• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Suarez's Punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the question is whether he's a [Poor language removed] or not, I think that's clear long before this latest episode...I'm merely referring to the punishment for this to fit the crime

Repeat offenders for any crime see their sentences get longer. He got a total of 17 games for his previous two offences and hasn't seemed to learn his lesson. At least double that should be the starting point. I'm curious as to why you seem keen to defend him -- possibly hoping he'll move to the Camp Nou?

I see this line of argument. But the thing is - biting is something that is culturally unacceptable. Whether right or not, biting will be seen as worse than a punch or a bad tackle. And he has prior history. At a certain point these things have to be accounted for.

Keane's horror tackle should have resulted in a long, long ban. It's worse as an isolated incident that this, objectively. However, just like spitting is seen as terrible, so is biting. If Suarez cannot abide by recognized cultural norms, even after repeatedly being punished for failing to abide by those norms, then one has to come to the conclusion that he's not fit to be on a football pitch.

Actions cannot be taken in isolation when one has an extensive prior history of breaking the decency and normalcy of the football pitch. FIFA should take into account that Suarez has been banned for biting before, and banned for racism, and every other action that he has been seen to commit. This isn't about this bite. This is about the fact that he has proven incapable of controlling his actions. Or worse still, he is capable of controlling himself, and chooses to recurrently act in this manner.

And I see your point as well but biting, for me, is much further down on the list of unsportsmanlike & bannable offenses in the game...He should be banned obviously but it'd be unjust to single him out with a heavy punishment...6-8 matches seems appropriate although whatever the ban it will generate plenty of debate for some time

Repeat offenders for any crime see their sentences get longer. He got a total of 17 games for his previous two offences and hasn't seemed to learn his lesson. At least double that should be the starting point. I'm curious as to why you seem keen to defend him -- possibly hoping he'll move to the Camp Nou?

Not FIFA, separate issues

You'll have to quote where I've defended him or his actions otherwise it's a wum on your part

And I see your point as well but biting, for me, is much further down on the list of unsportsmanlike & bannable offenses in the game...He should be banned obviously but it'd be unjust to single him out with a heavy punishment...6-8 matches seems appropriate although whatever the ban it will generate plenty of debate for some time

Well, I cant recall anyone else biting players 3 or 4 times. So he has kind of singled himself out there. 10 games after his second offence. Why would it be unjust to increase that for his 3rd "alleged" offence?

No mate. There was one thing that Luis Suarez couldn't do...one thing...and that's biting another player. He is not being singled out...this is his THIRD biting offense. It is indefensible at this point.

I understand your point. It's the repeat offenses that make me think it should be more.

A career ending tackle should be 20 games+ the first time. A bite should be 10. A second tackle of that sort should possibly be a lifetime ban. A second bite? 20. A third bite? A year.

So I'm not really arguing that a bite is super high up. But repeated bites add up.

Personally, I'd ban him for life. Mostly to wind up kopites though.

You just seem to me to be questioning any kind of severe suspension. If I've misread you, sorry.

All I've been saying is that he deserves a ban but it shouldn't be excessive in light of how much media hype there is over it...For me, there are far more reprehensible things going on that deserve lengthier bans

In general, however, I'd love to see global rules & their punishments enacted & enforced consistently...As it is, FIFA, UEFA, Premiership, Primera etc. all operate under different sets of rules depending on the competition involved - there are few consistencies in that regard alone

Not FIFA, separate issues

You'll have to quote where I've defended him or his actions otherwise it's a wum on your part

Same crime though. In a massive game in the WC. Being investigated by WORLD authorities, not English, Dutch, or even UEFA.

FIFA have pretty much unlimited powers, in that they give themselves what powers they want. They should throw the book at him IMO.

Well, I cant recall anyone else biting players 3 or 4 times. So he has kind of singled himself out there. 10 games after his second offence. Why would it be unjust to increase that for his 3rd "alleged" offence?

That's the thing, I don't think a ban is inappropriate but how can you go off different suspensions in other leagues/organizations as a basis for how you carry out his involvement in a separate competition?

All I've been saying is that he deserves a ban but it shouldn't be excessive in light of much media hype there is over it...For me, there are far more reprehensible things going on that deserve lengthier bans

In general, however, I'd love to see global rules & their punishments enacted & enforced consistently...As it is, FIFA, UEFA, Premiership, Primera etc. all operate under different sets of rules depending on the competition involved - there are few consistencies in that regard alone

Agree on the latter point, but on the former, surely you can see his prior offences have to factor into any kind of lengthier suspension. If it was his first offence, sure. I find it strange you deem biting a lesser evil in the game, seeing as it is a very ugly and personal form of attack. The game is rife with players who have lashed out with a leg, fist or head -- none of which is acceptable -- but biters are a much more exclusive club, probably because 99% of players don't think like an animal.

All I've been saying is that he deserves a ban but it shouldn't be excessive in light of how much media hype there is over it...For me, there are far more reprehensible things going on that deserve lengthier bans

The ban should be excessive in light of the fact that two short bans for biting have had absolutely no effect

That's the thing, I don't think a ban is inappropriate but how can you go off different suspensions in other leagues/organizations as a basis for how you carry out his involvement in a separate competition?

Because its the same offence.

Roy Keane on Inge Haaland off the top of my head.

Keane even admitted this in his biography. Wasn't it along the lines of ' ending his career '.

That's hardly proving it is it

He admitted well after the event and was charged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back