Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is sad but true that Moshiri has bank-rolled some garbage. Anyone can make bad signings, I think it was the amount paid that struck me - nobody was competing with us to get Bolasie or Klaasen, so why pay so much ? Even Schneiderlin we were only competing with the mighty West Brom, so why 25m ? Did anyone come in with a bid even close to ours for Pickford, Keane or Gylfi ?

The choice pf players was bad, but the negotiations even worse. How did we go from paying 60k for Coleman to thinking it was a good idea to pay 150k a week to an untried Spanish striker - did they really believe they were competing with Real Madrid, did they really believe they could ?

People give Kenwright a hard time, but I can't believe for a second that was his spending, he was never a spendthrift.

Fellaini was a good signing too. You don't know what you've got til it's gone. It's pretty frustrating that the people that managed to get people like Cahill and Arteta for buttons had gone by the time we had cash to spend.

Fellaini was a good signing too. You don't know what you've got til it's gone. It's pretty frustrating that the people that managed to get people like Cahill and Arteta for buttons had gone by the time we had cash to spend.

..he did brilliantly did Moyes, but I suppose he wasn’t as effective with money to spend at United.

Arguably Martinez stripped the squad of the top 6 quality it had under Moyes and instead built it around 4 prodigies at the expense of quality everywhere else. Yes Stones (who Moyes bought) and Lukaku are better than anyone we have now but they were supported by the likes of Kone and Alcaraz, Atsu and McGeady.

The current squad, although shambolic in terms of attitude has a lot better depth than Martinez’s. Moshiri’s mistake was to allow Koeman/Walsh/Kenwright/Elstone control of the trainset for 2 years. He’s given that to Brands now.
You've defeated your own argument by conceding that the depth is better now than it was 2 years ago, before Moshiri (and his wallet) bought the train set.

There was a reason we were shopping in the bargain bin. We had no cash. Any we had was generated by Martinez through sales / stockpiling his miserable yearly kitty.

Will be interesting to see where Lozano goes. If it weren’t for Brands we wouldn’t even be talking about him as a realistic target. We shouldn’t underestimate that relationship and I’ve a feeling it might be the statement signing we need to kick start our latest revolution.

I agree. Plus his agent will have an influence as to where he ends up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back