Steven Naismith though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thnk with Eto'o and maybe another striker coming Naismith will find his way back to the bench and give us a nice option last 20 minutes.

Not until Barkley is back. But let's say Barkers isn't back for another 10 games -- can you bench someone who has scored 12 goals in 12 games which Naismith will have almost certainly done by then?

Not until Barkley is back. But let's say Barkers isn't back for another 10 games -- can you bench someone who has scored 12 goals in 12 games which Naismith will have almost certainly done by then?
I think Lukaku and Eto'o will both start games. Where does that leave Naismith?

We wont play with 2 strikers, Davek. Why are you so quick to chuck Naismith back on the bench?

He's afraid of how good Naismith might be. He fears his unlimited scoring potential, his sat-navesque positional sense and infinite reserves of energy. Nessi is the next generation of Superman, and davek is afraid that every day he looks into the mirror, his hairline will have receded another millimetre, his accent grown more Taggart and suddenly... he feels the uncontrollable urge to DARE.

I'm thrilled for him and the club to be honest.

I can only imagine him over the past year wishing he'd get a chance and at his "correct" position to show what he could do so that he could in fact win the fans over.

I imagine he was more frustrated than even the most die hard Evertonians.

I reckon Naismith and Eto'o will be a good partnership in the European games. Players with intelligent movement is what you need in these competitions with the extra time and space they will get, they could be lethal.

We wont play with 2 strikers, Davek. Why are you so quick to chuck Naismith back on the bench?
I don't think we're playing 4-4-2 so that would surprise me. Naismith is probably going to continue as CF/AM until Ross is fit
Mourinho often played Eto'o off Milito at Inter Milan - either in the hole behind or as one of an attacking three out wide.

He gives you those options.

Personally, I cant see either Lukaku or Eto'o sitting games out. Naismith has a role to play too. He can work off the bench against tiring defences who'd find him a major problem to pin down (at least in his current form).

People need to stop seeing 'the bench' as a negative position now we are beginning to put together a very strong attacking unit.

It was mooted when Eto'o arrived at Chelsea last season that he'd be a foil for Lukaku, playing in space around Rom, and that was to be the new Chelsea way forward. Fast forward exactly one year and this seems to be Martinez's preferred way ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back