• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Suarez's Punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's a slippery slope when you use criteria from another league/regs/players/competition etc as a basis for how you run things in FIFA and in a FIFA competition...This isn't the world court of football and FIFA is the prevailing power/judge, they rule in this competition only...unless I have misunderstood their purview

If FIFA so wanted, they could prevent Suarez from playing in any organised competition affiliated with a local or national organisation. If they saw fit, they could stop him playing 5-a-side in a competition with FA affiliated officials.

They are the very top level of football. Footballs world governing body, not just a group of foreigners that put a comp on every four years......

If FIFA so wanted, they could prevent Suarez from playing in any organised competition affiliated with a local or national organisation. If they saw fit, they could stop him playing 5-a-side in a competition with FA affiliated officials.

They are the very top level of football. Footballs world governing body, not just a group of foreigners that put a comp on every four years......

*insert incompetent/bent/sleazy/useless at will*

Well thats a different point, what FIFA will do, as opposed to what you think they should do.

And I think they should ban him, worldwide, for a long time.

Part of the same point though, banning him almost seems a moot point now...It's now down to length and the will/should/could from FIFA is at the heart of it

Will they?...I doubt it but I do think FIFA will feel pressure from the FA of England & Italy, from the general media and the fallout of Qatar/Brasil controversies relating to FIFA...So a lengthy ban is certainly possible but I would not agree with it being excessive - which was my original contention

Should they?...Obviously FIFA should ban

Can they?...As in, can FIFA ultimately act as the global judge & ruler on whether he misses for matches than he had previously?...As far as the 2014 World Cup is concerned, there are no more than 4 matches remaining for any of the Final 16 teams...If you extend it beyond 4 what will be the impact and which tournament would it impact?...You can't have it carry over to Copa America, CL or the Premiership although each league could carry out their own ban based on FIFA's ruling...or carry out a ban irrespective of FIFA's decision, even extending it to a lengthier one...Would this be excessive or within their purview eventhough he hasn't done it in that competition?...When you're banned or red carded in the Premiership, you're not banned from FIFA or UEFA

I hope Costco revoke his membership as well.

But that's just a minor punishment, he really should be facing a lengthy ban from all football.

But you know already that FIFA view themselves differently/arrogantly and their punishments are far more muted in general...I could see them factoring in prior punishments into their final ban length but I don't think they will extrapolate to make the ban longer...Just a guess of course
The fact that he's done it TWICE before is ample justification for a significantly increased punishment this time. That's a basic premise of any disciplinary or legal system. By suggesting that you think he should not get any longer a ban than last time, you are setting a "price" for players to behave this way, and Suarez has already demonstrated that he thinks it's a relative bargain. You are in fact condoning his behaviour.

If you were a player and another player bit you, you would want the book thrown at him. If you were a coach and one of your players did that, I imagine you would immediately sub him off and tell him to take a month or two off. If your child did that to another child in a game, you'd be mortified and if another child did it to yours, I bet you'd need to be restrained from inflicting physical harm - particularly if you knew that the child in question had done it TWICE before.

Anything other than a lengthy, global ban would be indefensible. I fail to see how anyone could conjure up a punishment that could be objectively viewed as "excessive" in this case. Your contrary opinion is something that, quite frankly, you should be ashamed of.

Part of the same point though, banning him almost seems a moot point now...It's now down to length and the will/should/could from FIFA is at the heart of it

Will they?...I doubt it but I do think FIFA will feel pressure from the FA of England & Italy, from the general media and the fallout of Qatar/Brasil controversies relating to FIFA...So a lengthy ban is certainly possible but I would not agree with it being excessive - which was my original contention

Should they?...Obviously FIFA should ban

Can they?...As in, can FIFA ultimately act as the global judge & ruler on whether he misses for matches than he had previously?...As far as the 2014 World Cup is concerned, there are no more than 4 matches remaining for any of the Final 16 teams...If you extend it beyond 4 what will be the impact and which tournament would it impact?...You can't have it carry over to Copa America, CL or the Premiership although each league could carry out their own ban based on FIFA's ruling...or carry out a ban irrespective of FIFA's decision, even extending it to a lengthier one...Would this be excessive or within their purview eventhough he hasn't done it in that competition?...When you're banned or red carded in the Premiership, you're not banned from FIFA or UEFA

Pretty sure they the power to issue a global ban. They certainly have the influence if not. But I think they will limit the ban to internationals.

Suarez lawyer Alejandro Balbi (who incidentally is a Uruguay FA board member):

"There's a lot of pressure from England and Italy" Balbi told local Uruguayan radio. "We’re polishing off a defence argument."

"There is a possibility that they ban him, because there are precedents, but we're convinced that it was an absolutely casual play, because if Chiellini can show a scratch on one shoulder, Suarez can show a bruised and almost shut eye," Balbi said.

"If every player starts showing the injuries he suffers and they open inquiries for them everything will be way too complicated in the future. We’re going to use all the arguments possible so that Luis gets out in the best possible way.”

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/06/25/uk-soccer-world-suarez-lawyer-idUKKBN0F01LO20140625

"There's a lot of pressure from England and Italy" Balbi told local Uruguayan radio. "We’re polishing off a defence argument."

"There is a possibility that they ban him, because there are precedents, but we're convinced that it was an absolutely casual play, because if Chiellini can show a scratch on one shoulder, Suarez can show a bruised and almost shut eye," Balbi said.

"If every player starts showing the injuries he suffers and they open inquiries for them everything will be way too complicated in the future. We’re going to use all the arguments possible so that Luis gets out in the best possible way.”

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/06/25/uk-soccer-world-suarez-lawyer-idUKKBN0F01LO20140625

Yeah...when a player has their leg snapped in two pieces, they shouldn't show it to the ref...slippery slope that.

- 2 year all-round ban for Suar-rat
- Boss new kit everyone likes, mit neues badge
- Bony signs (to be announced at 10pm with said kit, posing in it and looking boss)
- We don't have to watch England play in this world cup anymore

Pretty good day that!

It's a CONTACT SPORT. There's a reasonable expectation of incidental contact, there is NEVER an instance where biting is something justified retaliation. In any sport

Makes you wonder what Dave Watson or Pat VDH would have done to Suarez... screw the result, It'd be worth the admission fee just to see sewer rat's severed head being booted into the Lower Gwladys

The fact that he's done it TWICE before is ample justification for a significantly increased punishment this time. That's a basic premise of any disciplinary or legal system. By suggesting that you think he should not get any longer a ban than last time, you are setting a "price" for players to behave this way, and Suarez has already demonstrated that he thinks it's a relative bargain. You are in fact condoning his behaviour.

If you were a player and another player bit you, you would want the book thrown at him. If you were a coach and one of your players did that, I imagine you would immediately sub him off and tell him to take a month or two off. If your child did that to another child in a game, you'd be mortified and if another child did it to yours, I bet you'd need to be restrained from inflicting physical harm - particularly if you knew that the child in question had done it TWICE before.

Anything other than a lengthy, global ban would be indefensible. I fail to see how anyone could conjure up a punishment that could be objectively viewed as "excessive" in this case. Your contrary opinion is something that, quite frankly, you should be ashamed of.

You are in fact, without any facts...I've condoned nothing, otherwise let's see the quotes

And since this is the real world, FIFA doesn't have that sort of authority - they govern international tournaments...They are not the supreme court of football...Their bans & punishments are independent of continental or domestic associations...A lengthier ban than prior ones in other competitions that have never been analysed by FIFA would be unprecedented...Of course, this is FIFA so you can never say never

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back