inner workings, can have an opinion on Round is beyond me?

Whats it based on?

Ferguson sends that baldy midget fella to do interviews all the time. Doubt he'd give him the job.

How anyone, unless they know the inner workings, can have an opinion on Round is beyond me?

Whats it based on?

Ferguson sends that baldy midget fella to do interviews all the time. Doubt he'd give him the job.

I think it's been pretty well explained on here that we are only going on the very small amount we do see of him. Which, as Bruce says, is a very tiny part of his job.

out of the backroom staff who would you want as manager -round,sheedy,stubbs,ferguson, other?

I would have to think Round would have to be the logical call, with Stubbs, Sheedy and possibly Irvine supporting him (along with senior players like Neville). Ferguson may well go on to be a good manager but wouldn't want him fast tracked, would be better to let him learn for a while with the reserves or age group teams for me (ala Stubbs).

I'm not sure any are ideal (it''s hard to say without any real insight to the inner workings of things like training, motivation, tactical nous ect) but I do think it's possible.

Whats it based on?

His headset.

Well, that's the reason for my negative opinion of him anyway.

he was looking at being a manager a few years back but withdrew his application for some reason. only similar appointment we made was probably Colin Harvey which was hard to judge as a success because so many unusual circumstances, but the good side of an appointment like this is that its relatively risk free as someone doesn't come in and make wholesale changes behind the scenes, and whatever we feel about a lack of trophies most things going on in the backroom must be working

Whats it based on?

You are right, I'm just going off what I see. I know nothing of how he operates on a daily basis. Some people are good coaches or assistants and not managers.

My main gripe would be that nothing would change but for all we know Moyes is holding this tactical mastermind back.

I would have to think Round would have to be the logical call, with Stubbs, Sheedy and possibly Irvine supporting him (along with senior players like Neville). Ferguson may well go on to be a good manager but wouldn't want him fast tracked, would be better to let him learn for a while with the reserves or age group teams for me (ala Stubbs).

I'm not sure any are ideal (it''s hard to say without any real insight to the inner workings of things like training, motivation, tactical nous ect) but I do think it's possible.

Who is the last assistant at a club appointed when a manager has moved on ? There are probably loads but I can't think of a long successful list to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.