Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know what is happening?

We should be prioritising incomings given how terrible the team is. Less than 5 weeks until the first game and we’ll have new signings not really knowing their team mates.

This is 2016 all over again.

Sell to buy, will end up having another terrible season.
Because Brands has said that the wage bill needs cutting and players need to be offloaded? I mean we did have 38 players and a huge wage bill and you're going on about bringing players in.

ffs open your eyes.

I'm not yet overly concerned, but I do hope that Brands and Silva aren't finding that the job is more difficult than they had imagined already. I expected we would encounter big difficulties in moving on players, and that seems to be the case. That should not come as a surprise to them.

The way things are shaping up could be that we'll see a few more leave, but could see the majority of them go on loan and those sort of deals are more suited to deadline week / day. If we fail to move players on, that also puts us in a poor negotiating position for incomings as clubs know that we are working under constraints.

I still hope we can sign four players, and get three in by the end of July. I would be ok with trying to get another on deadline day but if we are going into the day needing more than one then the concern is you get ripped off, and you compromise on quality. The pressure is so great that clubs lose their discipline and on occasion take almost anyone that's offered, particularly later in the day, rather than signing nobody.

I'd actually rather nobody in than players who are either overpriced, not good enough, or both. That just replaces players we have already worked hard to get rid of, with more of the same.

There is a difference between sell to buy, and sell before you buy, but in all honesty the distinction is meaningless. Fans want signings and want them yesterday. DBB has already referred to the amount of meetings taking place, and being at FF herself to facilitate things. In that context I'd be amazed if we failed to do some business inwards, with a new CEO / DOF / Manager all keen to get off to a decent start. Whilst we were never going to see a repeat of last summer, and thank goodness, I don't think it will be as bad as the other extreme either.

There are a lot of moves to be made, and a messy market, we just have to wait and see for a little while longer.

I get that our wage bill is too high and Brands nd Silva May have some biggish names they want to go after but need to free up salaries. Brands has brought some very good South Americans over fir not much money. These were the sort of signings I was looking forward to and surely would not cost that much. This is what is making me think the only money available is what the sell.

Boss going out in both cups at the first time of asking to prolong our misery of not winning anything.

At least we finished 7th, though. All about the 7th.

Well it wasn't the worst, wasn't the best.

Played some good footy with exciting youngsters coming through and had a great home record. A huge turnaround on the previous Martinez season.

Poor in the cups.

Add in the possible savings on the wage bill if Klaassen, Ramirez, Besic and maybe Niasse as well, that would be another significant reduction to then potentially go into re-investment into players better researched and identified by a DoF/manager combination working together unlike Koeman/Walsh who patently did not !!

What I think Moshiri has done is come in, get a manager a DOF and throw money behind a model of buying some ‘ready to go’ players with some investment in youth. Good idea executed appallingly.

He’s not only sacked the manager and DOF and reshuffled tue board but also got behind what looks like a much more sensible and sustainable philosophy for a club of our size and current capabilities. Ie putting youth first and ruthlessly moving any older players that no longer add value to the club.

Play a certain way, buy potential and sell at a profit and keep doing it. All the while we can add the occasional more mature proven pro. What a lot of Dutch, Belgian, Spanish and French clubs have been doing now for quite a while. (Moyes with more money and better football!?!?)

I think this is the way to go. Imagine if we get this right and have the sort of season Monaco, Dortmund, Atletico, Sevilla or Leicester have had recently.

I’ve wandered way off topic but I’m at a birthday party that’s kicked the ale off early doors so my most sincere apologies

Well it wasn't the worst, wasn't the best.

Played some good footy with exciting youngsters coming through and had a great home record. A huge turnaround on the previous Martinez season.

Poor in the cups.
Any season we don’t win anything and fail to make the Champions League places is a bad year.

How do you know what is happening?

We should be prioritising incomings given how terrible the team is. Less than 5 weeks until the first game and we’ll have new signings not really knowing their team mates.

This is 2016 all over again.

Sell to buy, will end up having another terrible season.

Couldn’t disagree more.

I’d much rather see Silva/Brands properly access the situation & the players individually before making rash decisions.

It’s imperative we get the squad down to a sensible number. Can’t have 10-15 senior pros who’re not getting games causing a bad attitude around the squad. We need a tight, competitive group with no bad apples.

Besides, most of the business in any window is done in the last 2 weeks & most of that in the last 2 days. What’s the rush?

We'll make signings.

We have more than enough time.

It's clear that the priority is shipping players out and also establishing if we can use the players we spent so much money on in the last few years - which is what Silva will be doing right now.

Definitely need improvements in key areas but they will come in, 3-4 signings - of quality, in the right positions - and we've had a good summer.
How do you plan to convince those players to leave without signing their replacements first...Bolasie will not go anywhere as long as he is getting pay as much as he is and he knows that there is not a huge competition right now in his position which means that as it stands he will be getting time on the pitch.

How do you plan to convince those players to leave without signing their replacements first...Bolasie will not go anywhere as long as he is getting pay as much as he is and he knows that there is not a huge competition right now in his position which means that as it stands he will be getting time on the pitch.
Because Brands or Silva will tell players they aren't in his plans and some might stay for the pay cheque some will just wanna play Football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back