Votes: 52 6.0%
  • OUT

Votes: 727 84.4%
  • Shake it all about

Votes: 82 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No you haven't implied that at all mate, that's more the insinuation in the media. I would be very interested to see what we are offering him compared to say what Arsenal offered him or what you may have offered him. It may be more it may be less but I'd expect it's in the same ballpark. We agree there will be a little more to it. You've given some factors (location, closeness to daughter) I think he believes in the owners project.

I am not sure how much your owner has. All I can say is that our own owners wealth is grossly underestimated (even acknowledged so by Forbes) and I suspect another wealthy(er) investor will come on board with us quickly. Suffice to say estimates say we will be bankrolled beyond anything else in the league other than City. We will see over time, Moshiri's wealth and influence is quite murky so all is not 100% clear.

I would agree with that and the name alone would not be enough, otherwise Nottingham Forest would by players off Bournemouth. I think it is a factor though. As for Koeman I think it's we went up to 6 million which is incentivised. My understanding was he expressed a firm interest well before the offer was upped and Saints offered him 3.5 million. I suspect our initial offer, particularly the basic package was very similar to theirs and yet he has still elected to move.
I strongly suspect his basic salary will be comparable to the initial increase Southampton offered. I'm not saying they'd have gone to 6 but with bonuses he may have got close to it from them had he been interested. He wasn't though. And my feelings are he wasn't because of what is being promised behind closed doors of a plan and a project that goes well beyond what Southampton can offer.

I sense something similar with Walsh. I don't believe Leicester could have not got in the same ballpark as Everton. I also acknowledge that there are geographical factors but it is a real coup to get them both. Leicester and Southampton are very well run clubs (in no small part down to those 2 men) in Europe, in the top 6 and in your guys case champions. Our board have done well to get them and I believe must have significant plans for them to get on board with over and above what the two clubs are offering them, which is exciting.

As with all things though, plans mean very little, achieving them is everything and you have done that whereas we are talking about it.

Fair one... it's all ifs buts and maybes. The only people who know are Walsh and Koeman and they'll never publicly say anyway.

Apologies if that's what you think I've implied, it really isn't what I meant. The first games I remember as a nipper were Everton winning the FA Cup, I was around when you won stuff and know what you've won before.

But, you are newly monied. The other teams have taken a place you used to sit at, many using money. To ever have sustained success against them, then it's going to take that new money to do it.

You're offing money that only the top couple of teams would usually offer, it's no disgrace to admit you're using cash to get people in. To get a rapid head start it's what's needed. We did the same in the Championship, I have nothing against it.

Your owner is no Richer than ours, so we'll wait and see what you do long term. Looks to me like he's investing heavily on the ground floor, similar to what our owners did when they came in. They invested loads in the facilities, training ground, Cat 1 status, scouting, sports science... with the hope it provides a long term base and means you don't have to spend silly money constantly on players.

My point was just that the name Everton alone isn't YET enough to sign lure people from teams already doing well. They are big coups, but there are other factors at play. Saints are treading water hoping their strategy works and you've given him what £7m a year... he's probably trippled his money. If Everton or the project was the lure for him you could offered him a few quid more than he was already getting.

Walsh there are plenty of factors going on not just money as I said.

That's a very well thought out piece that pal and a very honest balanced view .
welcome to the abuse and mind drain that is Evertons GOT website.

Good luck for next season I hope you do the league proud in the CL

Considering the previous 29 we'd lost 18 and only won 4 as well... When I think about it all I can do it laugh now, still can't get my head around it.

Id still be on a session if that was Everton!
Hoping Walsh can unearth a few Kante's for us! i want marque signings but i understand that squads need to have cheaper signings to pad out the squad!

Id still be on a session if that was Everton!
Hoping Walsh can unearth a few Kante's for us! i want marque signings but i understand that squads need to have cheaper signings to pad out the squad!
The last 6 years have shown me names mean sod all, we signed them under Sven and were utter dog muck. City, Chelsea, United, Arsenal had loads of them and we made them look like idiots because all they did was chuck a load of names together.

Forget the marque signings mate, they feel great and you get that buzz from them signing. But they often come with ego, bags full of cash and little hunger. What matters is people fitting your system.

There was a decent article I saw from a Liverpool fan (boo hiss) the other day, which summed up as saying the way forward isn't buying the best players, it's about buying the best fit for your needs.

Steve Walsh wanted us to sign Troy Deeney, people around the country laughed. Most Leicester fans didn't though, because we could see him fitting our system perfectly in the 10 role. Right mentality, hungry to make up for past errors and style wise a perfect compliment to our team. Not the best player out there, but the right fit for us.

The last 6 years have shown me names mean sod all, we signed them under Sven and were utter dog muck. City, Chelsea, United, Arsenal had loads of them and we made them look like idiots because all they did was chuck a load of names together.

Forget the marque signings mate, they feel great and you get that buzz from them signing. But they often come with ego, bags full of cash and little hunger. What matters is people fitting your system.

There was a decent article I saw from a Liverpool fan (boo hiss) the other day, which summed up as saying the way forward isn't buying the best players, it's about buying the best fit for your needs.

Steve Walsh wanted us to sign Troy Deeney, people around the country laughed. Most Leicester fans didn't though, because we could see him fitting our system perfectly in the 10 role. Right mentality, hungry to make up for past errors and style wise a perfect compliment to our team. Not the best player out there, but the right fit for us.

oh i know by marque i meant big money i.e 15-20 million id rather we built a team in the same way you did getting the right players to fit into the right system. no point shoe horning players into a team where their personalties wont fit or their playing style isnt right!

Spot on mate. This is what Clough did very well. He recognised exactly what his team needed and went and found it. I'm not sure Deeney is worth the money at all but he has a rare attribute which is the ability to make others around him look better players. He covers a lot of ground, puts himself about, takes the hits for a strike partner and is quite a clever player at dropping into space. Souness rightly said "he's more than just a lump" when he saw him against Liverpool. I think he would be the perfect foil for Lukaku and for me it was a travesty that he wasn't on the plane to France as he's the exact sort of player England lack.

Finding great players is very easy. Finding players who compliment other players is a far greater skill.

Trying to model after Southampton/Spurs/Leicester in having a system and getting the best fitting players for that system as they do in abroad.

Love it.

Surprised none of the Mata & Witsel fan boys are crying "we need a big name player just because money"

We won't see instant success, but Koeman will put a system into place and over the next few years will build his squad to fit his system.

May be a painful process but I'm looking forward to the results.

Considering the previous 29 we'd lost 18 and only won 4 as well... When I think about it all I can do it laugh now, still can't get my head around it.

I think there has been a lot of disrespect to your achievements mate. I watched you against us in a 2-2 draw just before you went on that mad run. You were bottom and dominated the game against us. Few sides dominated us under Martinez (until the very end where he lost the dressing room) normally sides would beat us pragmatically, but you outplayed us that day. You did the same to Liverpool a few weeks later. I couldn't believe you were bottom.

I never thought you'd win the league and if I'm honest I thought sacking Pearson was a big mistake as I admired the work he had done. But you can see you have been getting a lot right and have some excellent players. Andy King/Drinkwater will have learnt a lot from Kante last season and the new lad will fill in for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back